All-Expansion Sealed Collection Tournament on Cardnum, Summer 2022

All events or gatherings other than GCCG, Lure, & Worlds.
Theo

Re: All-Expansion Sealed Collection Tournament on Cardnum, Summer 2022

Post by Theo »

Also, for those new to cardnum, be aware that the deck builder does not show the errata versions of cards, even if you have Use ICE Errata turned on in Settings (which you should do). The card search and in-game will follow your settings.
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make... Cautious skill!
Theo

Post by Theo »

The random Round 1 pairings follow. Both players should report final Tournament Points to me no later than June 20. Please share availability with your opponent promptly, as vacations and things may cause only early portions of a round to be available.

@maxocub#8834 (maxocub [H]) vs. @Sulimo#9458 (Sulimo [H])
@langloude#6760 (langloude [H]) vs. @sfakattack#6048 (Bilbo [H])
@Shapeshifter#1052 (Shapeshifter [H]) vs. @DamienX207#1975 (DamienX207 [H])
@Trotter#5509 (Trotter [H]) vs. @Nimrandir#2235 (Nimrandir [H])
@Saurn118#7338 (Saurn [H]) vs. @sarma72#4696 (sarma72 [H])
@Moriquendi#8992 (Moriquendi [H]) vs. @Adamj#1382 (Adamj [H])
@kepler_euler#0548 (baretico123 [H]) vs. @Theo#4594 (Theo2 [H])
@Gaereth Barethson#4167 (GaerethBarethson [M]) vs. @Bergil#8496 (Bergil [M])
@Theo#4594 (Theo2 [M]) vs. @Celith#0866 (Celith [M])

Games should be played under Casual format in cardnum. That is, you do NOT get to load a separate deck if your opponent is playing a Fallen Wizard. Remember that any opponent can opt to play a Fallen deck, so stock your FW sideboard ahead of time. Standard practice on cardnum is for Hero decks to put additional wizard characters in the FW sideboard (not counting against the 10 max) in case they need to swap. These still need to come from your collection.

For what it’s worth, standings will be public for this event to increase the chances of catching any pairing mistakes early. The event will be 5 rounds. Normal CoL tournament ranking will be used to tiebreak overall tournament ranking after the achievement ranking mentioned in the event rules.
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make... Cautious skill!
Theo

Post by Theo »

Some clarifications:

This one is important for all players:
I would like both players to report game TPs to me to help catch any possible misunderstandings before round results are publicized with pairings for the next round. TPs (tournament points) are described about 3/4 of the way down CoL Tournament Policy, viewable from cardnum’s Rules tab. CoE has also since discontinued the Weakest Link method; an MP tie is a tie for TP (CoE Digest #16). Let me know if you have any questions.

These are more minutiae:
CoL Tournament Policy stipulates that a player that drops out of a game should be dropped from the tournament. This is more reasonable for 1.5 hour time limit games. With the longer (or absent) time limit rules of this event, I want to be sensitive to prolonged misery and suffering. For this event, a player that concedes from in-game devastation is not treated as dropping out, but as having stalled the game from ending naturally. That is, they still receive 0 TP for that game, but are not automatically dropped from the event. I still generally encourage natural endings for sportsmanship. On the other hand, it seems particularly reasonable to concede when a player approaches losing too many characters to ever take meaningful action in the game, or would otherwise struggle to obtain even 13 MP (to not be point-doubled) before exhausting twice.
_
Even more minutiae:
When an opponent drops or stalls, CoL Tournament Policy 3 can award TP points as winning with The One Ring at coordinator discretion. "The tournament coordinator must determine that the deck contains the cards necessary to make winning with The One Ring the deck's primary goal." Since I’m participating, I am sharing my baseline of two alternative qualifications so that players can evaluate their own decks without revealing deck information to me. [If you have a deck that doesn't meet either qualification but you think is intended to win through The One Ring, you can also ask me to evaluate individually, but then I'll need deck info.]
  • The deck has at least a 50% chance of being able to win with The One Ring when considering a single draw of each resource in the deck. This chance is the product of the chance of playing The One Ring through gold ring tests or Black Rain rolls. along with the chance of the particular win mechanic---corruption check (Cracks of Doom) or automatic (Gollum’s Fate) for Hero, automatic for RW, succeeding before elimination for FW and Balrog. I don’t think mastering probabilities should be a requirement for deck building, so I give two threshold examples below. If you aren’t sure, I can try to give more examples, or ask someone you’ve already played (and so can’t be paired against again).
  • Alternatively, the deck’s primary goal will also be considered winning with The One Ring if the deck has any way to do so and is incapable of getting to 25 MP without The One Ring. MP sources that depend on non-guaranteed attributes of opponent do not count (e.g., Padding Feet), although The Hunt counts as 1 MP and The Great Hunt counts as 6 MP.
_
The most minimal examples I could think of for at least a 50% chance:
[H]: Precious Gold Ring + Fair Gold Ring + The One Ring + Gandalf + Cracks of Doom + Robin Smallburrow + 5 characters that can simultaneously be in a company with Gandalf and Robin = [1-(21/36)*(26/36)] or 0.58 chance of playing The One Ring at The Under-grottos and [33/36] or 0.92 chance of Robin passing the Cracks check with +6 tap support, for 0.53 chance overall.
[M]: Gold Ring that Sauron Fancies + The Least of Gold Rings + Scroll of Isildur + The One Ring + 2x Test of Fire + Layos = [1-(21/36)*(26/36)] or 0.58 chance of playing The One Ring at The Under-grottos, automatic win for RW when brought to Barad-dur.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Standings following Round 1:
TP align player
----------------
7 H Theo2
6 H langloude
6 H maxocub
4 H Adamj
4 H DamienX207
4 H Nimrandir
4 H sarma72
2 H Moriquendi
2 H Saurn
2 H Shapeshifter
2 H Trotter
0 H baretico123
0 H Bilbo
0 H Sulimo
- - - - - - - -
6 M Theo2
4 M Bergil
2 M GaerethBarethson
0 M Celith

