D/A/CH - Nationals 2011 in Munich

All events or gatherings other than GCCG, Lure, & Worlds.
Nknma
Ex Council Member

marcos wrote:pictures are looking awesome, congrats for such a fantastic event.
Indeed!
Smaug

First Round vs. Martin

Definitly not the opponent anybody wishes to paly against in Round 1 espacially after the hard friday night ;-). The two times german champion played a dragonland Minion deck with a lot of cancelers, that is quite known to me. I was not able to hurt him really with my hazards but fortunaetly for me he had a bad draw (like me) and made some playing mistakes (like me). I played my meanwhile well known Balrog makers map/burner deck I won worlds and europeans with. I really wanted to play something else, but I had no time for deck building the last weeks, blame on me for that! Finally I won a bit lucky 4-2 (25-20?). Good result, poorly played, but things came even worse in my next game :-).

Second Round vs. Carsten

An other strong opponent who was very unlucky not to win last germans due to really bad dunk rolls at mount doom (4 (or even 6?) rolls to get a 8 if i remember right). In our game he dunked me, what costed me the title last year. This time he played a dorwinon deck with high faction points and noble steeds. One of the stronger hero decks and due to the noble steed hard to attack by cvcc. My corruption hazards did not hurt him really but at least slowed him down. On top of it Carsten missed to faction rolls needing a 7 or more. Normally that should be sufficient for me to win 5-1 or even 6-0 but not that day. I forgot to shuffle in my deck characters and on top of it I had to discard Bolg due to a DC of 9 in round 9. Insteed of bringing him back from discard I thought it is better to wait for one of my 3 deck characters. The was waiting for Godot, I never realized that my characters were missing until I finished my deck ( thx to the last fucking beer from the day before :-)). So I ended with 5 charcter points (can not remember I finished ever with less characters with that deck). Lucky for me that Carsten was not able to stop my remaining crowed and I won 4-2. In contrast to game the game against martin I was a bit unhappy blowed with that result ;-).

Third Round against Wolfgang

Oh my god, „only“ 8 points out of two games and than Wolfgang a third opponent? He really is meanwhile really someone to fear if you play this game ;-). At europeans he beated me 4-2 (I never forget defeats :-)) and only unlucky ended up second after me because he lost the last deciding game against domse 4-2 in the fnal four. I hate to loose two times in a row against any player in this world so definitey I had to win this game ;-). even more because a defeat would cost me all chances to win the tournament. He played a pure dwarven eriador short rest deck. Not the kind of deck to win high against if you play normal style. It is too fast and gathers qickly 25 to 30 points if your hazard are not able to stop the deck. Normally a 4-2 is a good result against wolfgang but with 12 points out of 3 games it would be hart to get first espacially because Christan had already 13 and Bernd 11 points out of 2 games!!! (that was of course my goal, who really wants to be the first looser ;-)). To in round 1 I decided to change my normal deck idea and move to ruined signal tower and attacked his (gloin + oin) company there. Normally easy fish feed for my guys but things came different. Buthra injured but did not kill gloin and oin killed my mountain maggot. Normally nothing worse but I lost my regiments of crows because of this. So a dark quarrel would cancel a cvcc attack in the next rounds ( and wolfgang had one in hand, he played it not recognizing regiments where in play when i attacked him). So I had to win normal style the next rounds until the next ally shows up :-(. Due to the short rests it was a quick game, wolgang had some problems with my corruption cards but mastered them more or less unharmed and called with a 25-21 lead or something like that. So for victory I needed „only“ 4 points. This was not a big deal but I had different things in mind. One of his companies was a the stones and I had my sideboarded the arkenstone in hand. If I could mange to play it at the stones, kill some of his characters there so one one helds still an item and than discard the last dwarf with an item by discarding the arkenstone chances where good to win 5-1! Great idea in general but I had a bad feeling in my stomach. Wolgfgang played some risk blows and dwarves are upon us in the first deck cycle so there was the risk he has some of the stuff in hand?! Finally I decided not to attack, played shagrat for 2 points during orga and made the missing points in dunharg and woodmen town (I had one whctc in hand so this was not that difficult). Nevertheless I had to master two files flung away as so often in my games. As I wrote in other reports before I do not fear that card too much ( the only roll you have to fear one my main characters is a ten, meaning it is two times easier to kill a hobbit than to get the character discarded!!! But you never know of course! I survived the rolls (discarding Bolg would have costed me the game indeed!) and won 27 – 25. So 12 out of 3, hmm not bad but not the best starting basis for tournament victory :-(. Fortunately Bernd won his game against Christian 5-1 so he had 16 points and Christan 14points. Martin wbo I beated 4-2 in round 1 recovered in champoin style and won his next two games 6- 0 so he had as well 14 points. I was 4th 12 points and now played christian. So things where easy I had to wn in any case 6-0 and martn had to beat bernd exactly 4-2. Than we all would have 18 points and due to my victory against Martin I would be champion. So where is the problem, I manged worser situations in the past ;-). Sometimes may be I am a bit too self confident, who knows?! ;-)

Fourth Round against Christian

After 2 round s christain looked like the new champion with 13 points and still now his chances to win where with 14 point better than mine to be honest. He played a Elrond deck. Plan is to play some weapons and than go – togetehr with his sons- hunting for orks and trolls. Kikeee played a similar deck against me at worlds final four in Madrid. Not a bad deck but of course I think there are no more experienced cvcc fighting characters than my buthrakaur and bolg ;-). So it came like it had to come. Showdown at woodmen town, burthakaur had +2 power against elrond and defended successful. Same situation than 2 years ago againsrt kikeee. Again my dice goblet moved up in the air came back I catch it and crushed it upon elrond. I love this dramatic theather, sorry I am still a child in this!). Bang a 10 !!!!!!! erlond killed. The beginning of the end for Christian . He never recovered from that an finally lost 40 – 0! I feld really pitty for him, after 2 round he had more or less two matchball games and lost them 5-1 and 6-0 to end at 6 place finally. So I did all I could do to win the tournament but this time luck was not on my side as it has been at some major events in the past. Bernd won 4-2 and became the deserved champion. Me as second became at least german master (welcome home megalomania!!!). Of course it is a very ggod result if you register the mass of really good players participating (former world and european champion Wanja only got 11th for example), but.... i am crazy you know, always want to win ;-).
A final four I would have loved to play, Bernd,Martin, Wolfgang and me. What a spectacle, a pitty we only play like that at worlds and europeans!!!

So long guys see you hopfully all again at worlds in Warshaw (together with my elf crusher dice goblet ;-))

Cheers

Heiner
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Smaug wrote: Third Round against Wolfgang

Oh my god, „only“ 8 points out of two games and than Wolfgang a third opponent? He really is meanwhile really someone to fear if you play this game ;-). At europeans he beated me 4-2 (I never forget defeats :-)) and only unlucky ended up second after me because he lost the last deciding game against domse 4-2 in the fnal four.
ehm, remember German Nats 2010? i also won back then and we had no game between then and Rome (at least no GO). that already makes 2 in a row ;-)
anyway, thanks for the kind words ...
Smaug

ups, true, means I need to win next two games in warshaw as well to get in lead again (qulifier and final four ;-))
You should not tell me :-)

cheers

Heiner
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Not that I want to mingle in this, but I know for a fact that GM 2010 Wolfgang was not present, so he can't have beaten you :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Beornd

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Not that I want to mingle in this, but I know for a fact that GM 2010 Wolfgang was not present, so he can't have beaten you :wink:
uh, right, i meant the one before of course ...

Return to “Everything Else”