A Chance Meeting Playability (AGAIN)

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Ben Sorenson wrote:I've seen a lot of things saying "Chance Meeting was ruled that way" to defend its current use.

Konrad Klar took the view that Chance Meeting enables character play because a short-event's effects are instantly implemented and Chance Meeting should be read as allowing a character to be played rather than modifying how a character may be played.

However, in a discussion on Eagle Mounts, I used this same argument to say that when Eagle Mounts resolves (it does not require a moving company), its effect enables a company to move outside of the m/h phase -- in much the same way that Chance Meeting currently allows a character to be played outside of the organization phase despite the rules on character play.

Miguel disagreed, citing Chance Meeting a special case (Strider along with it, apparently, but not the Witch-King or Black Horse), which led me to look for the original ICE ruling on Chance Meeting being playable at any time and in addition to the one character per turn limit.

I can't find it.

The closest thing is in Van Digest 585, wherein we have:

Quote:
2.) A Chance Meeting

Q: May I use this card to bring my wizard in play ? And what will be the amount of his mind ? May I use ACM at any time during my turn (during movement hazard phase to assign the new character a strike; will this increase the number of hazards) ? May I play a second character with ACM during organisation phase ?

A: No, you can't use A Chance Meeting to bring in Wizards. You can only play A Chance Meeting when you are at a site, normally, the Untap, Organization, Site and End of Turn phases.

The question asks four things:

1) Can I play a wizard and what will be his mind if so?
2) May I use ACM at any time during my turn?
3) Can I use it during the movement/hazard phase to assign a new character a strike?
4) May I play a second character during the Organization phase?

His response only answers two of them:

1) No.
3) You must be at a site to play Chance Meeting. Normally, a company is at site during phases other than the m/h phase.

4) Was never even touched.

And the heart of the problem is 2) which is not directly addressed and only inferentially ruled on. All this digest says is that Chance Meeting can't be played if you aren't at a site.

It doesn't say anything about Chance Meeting enabling character play or being playable at any time. No direct answer was given to this question.

There's ample room in his answer to say that the standard response for Chance Meeting questions -- ICE ruled it that way -- isn't quite good enough. ICE didn't rule that way unless there's some bit of documentation not available to the general public.

A strong indication is the Old Road ruling from the CoE in digest 74:

Quote:
About old road, since it's a short event, can it be played at any time during your turn if your are at a haven ?

*** No. It must be played during your site phase.

There is no direct ICE ruling saying that Chance Meeting is playable at any time. Even the inferential evidence is shaky. The CoE has with Old Road ruled that cards modifying how something may be played do not modify whether something must be played. Chance Meeting does not directly enable character play -- it modifies how the character may be played.

The current interpretation (in many people's opinion) has a disastrous effect on gameplay (the best method for dealing with automatic attacks is to bypass them entirely -- something the auto-attack annotation was designed to prevent -- not to mention that half of the Balrog mind reduction rule came around because of abuses with We Have Come to Kill -- and keeping in mind that the Strider ruling follows the Chance Meeting logic, which really doesn't seem to have been much logic at all) and the standard response has been "That's the way ICE ruled it." Except they really didn't.

That being the case, and keeping in mind Konrad's and my positions here, is the play of A Chance Meeting/We Have Come To Kill actually legal under circumstances other than when character play is allowable?

If it is legal, then:

1) Why was Old Road ruled to only be playable during the site phase? Should that ruling be updated?

2) Would Eagle Mounts work in a similar manner (upon resolution of the Short Event, the company moves outside of the m/h phase because the short event's effects are immediately implemented)?

If it isn't legal, let us know ASAP so that people actually have to work to get around auto-attacks. Smile
The main concern here is the interpretation of Van's digest. In particular, Ben points out that Van said:
(A) You may play ACM on a company only if it is at a site.
but not:
(B) You may play ACM on a company if it is at a site (and certain other requirements are met).

Fair enough. However, I think it's also pretty clear that Van would not have said (A) if he did not also mean (B). Why? Well, he goes on to mention phases outside the org phase. If he didn't mean (B) as well as (A), this would be utterly senseless.

Hence, I'm inclined to see Van's digest as asserting both (A) and (B).

Now the question is how far we should generalize from this interpretation of ACM to other cards like Eagle Mounts. My suggestion: not far at all. David has said before that Van's ruling should be construed as a covert erratum. While I want to skip over any moral judgments on Van, I think this way of viewing the matter is essentially correct.

