Buying Question/ Trading Advice / WTB

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
Negator

Hallo all,

after two years with no time to play the game i am looking to come back and get my hands on some cards.

It seems everything got more expensive, is this right?

I have an offer to buy Wizards,Dragons an Dark Minions German complete Sets for 250,-. Is that ok or to expensive?

Any Help would be great!

Thanks, Mario
tyhjaarpa

I think covid got more people in to the game and the demand has rised and prices has followed. 250 for the three sets in good condition sounds reasonable to me. I haven't really followed the German set prices though.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
CDavis7M

Over on the facebook group there is often discussion of pricing.
If you read German, I think that is a really nice deal.
Negator

Thanks for the answers. I will look at Facebook. Any other comments? Any German player who knows the Price Tag for those sets?
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

250 für alle 3 Sets scheint mir gut & günstig ;)
dakerjohn

I’m one of the many who got into the game after COVID hit—or back into it, having sold off my modest collection twenty years prior—so I can offer a little insight from the perspective of someone who has acquired a collection at these inflated costs.

I can attest that prices have increased quite a lot over the past 14 months since I started purchasing MECCG cards. And prices when I began buying (September 2020) were apparently already a good deal higher than they had been in 2019.

Prices for collectibles in general have boomed in the lockdowns, as has the popularity of any game that can be played solo. That means MECCG cards have increased in value even more than many other collectibles. I’m convinced this was also accelerated by a series of video streams created in the early months of lockdown by the influential American CCG tastemakers Team Covenant, extolling the game’s virtues and highlighting the joys of MECCG as a solitaire experience. The first of these videos has now been viewed 14,000 times; if even a fraction of those viewers were new to the game and decided to try it out after viewing, that’s a whole lot of new collectors competing for the limited pool of cards available for purchase on the current market.

In fact, if I still had no cards at all, I’m not sure I would choose to get back into the game again at today’s prices. Fortunately I managed to snag a lot of good deals in late 2020 and early 2021, and I’m now only about 200 rare cards short of the full play set I’m trying to put together (1x uniques, 3x non-uniques, 2x sites so 2 players can each have a full site deck—this totals more than 900 rare cards) of every expansion I’m collecting (excluding the Balrog set and the R1s, which are simply too expensive for me to justify pursuing at the moment).

The good news for you, though, is that in general the most inflated prices currently are for the English sets. For the most part cards in German are considerably less expensive. The offer you have received seems like a very good deal. I hope that the game brings you as much joy in the future as it has to me over the past year!
Negator

Thanks to all of you for your input. I bought the sets and will now try to find my way into the game. I will first play twohanded normal rules and then try out to play solo. I got other 200 rares (wizards to Lidless Eye )with that deal. Is there a list to see, if some are more valuable then others? Or should i better try to sell those cards i dont need as a bulk lot to get some money back? What would a reasonable price for 200 rares? Thanks again:)
dakerjohn

I think a decent way to start out figuring out which of your rares are most valuable would be to go to a site that sells singles, like CardGameGeek, go to the sets you have, and sort by price. CGG is a good option at least for determining relative value, because they still list the price even if they're out of stock, unlike some other sites. Note that their prices are very good—read: a bit lower than prices elsewhere. Of course, if you sell, you probably won't get as much as they are charging for most cards, since they're a store and you're (presumably) not.

Return to “The Marketplace”