IV. GCCG Nations Cup 2010 (Talk)

Events taking place on online platforms

Shall we play 4 rounds + finals when we have 8 or more teams?

Sure, CoL rules rule!
83%
Nah, 5 days are enough.
17%

Total votes: 18
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Alter Tuk wrote:
Ringbearer wrote:
Alter Tuk wrote:I know that changing the rules during a tournament is quite confusing. But this changing wouldnt affect the ongoing tournament. Its still enough time left until finals. So lets change it. Best about that is that we all have the possibility to watch the games in round 3. And this is more in the tradition of the MECCG World Championships, where deck changing is allowed and you have to make a new deck in one night and drunk... :lol:

Its allowed to change the decks before finals.
Better change that in the rules.
fixed.
Does this mean I can change my deck for finals?

In a normal tournament you have qualifiers with 1 deck

Semis with another deck

Finals with another deck

Is this the format we're following?
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

No. We play qualifiers with one deck, and finals (= semis + final/3rd place play-off) with another. Thats how its meant to be. So you have to use the decks you used in the semi. (marcos actually made a nice meta out of that! 8) )

In a normal tournament you play qualifiers with one deck, and a round robin final with another. So this is different, but tries to catch up the spirit. To much deck switching would cause to eat to much time for the players, i think.

edit: Here is the rule:
Alter Tuk wrote:Rules errata: It is allowed to change the deck for the final round.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

The very final game which will decide who wins this years Nations Cup will take place at the Middle-Earh gccg on

Saturday, 8 p. m. GMT +1

Germany vs Flaneltina

Peregrin vs Sauron

See you at prime time!

marcos
Council Member

very illustrative :D

i like it hehehe
Smaug

Hi Martin,

if it will be possible in any way, I will watch the game, unfortunately it conflicts a bit with private arrangements :-(

Go for it and get us our earned title! If you believe in your win, you will win ?! ;-)

"Möge die Macht mit Dir sein"

Cheers

Heiner
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

So I beat Martin, but it was bitter. He somehow registered his deck without The Grimborgoth in his starting pool which caused all sorts of issues for his deck. Even so it was a tight game, I was denied factions and he had a ton of them. Fortunately my CvCC kept him busy, and I managed to kill some of his characters via big nasty drakes and birds!

Martin anytime you want a rematch for fun let me know, I'd like to see how our 2 decks would have faired against each other.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Ok, to come over this final defeat I lay down on the couch and talk about it. :wink:

Here is my tournament report:

First Game vs mercenario (Iberoamerica)
I cant remember details. Imanol played hero, I played Lidless Eye Great Army of the North. He didnt play in a while so I had some advantage with the deck-experience. IIRC he was not able to stop me anywhere and I had a good flow. Won 5:1.

Second game vs Trossel (Finland)
That was some kind of rematch. I lost against Ilkka last year when he dunked on me quite easily. But this time I was Minion. I sideboarded The Scroll of Isildur and played it before he could. The Arkenstone quickly after that destroyed the party. His wizard was as late as a wizard can be so that drove him into trouble with his general influence. I called Thrain home and in the next turn it took him almost half an hour to organize his company properly. He had three Brooches though, so he decided to test his ring in the organisation phase to use the ring`s direct influence after I had called in turn 5. As usual he found the ring with his first roll (12) and went from Minas Morgul to Mount Doom. Luckily I drew The Roving Eye and had Mouth in hand so I forced Gloin with the Ring to roll some corruption checks which he failed. 6:0 for Germany. Unexpected but good and important tournament points.

Third game vs jordisorry (Spain)
Now for the big guys from Spain. I had to face their captain and world-champion jordi which was quite an honour. I expected him to play his worlds deck which I studied the day before. I knew his weak point was the faction so I concentrated to prevent its play. If I could double up The Great Army there wouldnt be much of a chance to win. I called Galdor home so the elves got stuck in his hand for a while. Unfortunately I didnt draw the Heart Grown Colds so Alatar got a shot on the elves in his very last turn. As he was in front with MP (among other things due to some insane rolls and risky moves) that was the most important roll in his game. With the help of Blind to the West he actually failed this roll and I doubled faction MP for another 4:2 victory and we made it to the final round.

