Latest best practice for shipping US <> UK?

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
Kjeld

Is anyone up to date on shipping cards between US and UK, either direction? Just wondering about current best practices for avoiding any sort of customs fees and ensuring a fast/safe delivery. Thanks in advance!
cardcollector

My latest card was a Dutch Fatty Bolger 650 Euros from America to UK. The correct value was written on the customs at my request. The first time the postal company invoiced the wrong address for the custom fee so the card was sent back to the sender. The sender then sent it to me again, what arrived was a sealed post office bag apologizing for the condition of the parcel that was wrapped inside the sealed post office bag. I opened the post office bag to get the parcel/sealed envelope originally containing the Dutch Fatty Bolger, but the envelope was sliced open missing the lower half and there was no card. It appeared that the card had potentially been stolen due to the customs valuation I presume. I have heard this happening with Pokemon cards, I say good luck to who ever stole it. Its quite an obscure card lol. If you see a Dutch Fatty Bolger on the market somewhere from someone that isn't knowledgeable about MECCG and that is their only card there is a chance it is mine. It was posted via USPS Priority Mail at $41.25.
Kjeld

Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you! In light of this experience, do you think it's safer to avoid declaring the full value on the customs declaration? And did you have insurance on it?
cardcollector

Kjeld wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:57 pm Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you! In light of this experience, do you think it's safer to avoid declaring the full value on the customs declaration? And did you have insurance on it?

ty sir, I buy quite a lot of cards from all over the world and this is the first time this has happened. I always say ok to writing the correct number on the customs. I would never recommend anyone avoid regulations etc. I think that the full value on the customs leads to cases of theft sometimes. I think there was insurance with the US postal company but they put the responsibility on the UK side for the loss. Sometimes with insurance you get a game of hot potato as there is not necessarily any proof as to what time the theft actually occurred.. The postage wrap also said I could contact them about loss or damage but I didn't bother. I also sell some unrelated items on ebay and I feel especially with cheaper postage items with value are at risk of 'getting lost in the system'. My instinct is that with the most expensive postal options you may have increased security as there is more oversight and also speed of transit (less time opportunity for theft), if the item is cheap the thief is less likely to be interested but by that same token the actual company has less incentive to not lose the parcel as the insurance payout will not be big.. I would have a look into the pokemon community (e4 forum) for example for instances of theft in the post, I heard a lot of that happened around the 2021-2022 era when Pokemon was hyped with the general public.

Return to “The Marketplace”