California Players

Goblin King

The last time I played GCCG was three computers ago. I've also since switched to Apple and have yet to try and figure it out.
Muad'Dib

Playing on Mac its not a big problem. Just follow instructions on GCCG page how to compile files, it takes 20 minutes. Its also possible to use windows version. Install Wineskin and copy inside working GCCG. Thats even better solution, works perfect (normal GCCG Mac Os have some problems).
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Red Arrow

Hello folks!

ConquestSac was a blast! We did a round robin and played 3 rounds. We used challenge decks for this event. As stated by Ralph there were 4 of us in the event so it gave us a chance to play everyone.

Ralph who is from Sacramento, organized the event. Gene and Larry drove from SF to join us. I have known Ralph and Gene from meccg events done at OrcCon years ago. It was great to see them again. Larry is a new comer to the game but his grasp of middle earth is way better than mine.

Anyway, my first round was against Gene who is a very good meccg player. The only reason i beat him was because of the corruption checks at the council. I had to concede the second round to Larry who killed Thorin on my first turn (sob) and pretty much decimated my dwarven company in the following turns. The third round I got to play Ralph and we ended up tied at the council.

It would be nice do this again if not in Sacramento maybe in SF next year. I would really like to get an event for Gateway 2013 in LA over the Labor Day weekend. If you are interested PM me. Better yet post something here that you too want it to happen. You never know it just might inspire more people to come and play again.

What will be nice to do though is a group effort for an MECCG event over a weekend (a mini con) by players from the western states. I'm hoping that people who play in Cali, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Dakota, Colorado etc. will organize and meet (SF?) play meccg. Think 'Lure' in the Pacific. Not a tournament just a weekend or even just a day with fellow folks who love this game and not have to worry that they will play another game in the convention. I might be dreaming here but ... who knows. I mean last year, I didn't event think about going to a convention let alone play meccg again.
Red Arrow

I got the chance to go to Kublacon 2013 last Sunday May 26 and 27 and meet up with Gene and Larry from San Francisco. Larry and Gene were at the con starting Saturday. We mostly did casual games using challenge decks and afterwards some modded challenge decks. On Sunday all three of us played from lunch till about 6pm. After that we were joined by John an old friend of Gene that used to be in his play group 'council of the grey havens'. He just happened to see Gene earlier in the day at the con and joined us in the evening. All four of us played till about 11pm on Sunday. It was fun!

The next day Monday it was just me, Gene and Larry. We did a 3-way multi-player game. They picked me up at the hotel where I was staying which was less than 2 minutes from the convention. We started around 9:30am and wrapped up everything by 1:30pm. I had to make a 4hour drive to get home.

The Kublacon meet was hatched in about 3-4 week period. Ralph from Sacramento had commitments that weekend and couldn't make it. We would've completed the group we had from ConquestSac. We're glad that John was able to join us. I almost didn't make it due to some last minute events in my neck of the woods. I made it none the less but my two kids who were supposed to be with me, couldn't. Maybe another time.

During the con there were players who looked and asked what the game was and then there were those that looked and were glad to see the game still being played. One player in his late 20s said " Oh wow, The original middle earth CCG! You guys need to be commended for playing this game." He bowed reverently, smiled and went his way. That was both nice and sad at the same time because he recognized the game but couldnt play it. Sigh, anyway one step at a time. We could've just met up and played somewhere else but we wanted other people to know that meccg still lives, and we believe we did just that.

I have a feeling with longer planning and more announcements and word of mouth we could get 8 or more people to play this at a convention. I do believe that an meccg event at Kublacon is possible again next year. Actually, I'm looking forward to it now LOL.

BTW, I got to play Boromir (reluctantly) in two games having a ring one time and a major item the next. Larry played alone and unadvised on him and Boromir survived a series of 4 corruption checks in each game!

Another thing, I am seriously planning on running on having an MECCG event at Gateway 2013 aka Strategicon during Labor Day in Los Angeles. If you are interested, please PM and give your support for meccg.
Goblin King

Sorry I missed the weekend-long event. :cry:
Well, my newly painted front and back porches look nice anyhow and my wife is happier for it.
ConQuest Sacramento was so successful they are going to have another con in November.
Perhaps then?
Dior

I was *at* Kublacon on Saturday!!! Couldn't be there Sunday. :cry: If I had been, I would have *loved* to hook up with you guys and play. I haven't played since the Pacificon event I ran a couple years ago. *sigh* Well, I'm in the San Jose area, so anytime you plan a get-together, let me know! :)
traderider

I was very happy for the opportunity to play in a tournament setting at ConQuest Sacramento back in April. I started playing MECCG with Gene back in May 2010, and I can say without doubt that MECCG has the steepest learning curve any CCG I’ve tried (M:TG, Pokemon, LotR CCG, and LotR LCG). However, with Gene’s patient tutelage and playing at least twice a month, I finally began to understand the vast scope and awesome depth of this game.