Semi-finals vs Highwayman (Poland)
So the German champ against the Polish champ.... He played a CVCC deck with Glorfindel, Strider (using the Aragorn trick :roll: ) and one of the elven boys. In finals I played a Balrog Rohan-Gap of Isen deck (thanks Heiner for tactical advise!). The most risky move was the first one. [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] , guess what came. Worst case: Chilled Elf-Lord! So both of my big guys wounded. He decided to capitalize that and attack me immediately with Biter and Beater. Good for me we tied rolls and on the other one he couldnt kill my Troll. IIRC I even wounded Glorfindel. I hit him later with the Witch-King in Gundabad so his guys had to spend some time in Lorien. In my last turn I went to the Underleas with a super-size company trying to play the Axe + Aiglos. This was my first tournament game ever using The Balrog so I guess I deserved that he killed my avatar with a Nameless Thing.... Nevertheless I could prevent him from a final cvcc and win 5:1 even without that Gay Shadowed Balrog.

Finals vs Sauron (Flaneltina)
Now for the most dramatic part. I finally could use my Minion vs Minion deck which helped me win German Nats. Horrifying from the charcater draft on. I forgot to add The Grimburgoth to my pool! Better: He must have dropped out by misclick at some time (the deck existed already for quite a while). Stupid me! I was so pissed that I made the huge mistake which maybe cost us the tournament win. As backup I played Hador and Lieutenant of Morgul. Not recognising that Hador is a Dunedain and not allowed to be in a company with a troll.... But as sad it was not having my major character in pool I admit: Of course I originally had a back-up plan. And I didnt use it. I should have gone with Hador and Baduila and things could have worked out decently. So it was a mistake by myself and I cant blame anything or anyone else. The game itself was very tough. Of course I had to use a complete different strategy and to my sorrows I drew Hoamurath as my 17th or 16th last card in deck, so I had no chance to cancel Brians company combats two times.... In the end I lost 20-27. My captain told me I could have done better if I would not have been so pissed all the time. Maybe, but I doubt it. But I should have concetrated on my starting company a little more, thats true.

So congrats Flaneltina! Please understand that I am slightly disappointed for tonight, but we will see each other in other tournaments where this shit will never happen again! :wink:

Cheers!!
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

MY tr.

Round 1 vs jordisorry (spain)

I played a radagast eridaor shuffle deck, facing the world champ with his alatar deck. On his 1th turn I managed to kill Surion, but promptly the gods decided that was enough luck and I messed up every single roll. Needless to say I lost 6-0 (could have been 4-2 loss with at least one faction scoring).
marcos lost tight 4-2, Brian lost 5 -1... so 3 points.. yuck!

Round 2 vs Italy.
Starting I hear that marcos scrubbed vs Bruno, losing 6-0.... nice start.
Vs minion I played a bag end raiding deck. Turning bag end into a minion site and untapping it for a shitload of weapons. My deck went smoothly, seeing almost no hazards. My opponent suffered a severe handchoke (thinking he didnt expect squat) and the only item he had was the Ancient Cheeze Axe with Umagaur, which I managed to corrupt with balance, covetous thoughts and another minion having only a high helm. 6-0
Brian also won, ¨putting us up higher.

Last round vs finland.
Things were bleak for us, only a loss by Austria and a severe win on FInland would help us. marcos won 6-0 vs Ulli and I faced karmi.
When you draw short rest turn 1, its a short game. Call after 3 turns, 4-2 win.
Luckily for us Wolfgang lost vs MuadDib 4-2, means a 6-0 would help us sneak in Finals. Brian actually managed that so we made finals.... vs Spain.

Semis vs Spain.
I had an easy time, since marcos managed to dunk (remind me to let manuel sign me an Unhappy Blows ;) ) and brian beat Agustin. SO my game with jordi was for the honors, and I picked a malady deck instead of the heavily modified eriador hate deck I would have played, thinking of Heiner/MuadDib play hero/FW (I know, what are the odds) I have some chance. Also jordi suffers vs corruption... alatar lost to the nature, elrohir ran off with a sapling, elwen died of malady... he ended up pretty much itemless and not enough Sp so he couldnt play legacy either., so he gave up. 6-0

Beat Spain 17-2... ouch, but revenge is soooooo sweet :)

Finals vs Germany
marcos paved the road by winning 5-1 over Dominic, revealing wormsbane to make it 30-20....
So I afced off Heiner... hog vs hog (I played wolfiehog and Heiner his walk around and score points and be good in general-hog deck). he started, and we drew cards, I started with hog and shadow in hand... he trysted.... trysted again... and played the hog :( I tried to salvage points but when arthedan rangers come trough, puppies die.... 6-0 loss.
Luckily Brian saved the day, unlucky in the way it went.