Round 2 pairings:
(second round still guarantees same alignments)
@Theo (Theo2 [H]) vs. @langloude (langloude [H])
@maxocub (maxocub [H]) vs. @Nimrandir (Nimrandir [H])
@Adamj (Adamj [H]) vs. @sarma72 (sarma72 [H])
@DamienX207 (DamienX207 [H]) vs. @Moriquendi (Moriquendi [H])
@Saurn118 (Saurn [H]) vs. @Trotter ( GMT +0 ) ( GMT +0 ) (Trotter [H])
@Shapeshifter (Shapeshifter [H]) vs. @sfakattack (Bilbo [H])
@Sulimo#9458 (Sulimo [H]) vs. @kepler_euler (baretico123 [H])
@Theo (Theo2 [M]) vs. @Bergil (Bergil [M])
@Gaereth Barethson (GaerethBarethson [M]) vs. @Celith (Celith [M])

Please send me results no later than June 30th. Again, since I'm participating, please just send me just the Tournament Points of each player (save screenshots for your own records). With my iron will I've avoided looking at unnecessary image details so far, but I worry that even Frodo succumbed with enough corruption checks.

Also, all Minion players and top Hero players should be anticipating that Round 3 will forcibly pair across alignments, so should be considering preparing a version of a deck tuned to play across alignments by the 30th. In Round 4 and 5, any pairing can be across alignment, so all players might want to prepare by July 10th
Theo

Post by Theo »

Standings following Round 2:
TP align player
----------------
11 H Theo2
10 H DamienX207
10 H Nimrandir
8 H Adamj
8 H langloude
8 H Shapeshifter
6 H baretico123
6 H maxocub
6 H sarma72
6 H Saurn
4 H Trotter
2 H Moriquendi
0 H Bilbo
0 H Sulimo
- - - - - - - -
12 M Theo2
4 M Bergil
4 M Celith
4 M GaerethBarethson

Round 3 pairings:
(forced cross-alignment for top players, i.e., the first four pairings in this list)
@Theo (Theo2 [M]) vs. @DamienX207 (DamienX207 [H])
@Theo (Theo2 [H]) vs. @Celith (Celith [M])
@Nimrandir (Nimrandir [H]) vs. @Bergil (Bergil [M])
@Shapeshifter (Shapeshifter [H]) vs. @Gaereth Barethson (GaerethBarethson [M])
@langloude (langloude [H]) vs. @Adamj (Adamj [H])
@maxocub (maxocub [H]) vs. @sarma72 (sarma72 [H])
@kepler_euler (baretico123 [H]) vs. @Saurn118 (Saurn [H])
@Trotter ( GMT +0 ) ( GMT +0 ) (Trotter [H]) vs. @Moriquendi (Moriquendi [H])
@sfakattack (Bilbo [H]) vs. @Sulimo#9458 (Sulimo [H])

Please send me Tournament Points no later than July 10.

In future rounds, pairings are based purely on total TP, and any can be cross-alignment. Have a deck ready!
Last edited by Theo on Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theo

Post by Theo »

I want to be sensitive to the possibility of concern about potential conflicts of interest. If such concern is made explicit, we all can work on finding some other solution. Keep me posted if something seems like it needs changing.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Standings following Round 3:
TP align player
----------------
15 H Theo2
14 H Nimrandir
14 H Shapeshifter
12 H baretico123
12 H DamienX207
12 H langloude
10 H Adamj
9 H maxocub
9 H sarma72
7 H Moriquendi
6 H Saurn
5 H Bilbo
5 H Trotter
1 H Sulimo
- - - - - - - -
16 M Theo2
6 M Bergil
6 M Celith
4 M GaerethBarethson

(note that sarma72 and maxocub were previously paired)