I wasn’t too keen on the challenge decks when I started, mostly because I hadn’t really figured out how to play them properly. I’ve typically played constructed hero decks (incorporating many proxies, due to my limited collection) and am starting to learn minion decks, but it was refreshing to return to the challenge decks at ConQuest. With all the extra characters and diverse sideboards, the decks are well-balanced and surprisingly resilient.

I don’t remember all the details about my game with Gene, so perhaps he can fill in the gaps. But it was definitely the longest game we’ve played ever, clocking in at around 3 hours. I prefer Deck D (“Bargain Between Friends”) because the resource side is straightforward and Radagast draws a lot of cards, and that’s exactly how it started out. On the hazard size, some early body checks resulted in the demise of most of Gene’s starting characters (including Gandalf), capped by two boxcars in the space of 3 rolls!

Still, Gene hung in there with his remaining characters and my points eventually topped out at just over 20. Thinking I needed to obtain just one more item so I can call, my party departed the Iron Hill Dwarf Hold for Buhr Widu—and met their doom. Double-wilderness and Ruins & Lairs creatures bushwhacked Radagast and company, and soon thereafter Aragorn returned to Gene’s company and sealed the deal. It was an epic comeback and a well-deserved victory, with Ralph and Ben witnessing it all!

I’d like to thank Ralph for hosting our gathering at ConQuest, and Ben for making the drive. Ben was also able to drive to KublaCon (at the SFO Hyatt) over the Memorial Day weekend, where I witnessed him “beat a 7” several times in a row to save Boromir from near-certain corruption. Apparently, Boromir does not fall to Alone and Unadvised, he will do so only to the One Ring!

Am very happy to be part of the MECCG community, and looking forward to more gaming in the near future. I probably will not be able to go to LA over the Labor Day weekend due to schedule conflicts, but another visit to Sacramento in November is very likely.
Red Arrow

Hello all,

Just an update about rumblings of meccg gatherings. Goblin King might setup one at the new ConquestSac spinoff called Conquest Avalon in November. Traderider is suggesting the next Pacificon on Laborday in the Bay area as another possible moot.

I can't be at Pacificon but I will be running a Challenge Deck event at the Laborday Strategicon called Gateway at Los Angeles. And most possibly a constructed event after that. Both will be on Saturday

PM me if you're interested or better yet post here. Me and my two teens are going to be there and I'm hoping atleast 2-4 more players to join us. So if you like to play MECCG dust of those decks and as I've said in the past... "Lets get ready to Muster!"
Red Arrow

OK folks here's an update. I initially planned for a challenge deck game from 2-6pm but I didn't get the 2pm slot. But I was able to get a 12noon to 4pm slot for the challenge decks and... a 5pm-9pm Constructed deck event. So two meccg games at Gateway 2013 both will be on Saturday with a 1 hour break in between to find some sustenance.

I encourage those who will participate to bring their challenge deck of choice. Or I can lend you one of mine. Proxies are welcome. Both events will be in a casual/friendly environment, then again as far as I can remember its always been like that. Dust of those Decks! See you guys in Los Angeles!

The fires of Amon Din are lit! The Red Arrow has been sent... Let's get ready to Muster!!!
JeekElem

Hello,

My name is Bruce and I am from Southern California. I pull out the cards and go over them every so often and look them over. This time I saw that there is a tournament planned at at Gateway this month and would like to attend. Last time I played was 3ish years ago and before that probably around a decade ago before that at a Stratigicon tournament. I originally played up through the Dragons expansion but have most of the cards from collecting. I'll be very very rough on rules.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

You guys may want to reach out to Mark Alfano. I know he's moving / moved to Oregon. I know it's not Cali, but you may be able to work something out.
Red Arrow

Hi Bruce, It would be great if you can join us at Gateway! Looking forward to seeing you there. I'll try and post a burning lidless eye banner for all to see

Sauron, Yeah that would be cool if something can be worked out with players from Oregon, especially the guys from the bay area who have a contact with meccg players from Oregon.

Also, there used to be people who regularly traveled from Arizona, like Jim Gutt and Chris Lefevre, who went to Strategicon in Los Angeles to play meccg. I tried to email them but the emails I have don't work anymore. It would be nice to meet them again too. If you guys have any info please pm me, thanks.
traderider

Red Arrow wrote:The fires of Amon Din are lit! The Red Arrow has been sent... Let's get ready to Muster!!!

And the Bay Area will answer!! :D
Red Arrow

traderider wrote:
Red Arrow wrote:The fires of Amon Din are lit! The Red Arrow has been sent... Let's get ready to Muster!!!
And the Bay Area will answer!! :D
Does that mean we'll be seeing you guys in LA? That will really be awesome!
JeekElem

I will not be preregistering since I do not see that available for the one day pass but I will be there. Looking forward to playing the game again. Cyall there.

Return to “USA MECCG Community”