Passive condition produced outside of chain of effects

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF wrote:Annotation 9: If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive condition. The passive condition must exist when this resulting action is resolved in its own chain of effects, or the action is canceled. Note that actions in the strike sequence follow a different set of rules.
Annotation 9a: If a card is required to be discarded by some passive condition, the card is discarded immediately when the condition resolves, not in the following chain of effects.
What if passive condition is produced not in chain of effects (and action is not "discard")? E.g. when some actions are triggered at the start of M/H phase, before any declaration?

Proposed solution:
If passive condition is produced not in chain of effects this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the new chain of effects. No chain of effects may be started before this chain of effects.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Example of such a situation?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Start of M/H phase, Snowstorm, at least one [-me_wi-] in company's path.
miguel
Ex NetRep

The ruling below was actually the first time I created a broader framework for the game, and it (section C) applies to the situation at hand. I bolded the most relevant part:
CoE Rules Digest #112 wrote:(4) The question has arisen how one is supposed to deal with sites that have effects in their card text, e.g. hero Mt Doom and minion Isles of the Dead that Live. This led us to a total formalization of the beginning of the movement-hazard phase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The beginning of a company's movement-hazard phase unfolds thus:
(A) Revealing the site: Simultaneously determine the company's site path and the base hazard limit. This happens immediately, and cannot be responded to.
* Opponent halving the hazard limit in order to sideboard affects the base hazard limit.
* There are special rules concerning Under-deeps movement. (CRF: Rulings by Term: Under-deeps)

(B) Resolution of the site: Simultaneously draw cards, resolve other effects of the site card, and apply any other relevant effects in play. This happens immediately, and cannot be responded to.
* Annotation 26 applies here, except for hazard limit modifying effects which were in play prior to the start of the movement/hazard phase.

(C) First chain of effects: Effects that were played during the organization phase and depend on the site or site path of a moving company, create an effect which is now declared along with actions from passive conditions.
* After all of these effects/actions have been declared, players are free to add to this chain of effects by playing cards and/or declaring more actions.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

End of M/H phase, Lure of Nature, at least one [-me_wi-] in company's path.
End of Untap phase, Lure of Senses on character at [-me_ha-].
(Covetous Thoughts already covered by CRF, Turn Sequence, End-of-Turn Phase)

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”