All in all, we prolongated the Nations Cup title. But what a tourney.... dead and buried after 4 games, to win the tourney....
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Sauron wrote:So I beat Martin, but it was bitter.
Forget about the bitter taste. I made a mistake by drafting the wrong characters (Dunadan and Troll instead of Dunadan and Man) so you had a more easy walk through. The only thing is that I could have done better and normally I am a tougher competitor than in this game. But the one who makes more mistakes in this game is more likely to lose. Thats it. Congratulations. Nuff said.

Another thing: Heiner suggested to change the rules for finals. In his oppinion in the K. O. round wins should be worth more than tournament points. If domse would have lost 2:4 than we would have had the weird situation that we could have won with another 2:4 loss. I tactically would have played on 2:4 and not on winning. I think he is right on this. Next year we could change that. What do you think?
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi all,

in DC events win are always more then TP and it proved good, as 1 round can be by chance easy matchups which can obscure the real capabilites of the players to some extend

just my 2 cents

mfg Nicolai aka Vastor
Smaug

Hi guys,

a missclick in deck building and based on that a strict keeping to tournament rules costed Germany the title may be ?"! (No one will ever know, that is the main pitty of the last game played without allowing Martin to play the Grim from out of play).

No offence to brian, he had 100% the right to act like he acted, no doubt about that! His personal decision.
Personal comment: *If I would have been him I would have acted different so?!*

Finally I am fine with our 2nd place, Flanetina earned the title raising from death after the first 2 rounds played. Congrats to Bert, Brian and Marcos, this was an impressive comeback, especially the semi final against Spain! The other team I feel a bit sorry for, they really dominated the tournament except this semifinal against Flanetina. Spain would have earned the title as well!
Mainly I feel really pitty for Martin at the moment, who played a great tournament getting 22 TP in total (MVP of the Tournament ?!).
... and than that accidental clicking mistake before registering his deck, that could happen to everyone of us, horror situation for every player, and of course this effects your game play from the beginning, game decisions made when you are pissed are seldom the best ones :-(.

Next year we will fight back and get us the title ;-). I will not talk one more world about that last round/match, promissed! Yesterday was yesterday, today starts the future ;-).

Finally many thanks to Martin greatly organising the tournament and managing to keep 100% the timeframe (this was different the last years, wasn´t it?!).
Last but not least thanks and congrats to dominic, who played as well a great tournament, 1 mp was missing in your last game to get the title, what a pitty (we nearly made it mate :D ).

Cheers

Heiner
Bruce
Ex Council Member

Alter Tuk wrote:Heiner suggested to change the rules for finals. In his oppinion in the K. O. round wins should be worth more than tournament points. If domse would have lost 2:4 than we would have had the weird situation that we could have won with another 2:4 loss. I tactically would have played on 2:4 and not on winning. I think he is right on this. Next year we could change that. What do you think?
Dunno if it's worth it. if nothing but the number of wins mattered, a team couldn't recover from a 4-8 gap after 2 losses with 2-4 score. Given the present formula, a 6-0 win could revert the situation and the 3rd game would not be useless. The formula we used so far emphasizes the importance of winning with a wide gap, i.e. 6-0 or 5-1: when the level of the competition is pretty high as in a tourney like the NC, most games end in a 4-2.

No matter which formula you adopt, you'll never be able to eliminate the strategic element. Plus, the formula you suggested would make dunk decks completely useless. ;)

IMO what we really need is finding a way to avoid forfeited games, since a 6-0 or 7-0 on forfeit can provide a decisive edge which may alter the outcome of a given round. We may let any team choose a 4th member as a reserve, who doesn't register any deck for the tourney: he can play on behalf of any one of his teammates if he's unable to play, using the same deck his teammate would have used. How about this?

