$100,000 Balrog Display Box

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
Kjeld

Anybody else see this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Middle-Ea ... 4233706232

Here's the seller's pitch:
This is an out of print extremely rare product from 1998 MECCG. The display box has 6 individually sealed deck boxes. 3 red The Shadow-deeps and 3 green Balrog's host. This might be the last sealed display peice in the world. Serious offers will be considered. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and thanks for looking.
What do folks think? Could this be the last sealed Balrog display box on Earth? Is it worth $100k?
TheMoth

There was one sealed box a few months back that was priced around 4k dollars if I recall well. Imho, 100k is absurd and definitely not worth it.
tyhjaarpa

Yes there were one on ebay last year for 4000$ for few months. Don't know if it actually sold or seller gave up.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
Lake Town Geezer

Honestly, I could think of a thousand better things to spend 100k on.
Baba
Location: If Oxford is Hobbiton (Tolkien's statmt in Letter294). Between river Adorn sources and Gap of Isen

Totally insane, but I'm just a player...
Casual player forever !
Kjeld

Agreed that this price is totally bonkers. But I'm curious how many of these actually are still in existence? Does anyone here have one, or know of one for certain? I have no intention of ever trying to own one myself, but I think the idea of rare sealed product is fascinating.
tyhjaarpa

I would like to have one and I'm ready to pay reasonable price for one, just did not have the funds nor so big interest earlier as my collection was smaller back then. Have seen few been sold during years and I expect that those who bought them are keeping them sealed as the value for one is quite high.
tyhjaarpa

Took closer look for the listing and this actually is the same box that was offered last year. It has exactly the same tear in cardboard in top of the box. Can't recall the name of seller from last year. So maybe it is the same seller or perhaps someone bought it in hopes of high profits.
meaglyn

I'm sure the seller is not expecting to actually get $100K for it. It is "best offer" though...

Return to “The Marketplace”