Call of Home defense as Wizard

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Theo

Am I correct to think that the only defenses against Call of Home are:
  • character holding The One Ring
  • keep 8 unused general influence during all m/h phases and hope opponent doesn't combo it with Stormcrow, So You've Come Back, Cruel Claw Perceived.
  • lower the hazard limit to zero with Gates of Morning and Many Turns and Doublings (at an unsustainable 2 to 1 ratio) and hope opponent doesn't combo it with Daelomin at Home, etc.
I guess Marvel's Told helps mitigate all of those combos at least.

And the only ways to increase general influence are:
  • Emerald of Doriath on your Wizard
  • Saw Further and Deeper without your Wizard
  • Truths of Doom as Fallen Palando, or Fallen Radagast along with two of his forms (but then as a Fallen Wizard you could be hit by a nastier Cruel Claw Perceived)
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

pretty thorough,

most player deam it okay, to keep 5-6 GI open, but that is a gamble of course, but is matter of balance a CC where you need a 4 or 5 to not fail will be more devastating

also Wizard Uncloaked is helpful against some of these combo

Tookish Blood is a good defence for Hobbits

The Sun Unveiled is good helper depending if you run Gates

but if you believe CoH to be bad, wait till your opponent's bring out the Pilfer

items adding DI help (Elf-stone, Wizard's Ring etc.) keeping your used up GI lower

There are some more tricks to deal with non-unique hazards of course, think outside the box

yours Nicolai
Theo

Ah, right. Wizard Uncloaked and The Sun Unveiled would be nice alternatives to Marvels Told for non-Fallen.

Tookish Blood is a great addition to my list; I tend to forget it has a resource use. Elf-song is in a similar vein, but its tough that it must be preemptive.

At least Pilfer requires matching home sites, so many of the biggest point characters are totally safe: Cirdan, Elrond, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Thrain.

As for you non-unique comment... If you are referring to Aware of Their Ways or Knowledge of the Enemy, seems a little like purchasing a ticket after the boat has sailed. :? Otherwise I need a bigger clue.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hey Theo,
Ah, right. Wizard Uncloaked and The Sun Unveiled would be nice alternatives to Marvels Told for non-Fallen.
Well FW and Lords for that matter should have an easier time with GI management using their "friend" cards, though Saruman still give me headaches there ;)

Code: Select all

Tookish Blood is a great addition to my list; I tend to forget it has a resource use. Elf-song is in a similar vein, but its tough that it must be preemptive.
Elf-song is limited but useful, but can be "Sorrowed"
At least Pilfer requires matching home sites, so many of the biggest point characters are totally safe: Cirdan, Elrond, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Thrain.
well Pilfer was and is the main hobbit deck stopper (as well as Aragorn but needs a straight 10)

yeah but these dudes are pretty common ;)
As for you non-unique comment... If you are referring to Aware of Their Ways or Knowledge of the Enemy, seems a little like purchasing a ticket after the boat has sailed. :? Otherwise I need a bigger clue
well you need to read the metagame for good use, also there is no good way for dealing with people adding 3x Call of home straight to deck (well there still are some options) see me for game then ;)

yours Nicolai
CDavis7M

Some starting companies seem to ride the line, only having a few GI free. But others have a surprising amount of GI.

Like, Thorin and Gloin/Balin with Kili and 2 of the 2 mind dwarves. 7 free GI.

Or Theoden with Eomer and Erkenbrand with Hama. 8 free GI.

The Fallen Wizards are especially surprising if you use Thrall, Open to the Summons, and the "Wizard's pupil" variants. You could have over 10 GI free. But then you'll lose a lot of GI when your Wizard is revealed. And Cruel Claw Perceived can really wreck your GI.

The problem is that I just want to use up all that free GI because it's just being "wasted".

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

sarma72
Council Member

Not a direct defence but having a few A Chance Meetings in your deck would at least help you in quickly getting back your character in play? Especially if he/she was called home when your wizard was in play?

Since a successful CoH would free up a lot of GI, I tend to regard CoH as one shot hazard so not that bad after all. Also, once your opponent's wizard comes down and takes some characters under his DI (which is more likely with 3 copies than it used to be when one could only have 2 in the deck) it may be sometime before you can play CoH. Of course one can build an entire strategy around it, with several of the cards mentioned above.

In my opinion Muster Disperses is worse, however, since the faction gets discarded, not returned to your hand.
“The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out.”
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:35 am [...] character holding The One Ring [...]
Elf-song and sitting at Haven.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Mordakai
Council Member

I suppose you can play in response "Await the Advent of Allies" in a sitting company, or even on a character which declared movement but that has not moved yet (i suppose his declared face down site should have to be removed / declared "on the table" site ignored?). You should of course deal with another problem later, how to remove that card if you really need your character points, or move him.
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
CDavis7M

Mordakai wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:53 pm I suppose you can play in response "Await the Advent of Allies" in a sitting company, or even on a character which declared movement but that has not moved yet (i suppose his declared face down site should have to be removed / declared "on the table" site ignored?). You should of course deal with another problem later, how to remove that card if you really need your character points, or move him.
Nice idea, reducing the influence used to control to help against Call of Home. I like to include Call of Home in my decks just because it feels like a core MECCG hazard, and when it works it's fun.

The effect "Character must stay at its current non-Haven site" prevents declaration of moving a new site and so would prevent resolution of moving to the new site (the movement is illegal and does not happen). I agree that this would only work before the character begins moving because while the card is "Playable on a non-Wizard character with a mind of six or less," the only way for the effect "character must stay at its current non-Haven site" to work as written on the card is for the character to currently be at a non-Haven site--not moving.

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”