Anyway, we got almost 1 year before us to discuss those issues. :P Time to congratulate with the guys from Flaneltina team for the great result: they were able to catch up in their worst moment and eventually win.
And thanks to Martin for taking care of the organization.

A brief report of my tourney

game 1 vs Wolfgang
Pretty close game. I have some problems with unused GI and Gloin keeps going back and forth between my hand and the table because Wolfgang keeps on harassing him with Call of Home (I guess it happened 3 or 4 times, that's probably a new record :)). My hazards slow him down a bit. The turning point is in the last turn, when I'm so reckless (but maybe "crazy" or "masochist" would be more appropriate) to play Balance of Things, aware that my only item in play worth MPs is the Wizard Ring born by Pallando...
Well, in the end Balance turns out being my winning move, since at the council Pallando rolls 6 vs 5 using A Friend or Three, and Celeborn (controlling Leaflock) rolls 4 vs 3. On the other side, Thrain is corrupted by Durin's Axe. 7 MPs lost for Wolfgang, and 4-2 for me. No risk no fun... ;)

game 2 vs Marcos
Luck is on my side: resources flow in my hand in a favorable order, his hazs can't hurt me, I earn confidence and manage to play smoothly and cleverly. Marcos has very bad luck on some crucial rolls (Hog rolling 4 on the Orcs of Moria, Bolg rolling 3 on an attack from Tempest of Fire and thus being wounded), and my hazards do the rest. In the end is a 6-0 for me, a very unexpected result I'd never had hoped to achieve.

game 3 vs Oscar
won this game 6-0 on forfeit because Oscar's PC is broken and he has no chance to log on GCCG. My NC ends prematurely. :(

After my 2nd game I was sincerely hoping Italy could make it to the 2nd stage of the NC. Well, I guess we still have to train hard. Next year we'll do our best to be even more competitive. :D
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Yes forfeitings were a problem this year. Its better to delay the tournament but play all games IMHO. But I dont see a solution for it. People who sign in should be able to play. I think it was a specialty this year. I hope in future we wont have to deal with it that much.

Bruno: If domse would have lost 2:4 we would have decided the final pretty much by playing The Balrog in one game before opponent could. But thanks for your oppinion. People, give your thoughts!

And yes Heiner, I was MVP with 22 TP scored but I dont feel very valuable atm.... :cry:
marcos
Council Member

i have a few things to say:
1- I agree with Bruno about rules for finals
2- I so damn the electricity company, lights ran out 10 minutes before the start of the final game and it returned just a few hours ago (1 day later). I am so pissed at them!
3- Congrats to the other 3 teams that made it to finals/semis, all in all i believe you all made a great tournament and this shows that the level is growing higher and higher.
4- Even bigger congrats to Brian, glad we roosted him, he proved to have steel nerves in his game vs Trossell and i believe he proved that again in the final match.
5- @Bert: "i told you so" dont do hog vs minion again ;)
6- Many thanks to Martin for organizing it again, who doesn't enjoy this online tourneys and the big trash talk behind them? :D

I will tell my tournament report as soon as i have some time.
Muad'Dib

Congrats Spain for 3rd and Flaneltina for 1st place.

Well, Spain hammered us..i can talk only about my game vs Jordi and, to be honest, it was the most terrible game in my life. Tapping ONE site with Foul Fumes when opponent doesnt play Twilights says everything about my drawing. First MP on hand i drew in 4th turn, also hog came too late. Rolls were on Jordi's side, for example Bolg was wounded after strike vs Elwen :shock: .Playing game like that isnt pleasure for me, its more like a torture.

But other games were much better for me. Trossell dunked but i did what i can do, just forgot some cards to my sb ;) Next games vs mercenario and i_gwanuning i won 6-0 which is not very easy at this level of competition. The best game i played vs Heiner. Like always hard battle, but playing with very experienced player is always big pleasure. Of course i suprised him with my deck and i counted on this :D

Im little dissapointed about Poland's result because i think we could reach final, some mistakes vs Germany costed us games vs Flaneltina. But still 4th place is good place and i think we deseved for that (despite of one forfeit). Next year Poland will be better prepared so wait for a Storm from East :twisted:
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.

Return to “Online Tournaments”