VOTE HERE - Charter Revision 2019

Announcements & discussion of CoE related issues.

Are you in favor of making the proposed changes to our Charter outlined below?

Poll ended at Sat May 04, 2019 7:00 am

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

All forum members are welcome and encouraged to vote on this Charter amendment!

Up for proposed change are the following 3 sections from our Charter:

SECTION 1:
b) Procedure: All candidates will be listed on the Council of Elrond forum. The Council shall appoint an independent non-Council member to maintain this list and monitor the votes.
I propose changing this language to:
b) Procedure: All candidates will be listed on the Council of Elrond forum. The Chairman will be responsible for organizing the election and creating the polling topic or delegating another willing Council member to complete this task. An independent non-Council member will be selected by the Council to audit the final vote results to ensure they are accurate.
Reasoning for this change: This change allows the Chairman & Council greater flexibility to ensure elections are held on schedule as expected. It may be difficult for the Chairman & Council to find an independent non-Council member who is available at the needed time and has the forum permissions and knowledge to orchestrate the elections by himself. It will be much easier for the Council & Chairman to simply find a non-Council member to verify the vote results are correct.

SECTION 2:
The duration of the Annual Rules Vote will be three weeks and will take place in June of each year.
The duration of the Annual Rules Vote will be three weeks and voting will take place sometime between June 1st and September 30th of each year. Effort will be made to allow at least 4-6 weeks between the closing of the vote and our annual Worlds event.
Reasoning for this change: This change allows the ROC more flexibility and time to prepare the ARV if needed. Due to the possibility of very high ARV submission numbers, as well as the timing of Council activities and elections, the current timeline may pose problems for the ROC.

SECTION 3:
For each measure on the docket, there will be two voting options: the first option will be to maintain the status quo (no change); the second option will be to create a new errata, clarification, or rule as appropriate. In order for the status quo to be changed, the following must take place: no more than one third of Council member votes (33.3% of the electorate) or half of the total votes (50% of the community) cast are in favor of the status quo. Council Member votes are also tallied in the total (community) votes. Any individual member of the Council of Elrond forum may cast one vote. In the event there is reasonable doubt as to what the status quo is for a particular rule, two options will be presented and a simple majority from the community (including electorate votes) will determine the outcome.
Each measure which meets the requirements of a change in status quo will be announced by the Chair and take effect immediately.
Any ballot item which passes the popular vote by a qualified majority of 67% or more of all votes will be considered passed and an erratum or clarification as appropriate will be issued. Any ballot item which passes the popular vote by a simple majority of greater than 50% but less than 67% of all votes will be decided by tallying Council Member votes for that item. If 34% or more of Council Member votes are in opposition to the simple majority outcome, the ballot item will be considered null and void and no rule erratum or clarification will be issued. (Example: Option A receives 55% of the popular vote and 4 of 9 Council Members voted for Option B; this ballot item would be considered null and void).
The ROC will endeavor to limit the voting options for each ballot item to two. However, at their discretion, they may choose to include more than two options to be voted on. In the event there are more than two options provided, a single option must receive a simple majority of more than 50% of all votes to pass. In this case, 66% or more of Council Member votes must be in opposition to the simple majority in order to prevent passage. If 66% or more of Council Member votes are in favor of options that did not receive the simple majority, the ballot item will be considered null and void.
Reasoning for this change:
This change relieves the unnecessary burden on the ROC of determining whether or not each ballot item should be considered a "status quo" item. Instead, it strives to treat all ballot items equally, while still attempting to maintain a checks and balances system.

Reference Topic for the above changes with additional opinions and commentary can be found here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 118&t=3786
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Havent been at home much during last week, so i wanted to do a relaxed voting today, alas, i missed the deadline by a few hours. for the record, here is another "aye".
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Same here, another "aye" from me.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Theo

And I was disappointed I did not receive an email notification of this.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thanks Thorsten and thorondor, and thanks to the rest of those who voted!

This Charter revision has passed and revisions will be implemented in short order and uploaded to our home page.

Theo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:22 pm And I was disappointed I did not receive an email notification of this.
I apologize. It was a personal decision made by myself not to blast email the entire MECCG mail list (I believe around 3,000 people), nor to blast PM the entire forum membership (over 1,000 people). My reasons for not doing this were:
1) The modifications to the Charter with this revision are relatively minor tweaks.
2) I want to reserve these large blasts for those announcements I feel are of high importance (Council Member elections, Annual Rules Vote, etc). If I blast too often, human nature (I believe) is for people to start to tune out. I would much rather them miss a minor Charter revision than a much bigger, more important event.

Also, I did have the Charter Revision Topic requesting feedback posted for well over a month, and this topic made it clear a Charter vote would be coming soon. Once the Vote opened, I made it a Global Announcement, so that it literally could not be missed by anyone who logged into the forum during that week.

Return to “Council Business”