Meccg products value (Full sets, c/u/f sets)

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
jehu_

The seller had two Map Sets up at first. Not sure if he pulled one cause it sold off Ebay, or he didn't want competing items driving down the price.

Keep an eye out, he might list the other one shortly.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CCG Collector wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:40 am One thing that was rather enlightening for me was this listing for Middle-Earth CCG Maps. It went for 80 bucks, and I had always thought of it as some rare, Holy Grail of MECCG type thing - but the pictures make it look like it's just a box for the paper maps that you can get anywhere. Does anyone have any more information about that?
I have more information. It is actually just a 2 piece decorated cardboard sleeve/cover that contains 2 different maps. I will make another post with pictures. If you are just looking for a map to use, obviously don't buy this item because you'd be paying way too much and can certainly get the hole punch (smaller) maps much cheaper. If you are looking for this as a collector's item, however, it is fairly rare. Probably due to a lot of players early on throwing away the cover and just keeping the maps to play with. It could have also had a small print run, not sure. So the price to have a complete copy represents its value as a collector's item, not because it contains anything amazing or uniquely useful.

Also, I believe I have an extra complete copy of this if you are looking to purchase one.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Papylon wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 pm Some fresh prices from Ebay:

Balrog Set: 702 usd (must be a new high)
Me:Ats: 387 usd (same as before)
Me:Le (french): 75 usd (really low!)
Me:Le (english): 344 usd (average)
Me:Dragons: 43 (lowish?)
Me:Wizards: 276 usd (average to high)
Challenge decks: 159 usd (high)
Me: White hand: 129 usd (high)

Also, some of the rarer books went for quite large sums. Nice to see there seems to be great interest still, even higher than before.
Wow! $700 for Balrog is totally insane! Opened sets of Balrog have routinely sold in the USA for $300 each +/- $25 for a good many years. I have both purchased and sold several sets of Balrog myself for $300 each over the past few years. I have only seen 1 copy in the USA ever sell for a noticeably higher amount and it sold for around $420.

Now this sale at $700 is a little hard to put in perspective. Maybe random luck of 2 guys who were particularly desperate for the set at the same time? It wasn't from the USA, but was open to bidders in the USA. I do know that historically sets of Balrog have sold for a little higher in Europe than they do in the USA, but nothing even remotely close to this magnitude.

If I had to put a value on all of the complete sets from my own observations (if sold individually), I would say (in USD):

The Wizards Limited: $225-$250
The Wizards Unlimited: $175-$200
The Dragons: $50-$75
Dark Minons: $100-$125
The Lidless Eye: $350
Against the Shadow: $250-$300 (but hard to say as a complete set is rarely ever listed for sale).
The White Hand: $75-$100
The Balrog: $300

It appears that recently perhaps sets of Balrog and Against the Shadow are on the rise. However, I would say there is not enough data yet to determine if this is a sustained rise or just a momentary variance. Time will tell.

All in all, this seller made out incredibly well!
CCG Collector

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 am <images snipped>
That's actually really helpful, thanks. I appreciate the offer to sell, but now that I know what it is, I think I'm going to pass on this one.
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
CCG Collector

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 am It appears that recently perhaps sets of Balrog and Against the Shadow are on the rise. However, I would say there is not enough data yet to determine if this is a sustained rise or just a momentary variance. Time will tell.
I get the feeling that AtS, at least, is on the rise. As far as I know, it's impossible to find the two rarest R1s (Farmer Maggot, Ithil-Stone) unless you know someone personally, or it comes as part of a complete set, so this is all that's left. As I said earlier in the thread, you're paying not just for rarity as such, but for the fact that you have no idea when one of these things is going to be up for sale again.
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CCG Collector wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 am <images snipped>
That's actually really helpful, thanks. I appreciate the offer to sell, but now that I know what it is, I think I'm going to pass on this one.
You’re very welcome! I’m glad it was helpful for you. Image
Lobelia

ccg collector said:

i get the feeling that AtS, at least, is on the rise. As far as I know, it's impossible to find the two rarest R1s (Farmer Maggot, Ithil-Stone) unless you know someone personally, or it comes as part of a complete set, so this is all that's left. As I said earlier in the thread, you're paying not just for rarity as such, but for the fact that you have no idea when one of these things is going to be up for sale again.

Are not all MEAS R1 equally rare?
CCG Collector

Lobelia wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm ccg collector said:

i get the feeling that AtS, at least, is on the rise. As far as I know, it's impossible to find the two rarest R1s (Farmer Maggot, Ithil-Stone) unless you know someone personally, or it comes as part of a complete set, so this is all that's left. As I said earlier in the thread, you're paying not just for rarity as such, but for the fact that you have no idea when one of these things is going to be up for sale again.

Are not all MEAS R1 equally rare?
I think they're equally rare in terms of quantity printed, but in my experience, there are three tiers of desirability - Angmarim and Nurniags are at the bottom, the dragons are in the middle, and The Ithil-stone and Farmer Maggot are at the top.

Of course, that's just my own experience; it's possible that doesn't reflect reality.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Farmer Maggot is definitely the hardest to find of the 9 R1s.

I personally have never noticed The Ithil Stone being harder to find than any of the others, but perhaps it is for some. It is probably my favorite artwork in the game, so perhaps it gets some extra cool points for that.

All of the R1s would have been printed in equal quantities. The difference primarily lies in demand. Farmer Maggot is generally viewed as the most playable of the 9, and even shows up in some tournament decks I believe. So for those who are "collectors" and want 1 of each, the demand for all 9 are the same. But for players who don't care about owning a complete set and just want cards for their play decks, they may want a couple copies of Maggot and not care about the others.

This, IMO, is what makes Maggot the hardest to find. I value the other 8 roughly equally - all of them can be played with casually, but none are especially useful for most decks.
Kjeld

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 pm This, IMO, is what makes Maggot the hardest to find. I value the other 8 roughly equally - all of them can be played with casually, but none are especially useful for most decks.
This is probably true, though of the remaining 8 I believe thatAngmarim and Earcaraxe Roused are definitely the most playable, and work well and uniquely in certain decks. Earcaraxe is played in a completely different region from all the other dragons (which are largely redundant to what's available from MELE), so that alone makes it potentially interesting to play. Angmarim was actually central to a tournament deck I used once, in which a bunch of big elves spent all game in the Under-deeps and came up at Carn Dum on the last turn to get a faction.
kober

Do the rules inserts have any value? I'm missing the insert from MEAS, and I'm wondering what's the best way to acquire one...
jehu_

Send me your address and I will mail you a few. Free of charge.
jehu_

Just an FYI, I put up my Against the Shadow set up on ebay. All R1's included.

CCG Collector wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:04 pm
the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 am It appears that recently perhaps sets of Balrog and Against the Shadow are on the rise. However, I would say there is not enough data yet to determine if this is a sustained rise or just a momentary variance. Time will tell.
I get the feeling that AtS, at least, is on the rise. As far as I know, it's impossible to find the two rarest R1s (Farmer Maggot, Ithil-Stone) unless you know someone personally, or it comes as part of a complete set, so this is all that's left. As I said earlier in the thread, you're paying not just for rarity as such, but for the fact that you have no idea when one of these things is going to be up for sale again.
kober

jehu_ wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm Send me your address and I will mail you a few. Free of charge.
PM sent.

Return to “The Marketplace”