Round 4 Pairings:
@Theo (Theo2 [M]) vs. @Shapeshifter (Shapeshifter [H])
@Theo (Theo2 [H]) vs. @Nimrandir (Nimrandir [H])
@DamienX207 (DamienX207 [H]) vs. @langloude (langloude [H])
@kepler_euler (baretico123 [H]) vs. @Adamj (Adamj [H])
@sarma72 (sarma72 [H]) vs. @Moriquendi (Moriquendi [H])
@maxocub (maxocub [H]) vs. @Saurn118 (Saurn [H])
@Celith (Celith [M]) vs. @Bergil (Bergil [M])
@sfakattack (Bilbo [H]) vs. @Trotter ( GMT +0 ) (Trotter [H])
@Gaereth Barethson (GaerethBarethson [M]) vs. @Sulimo#9458 (Sulimo [H])

Please send me Tournament Points no later than July 20.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Standings following Round 4:
TP align player
----------------
21 H Theo2
18 H DamienX207
18 H Shapeshifter
15 H Adamj
14 H Nimrandir
13 H baretico123
13 H maxocub
12 H langloude
11 H Moriquendi
11 H sarma72
10 H Trotter
8 H Saurn
6 H Bilbo
1 H Sulimo
- - - - - - - -
18 M Theo2
10 M Celith
10 M GaerethBarethson
8 M Bergil

(note that Theo2 [M] previously played DamienX207 and Shapeshifter)
(note that Sulimo requested a bye from vacation conflict, and Bilbo also then gets a bye, 3-point eligible)

Final Round Pairings:
(no rule changes)
@Theo (Theo2 [H]) vs. @DamienX207 (DamienX207 [H])
@Theo (Theo2 [M]) vs. @Adamj (Adamj [H])
@Shapeshifter (Shapeshifter [H]) vs. @Nimrandir (Nimrandir [H])
@kepler_euler (baretico123 [H]) vs. @maxocub (maxocub [H])
@langloude (langloude [H]) vs. @sarma72 (sarma72 [H])
@Moriquendi (Moriquendi [H]) vs. @Celith (Celith [M])
@Trotter ( GMT +0 ) (Trotter [H]) vs. @Gaereth Barethson (GaerethBarethson [M])
@Saurn118 (Saurn [H]) vs. @Bergil (Bergil [M])
@sfakattack (Bilbo [H]) 3-point bye
@Sulimo#9458 (Sulimo [H]) 3-point bye

Please send me Tournament Points no later than July 30
Theo

Post by Theo »

Spectating: You are permitted to live-spectate games 1) if you have already reported your game results to me, OR 2) if you are more than 7 TP away from both players being spectated (no chance of contention). Please keep game chat interference to a minimum.

This is in the spirit of simulating games being played simultaneously; just because a player was able to schedule their own game on the final day should not give them a strategic advantage of knowing exactly how many points they need to elevate in rank. Keep in mind that if you spectate under option (2), your own paired opponent could still be in contention and if so you should not discuss the game result with them until after your game.

Players are encouraged to announce the times when their games are scheduled.
Theo

Post by Theo »

I just realized that rezwits announced the server is planned to go down July 30. Get those games in! Another option if your game was scheduled for the 30th is to export your deck list and coordinate with your opponent to use OCTGN or gccg.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Thanks everyone for participating, I thought it was an awesome turnout with a mix of new and old names. It wouldn't be the same event without each of you! I hope everyone got some memorable games in. Adamj coming back from being point doubled to nearly point doubling me Round 5 has to be my biggest learning opportunity. :P Masterfully done, sir! I'll be uploading more stories, reflections, and videos when I get some time after recovering from COVID.

Standings following Round 5:
TP align player
----------------
27 H Theo2
20 H Adamj
20 H Shapeshifter
19 H maxocub
18 H Nimrandir
18 H DamienX207
18 H langloude
14 H Moriquendi
13 H baretico123
12 H Saurn
11 H sarma72
10 H Trotter
9 H Bilbo
4 H Sulimo
- - - - - - - -
19 M Theo2
16 M GaerethBarethson
13 M Celith
10 M Bergil

Tiebreakers (TP, fewest head-to-head losses, wins):
Adamj - 20, 0, 4
Shapeshifter - 20, 0, 3

Nimrandir - 18, 0, 4
DamienX207 - 18, 0, 3
langloude - 18, 1

Moriquendi - 14
Celith - 13

baretico123 is being dropped for not scheduling a Round 5 game and failing to submit a report as required in the event rules.

Overall Tournament Ranking:
1 Theo2
2 Adamj
3 Shapeshifter
4 maxocub
5 GaerethBarethson
6 Nimrandir
7 DamienX207
8 langloude
9 Moriquendi
10 Celith
11 Saurn
12 sarma72
13 Bergil
14 Trotter
15 Bilbo
16 Sulimo
Theo

Post by Theo »

I should say, these are provisional Tournament Rankings. I need to ask rezwits for a few random deck samples from the server to check for validity.

Return to “Everything Else”