[UNIVERSAL] Hounds of Sauron

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
miguel
Ex NetRep

CoE Digest #15 wrote:13. If I can play Hounds of Sauron, can my opponent play a resource to cancel the attack (such as Many Turns and Doublings) even though it is MY site phase and the attack is not CVCC?

*** No, because, as you said, it's not Company Versus Company Combat so your opponent cannot play resources during your turn to cancel the wolf attack.
I think it would be fair to allow a player facing the attack to play cards affecting the attack/strikes. That would be similar to this ruling:
CoE Digest #110 wrote:8. The question has arisen about what happens to a company that may do nothing during its site phase (due to the effects of River, Lost in Free Domains, etc.) when it is faced with certain cards like Siege and Near to Hear a Whisper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was ruled previously that the company may do nothing whatsoever. This is not 100% correct. The company does not have a site phase and cannot enter the site. So the resource player may not play resources, unless in response to an attack, in which case these must be resorces that affect the attack.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Related: How about attack from Traitor? This may also take place during opponent's turn.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think that such possibility was even anticipated by ICE.
CRF, Rulings by Term, Actions wrote:Tapping a resource can only be done at a time when you could otherwise play a resource event.
You can play a resource event in any phase during your turn, you can play it also in opponent's turn during CvCC. However you cannot play a resource event in opponent turn in response to cc caused by Ren Unclean, so you cannot also tap Phial of Galadriel at this time.
ICE has decided not saying just that "Tapping a resource can be done only in your turn or in opponent's site phase during CvCC" leaving room for other possible situations where player is able to play resource event outside his turn.

My interpretation of "CRF, Rulings by Term, Actions" entry...
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Great.
Proposed Ruling wrote:A player may use resources that affect attacks/strikes during his opponent's turn if he is facing an attack from Hounds of Sauron or Traitor. Note that this overturns CoE 15.
http://www.alfanos.org
miguel
Ex NetRep

Aye.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Published in Digest #119.

Done :arrow: locked 8)
http://www.alfanos.org

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”