Thoughts?
Last edited by zarathustra on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.alfanos.org
Wacho

I've been avoiding the Eagle-Mounts discussion since that has been hashed and rehashed many times, but here is the relevant rule from the CRF detailing how Eagle-Mounts and other similar cards play out.
Effects that are played during the organization phase, and depend on the site or site path of a moving company, create an effect which is not declared until the new site is revealed. If the site or site path is not of the appropriate type when the effect resolves, the resource has no effect. If the company has multiple movement/hazard phases on the same turn, the card applies separately to each phase, having an effect only if the correct conditions are met.
The effect of Eagle-Mounts doesn't actually resolve until the m/h phase.

As to ACM, Van's ruling certainly makes it clear that you can play the card during phases other than m/h phases. However, you still would not be able to play it during the site phase until after you faced the auto-attack.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Ok a quick note about Eagle-mounts first. I don’t think that CRF quote applies, because Eagle-mounts’ effect must be in play when you reveal the new site (and also its effect doesn’t really depend on the new site, more like vice versa). When revealed, should the site be too many regions away for normal movement, the move would be illegal and Eagle-mounts’ effect would not have time to resolve a 2nd time. If this is something you want to discuss further, please open a new thread for it. However for the ACM ruling, I also consider Eagle-mounts to be irrelevant.

Now to the actual subject. The ruling is... poorly worded. It starts out well, but the end seems very erratic, and as Ben pointed out, it doesn’t even cover all the subjects the question included. I know ICE digests are considered a bit special, but some answers in them were overturned in their time, making the digests less than 100% reliable. If we disregard the old ruling for a moment...

Consistency

The best case ruleswise Ben makes is the Old Road.
Old Road wrote: Allows a character at a Haven [H] to attempt to bring a faction into play. The length of the site path from this Haven to the site at which the faction can be played must be two or less (this must be verified by an available site card). The influence check for this attempt is modified by -1 and is not modified by the influencing character's direct influence.
CoE Digest #11 wrote: 3. I can't find anything that tells me I can't use Old Road in the org phase, or even that it results in the Haven or the remote site tapping.
*** CRF Site Phase/General: "Items, factions and allies must be played during the site phase."
*** CRF Site Phase/General: "The site taps upon successful play of the resource that would tap it."
Now, Hour of Need does get you a faction in the organization phase, because it spesifies when you may use it. Old Road does not, so the rules win over it.

ACM does not spesify when, and organization phase is the time according to the rules. So by this rationale, ACM would be only playable in the org phase. It even makes sense thematically:
(1) Wizards are supposed to be active, so they move around instead of sitting at a Haven. That makes it hard for them to acquire new followers, and that’s where ACM comes in.
(2) Ringwraiths are not active, and having the main company on the other side of the map makes it difficult to send reinforcements, so in comparison it makes perfect sense to have WHCtK play a character under general influence.

Meta-implications

Currently the strongest use for ACM/WHCtK, like Ben said, is to play them after facing the automatic-attacks at a site. This way you can have all your characters tapped (heck, you can even have them all tapped during the move/haz phase already) and still get what you came for. This makes River a very strong card, nearly a must in every top level deck.

Ben also stated the Balrog issue, which indeed puts another twist on WHCtK. Outdoors Map-decks benefit the most since you can get a 3-minded ranger from sideboard when all your other rangers are already tapped out (and Heedless can’t tap the rest for play of Map)... but of course WHCtK is a huge card for other Balrog decks too. Having to play the characters in org phase only would certainly level the playingfield a bit.

Top level decks also benefit from being able to play ACM/WHCtK whenever a company is at a site. It certainly helps the cardflow when you can use it during move/haz phase on a company that hasn’t moved yet, or even in end-of-turn phase after drawing up to your handsize. The fast decks become even faster. It adds a high-octane (read MtG) feel to the game, which IMHO isn’t what MeCCG is all about.

...and we’re back with the ruling. I do think this ruling is something ICE would have had to deal with again sooner or later. How it would have turned out, I don’t know. Without the ruling I wouldn’t even think twice about when ACM is playable, so this is really a matter of how much credit we give that particular ruling and the current interpretation of it. I would like to get some more thoughts from our advisors about this matter.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Although I'm afraid I haven't got much to say about rulings on this question, I believe that, thematically, being able to play ACM/WHCTK at any time when you are at site is correct.

