some doubts about FW

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
marcos
Council Member

white hand rules wrote:PLAYING RESOURCES AT A SITE - In order to play a non-Fallen-wizard resource that would normally tap a site, either the site and the resource to be played must both be hero cards or they must both be minion cards. For these purposes, a Fallen-wizard site card (or any Wizardhaven) is both a hero and minion site. This applies to all factions, allies, and items; as well as other cards played during the site phase that tap the site.
according to this rule, a minor item played exactly after tapping a site can be either minion or hero since that item doesn't tap the site... Am i wrong?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Marcos wrote:according to this rule, a minor item played exactly after tapping a site can be either minion or hero since that item doesn't tap the site... Am i wrong?
It dependent on what you understand as "would normally tap a site". First item played at the under-deeps usually taps the site, tha same item played as second (in addition) does not tap the site (because the site is already tapped). Your interpretation would mean that you could (as FW) play at hero The Under-Gates the Orcrist and then the Black Mace, but not the Black Mace and then the Orcrist (or maybe even both items could be played by FW there without problems).
I think that resource that "would not normally tap a site" is resource that never taps the site (in all circumstances). Rest fall into the category "would normally tap a site".
CRF, Errata (Rules) wrote:White Hand Rules, Playing and Using Resource, Targeting Site and Resource Cards:
change both instances of "resource card may not target/affect" to "resource event card may not target/affect."
So Secret Book can be used to untapping or making Information playable on hero site. Using Secret Book targets the site.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

To further elucidate, an ally like the Warg King, though playable at a tapped site, normally taps a site when played. A card like Creature Of An Older World, though it does not normally tap the site, is not playable at a tapped site.

Understand that distinction is vital to understanding the case of free minor items for FWs. Any minor item will normally tap the site when played, except in cases where the site does not normally tap upon play of the item.

Some interesting things:

The first minor item at Minion Framsburg does normally tap the site, but the ability of Framsburg supersedes this.
Likewise the Minion worthy hills.
However, factions played under a Leader do not normally tap the site (not tapping the site is written on the text of the faction itself).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:A card like Creature Of An Older World, though it does not normally tap the site, is not playable at a tapped site.
Probably inaccurate example:
Creature of an Older World wrote:Unique. Playable on a Ringwraith at a tapped or untapped Barad-dûr (does not tap the site). Your Ringwraith receives +2 prowess. If your Ringwraith is the only creature in his company, the company is in Fell Rider mode and may move freely (using starter movement). Tap this ally to cancel a strike against your Ringwraith or to assign your Ringwraith's strikes against a hero company as you choose before hero strikes are assigned. Return your Ringwraith to your hand if this ally leaves active play.
Cursive and bold original.

P.S.
"Playable on a Ringwraith at a tapped or untapped Barad-dûr" is mental leap. At resolution it means "Playable at Barad-dûr, may by played on a Ringwraith, at tapped or untapped site (does not tap the site).

Items, allies and factions are playable at site whether site is tapped or not, hero or minion. At the worst case thay cannot be played at tapped site or at opposite version of site.
This distinction is important for purposes of cards like Come At Need.
sly southerner

This is a really interesting topic and discussion, but I am getting a little confused! Are there any hero resources that a FW can play at a minion site and vice versa?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Yes. Some examples:

Minion

Black Rain *
Stabbed Him In His Sleep *
That Ain't A Secret
That's Been Heard Before Tonight

Hero

Barrow-Blade *
Mathom Lore *
Choice of Luthien *
Knowledge of The Enemy *
Lucky Search *
Mirror of Galadriel
Stone of Erech

* resources that strictly are not playable at site, but are playable on character at specific site. May be played, because they does not make any effect on the site.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:A card like Creature Of An Older World, though it does not normally tap the site, is not playable at a tapped site.
Probably inaccurate example:
Now it's my turn: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
marcos
Council Member

what about a site where minor items are not playable? if i cannot play it there then it normally doesn't tap the site...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

marcos wrote:what about a site where minor items are not playable? if i cannot play it there then it normally doesn't tap the site...
The same like for major item played at Framsburg with help of the Bounty of The Hoard, or major item played at hero [-me_sh-] with help of the Thing Stolen.

Does it mean , that if item is not normally playable at site it "would normally tap a site"?

EDIT:
Should be:
Does it mean , that if item is not normally playable at site it "would not normally tap a site"?
Last edited by Konrad Klar on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Normally mean "as written on the card, not considering other card's effects."

A minor item normally taps a site when played. Whether the item can be played at a given site is considering other card's effects. The phrase you need on an item, ally, or faction is "does not tap the site when played" or words to that effect. Compare with such cards as Helm of Fear, Radagast's Black Bird, or Orcs of Gorgoroth.

Permanent Events only tap the site if so written on their card, so things like Seize Prisoners and Rescue Prisoners can be played at a site of either alignment.
marcos
Council Member

marcos wrote:
white hand rules wrote:PLAYING RESOURCES AT A SITE - In order to play a non-Fallen-wizard resource that would normally tap a site, either the site and the resource to be played must both be hero cards or they must both be minion cards. For these purposes, a Fallen-wizard site card (or any Wizardhaven) is both a hero and minion site. This applies to all factions, allies, and items; as well as other cards played during the site phase that tap the site.
according to this rule, a minor item played exactly after tapping a site can be either minion or hero since that item doesn't tap the site... Am i wrong?
dunno what was the reasonning behind his answer, but mark said i was correct here. Hope he can post his thoughts
Bruce
Ex Council Member

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago in this thread on meccg.net.
MELE rulesbook (page 15) wrote:Clarification: A site is tapped when one item, ally, or faction card is played at that site. The play of certain other resource cards may tap sites - such a card will specifically state that playing it taps the site.
Acccording with this rule, an ally, item, faction always taps a site when it is played on an untapped site, unless the ally's, item's, faction's card text states otherwise, e.g. Radagast's Black Bird. Other resources (i.e. events) may tap the site if the card text says to, e.g. The Windlord Found Me, To Satisfy the Questioner, Dreams of Lore...

I share Konrad's interpretation: any item, including a minor item, would always tap the site it is played on, no matter how it became playable there (whether according to the site card's text, or by means of Thing Stolen, or some other effect which makes an item playable even though it wouldn't normally be playable there), then IMO the free minor item must share the site's alignment.

A minor item which doesn't tap the site as stated on its card text could be played as a free minor item at a site of opposing alignment, but I can't remember if there's any such item.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:Permanent Events only tap the site if so written on their card, so things like Seize Prisoners and Rescue Prisoners can be played at a site of either alignment.
Interesting. Some time ago I have heard at meccg.net that it makes an effect on the site, this effect is that it "cannot by duplicated at a given site". So it cannot be played at site of opposite alignment. The same for the Burning Rick, Cot and Tree, and for the Smoke On The Wind.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That is inaccurate. It only affects other instances of the event, making them unplayable at a certain site. It does not add any ability to the site.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

So...

Keys of Orthanc
Seize Prisoners
Smoke on The Wind
(untapping the site with Secret Book [played somewhere else])
Men of Anorien

...in the same site phase - that is legal. :)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”