There has been some confussion about when are ACM/WHTCK playable in the past, but now it seems people has agreed to play it one way. I have notinced that people, in general, doesn't like the NetRep team acting separately from the popular voice, and when something like this is changed, they tend to see it as an arbitrary decission. We should, in my opinion, work into making a rule to clarify the current use of those cards if they're not clear enough (which is the case) but not give yet another blow to the gameplay, as not everyone is SO comfortable with the NetRep making "official rules" that changes so much the metagame.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Manuel wrote:There has been some confussion about when are ACM/WHTCK playable in the past, but now it seems people has agreed to play it one way.
As you can see, not all agree. I think in Poland it's playable only in the organization phase (Konrad?).
Manuel wrote: I have notinced that people, in general, doesn't like the NetRep team acting separately from the popular voice, and when something like this is changed, they tend to see it as an arbitrary decission. We should, in my opinion, work into making a rule to clarify the current use of those cards if they're not clear enough (which is the case) but not give yet another blow to the gameplay, as not everyone is SO comfortable with the NetRep making "official rules" that changes so much the metagame.
Yet another blow? Personally I don't really care what people in general think about our rulings, it should have no effect on our ability to do the best job that we can do. Just because most people thought the Earth is flat didn't make it so. :wink:
Wacho

The Middle Earth Wizard's Players Guide states:
A Chance Meeting allows you to play a character outside of the organization phase and/or bring in an additional character in one turn....
This was ICE's interpretation of their own card. I don't think we should go messing with it. I agree that it isn't properly worded, but it was after all from the first set.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I wholeheartedly agree with David on this.
miguel
Ex NetRep

While Player's Guides are not really official rules, the example from there combined with the ruling is enough for me.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

So the question once again is:
how far we should generalize from this interpretation of ACM to other cards like Eagle Mounts. My suggestion: not far at all. David has said before that Van's ruling should be construed as a covert erratum. While I want to skip over any moral judgments on Van, I think this way of viewing the matter is essentially correct.

Thoughts?
miguel
Ex NetRep

It's a spesific card ruling, and should be treated as such. No generalization is necessary.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Good, but presumably we want to extend the ACM ruling at least as far as WHCtK. There's then a belt of closely-related cards/effects begging for extension:

(a) Strider
(b) Witch-King & Khamul RW-follower effects
(c) Black Horse
Strider wrote:You may bring Aragorn II into play with Striderʹs company, removing Strider from the game and automatically transferring all cards on Strider to Aragorn II.
WK wrote:As your Ringwraith, up to two Ringwraith followers in his company may be controlled with no influence. You may bring these followers into play during separate organization phases.
Black Horse wrote:Each Horse allows you to play one Ringwraith who requires no direct influence to control.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's already been suggested that Strider should be included in the extension. Why not WK and Khamul as well (restricted to the org phase, but not to 1 character per turn)? And Black Horse?

Obviously we don't want to go beyond character-playing to actions like faction-playing (e.g., Old Road), but why not at least have consistency in the character-playing realm?
miguel
Ex NetRep

I think WHCtK and Strider are already treated like ACM, but of course if you want to make a clarifying ruling about them I'm fine with that.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Fair enough. But what about the ringwraiths and the black horse?
miguel
Ex NetRep

Umm.. should Open to the Summons be included in there too? The card text is similar.

WHCtK is from the same set as the other minion/Rw cards. It states "does not count against the one character per turn limit", but the other cards do not. So I'm not sure about them yet, need to think some more... :)
Wacho

zarathustra wrote:Good, but presumably we want to extend the ACM ruling at least as far as WHCtK. There's then a belt of closely-related cards/effects begging for extension:

(a) Strider
(b) Witch-King & Khamul RW-follower effects
(c) Black Horse
I think these other examples are significantly different than ACM and WHCtK. As far a Strider goes, playing Aragorn is a replacement, not really playing a character, so it doesn't correspond to the normal rules anyway. (You can play or discard one character not both in a turn, no automatic transfer of cards). With the RW-followers, bringing RWs into play uses different rules than bringing normal characters into play. I think that those cards should allow you to bring in RW followers and not count as your one normal character per turn, but I think that's a whole new discussion.

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”