MECCG GCCG World Championships 2010 (Nov. 20-21)

Events taking place on online platforms
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Round two vs Manuel:

He got two Short Rests on the first turn -- speed deck. The only shot I had at countering the draw was moving Saruman on my turn.

Thanks to being the only Hero Avatar without the warrior skill, he wouldn't have been able to make it back to Isengard even if he had been unwounded. Manuel wins hands-down. I should consider putting Hidden Haven in my sideboard for this sort of emergency, actually -- the Glittering Caves work as well as Isengard for my purposes.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Overall, the game with marcos is good evidence that Blind is in need of an erratum when it comes to Ring Tests -- FW Dunk is next to impossible normally, but I don't feel that a hazard playable at any time should make it impossible in the tournament setting.

The game vs. Manuel was quick -- and now I've got another trick for the deck when unexpected things happen. Overall, the tournament was a fun and positive experience for me.
Muad'Dib

Round 1

Manuel - AgusBalin 3-3 (30-30)
marcos - b_took 6-0 (32-13)
Trossell - Muad'Dib 6-0 (32-6)

marcos 6TP
Trossell 6TP
Manuel 3TP
AgusBalin 3TP
Muad'Dib 0TP
b_took 0TP

Round 2

marcos - Trossell 5-1 (39-21)
Manuel - b_took 6-0 (34-7)
AgusBalin - Muad'Dib 6-0 (23-6)

marcos 11TP
Manuel 9 TP
AgusBalin 9TP
Trossell 7TP
Muad'Dib 0TP
b_took 0 TP

Round 3

marcos - AgusBalin 4-2 (35-27)
Manuel - Trossell 2-4 (16-23)
Muad'Dib bye 4TP
b_took drop out

Final standing

1. marcos 15TP
2. Trossell 11TP
3. AgusBalin 11TP
4. Manuel 11TP
5. Muad'Dib 4TP
6. b_took 0TP

Thanks all of you for tough games and congrats for new champ marcos !!

See you next year ;)
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Smaug

Hi Marcos,

I came back to germany yesterday night. Congrats for the onlije title but only 6 guys playing online is still more dissapointing than being 6 guys in cordoba, where it is expensive to get even for south american players. Lets me fear a bit for the future of this game.
What about all the german, austrian, italian, finish, dutch, american and other spanish players??? :(

Cheers

Heiner
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

The dutch player here already had 2 appointments in the last weekend.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
domse
Ex Council Member

Without spoiling marcos win here (congrats by the way!), I dont think we should not take the fact that only 6 players participated here as serious as we should with other events this year. Online tournaments (besides Nations Cup I guess) do not have a high priority for many players including myself. Besides that it is much more difficult to ask for some understanding from the wife/gf/friends/whatever to play an all-weekend online tournament than it is for travelling and meeting actual people. I still hope that next years event will be more frequented!
marcos
Council Member

i agree with all the comments from you guys, but still even when there weren't much people, the level among the players was very high: Manuel being former GCCG/ spanish champion, Agustin being GCCG/World/European(/spanish?), Trossell being GCCG champion/ Nations cup winner, MuadDib polish champion anb b_took... FW saruman champion? :)

They aren't opponents to understimate, but still, i agree that the more is the better... As domse said, lets hope it will be better next year
Smaug

Jep that were really very strong opponents, stronger than at worlds for sure. Not easy to win against that strong opponents. Congrats again
Everybody could have joined so I only wanted to blame that players not playing (in the plane is was unpossible for me to join as you know :( )

Cheers

Heiner
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I won't claim to be a great player, but I at least know what I'm doing. :) And I eventually chose to run the deck I did to highlight what I feel is an imbalance in hopes of motivating the CoE to issue an erratum. ;) Otherwise people would have been facing the awesome might of my Khamul Bag End deck! :D
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

well, i was at the spielefest this weekend (gaming fair in austria). and i took the chance to organize some MECCG event in vienna. beorn and thomas have been there as well. we even discussed to change the date (which was set before the online tourney), but it was not possible any longer.
(btw: we have been a complete fellowship of players - great number for austrian standards!)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Besides that it is much more difficult to ask for some understanding from the wife/gf/friends/whatever to play an all-weekend online tournament than it is for travelling and meeting actual people
Well, I witnessed part of the event on saturday (and feel no need to excuse myself for not playing), and it took about 3 hours, so if you can't manage to get permission to free yourself for that, you're seriously whipped :D

But maybe we have to conclude that the appeal of playing this type of game is wearing off? Without going into an in-depth analysis here, it seems to me the tournament scene has shifted from a time when people played because it was exciting to encounter new strategies, to a time when people love a tactical battle knowing exactly what they'll encounter. This takes another type of player.

On the other hand, initiatives to renew the game have not met with great success either, yet. So perhaps it is indeed the stuff of life that will eventually bring the game down (in a time where youngsters prefer more active and/or visually stimulating games). I've found that older players either lack time or energy/interest to invest in learning a new meccg type of game. So probably it's a combination of both factors: wives and fatigue (or is that the same factor? :lol: )
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Speaking as someone with a wife and newborn daughter: man up, people! :)

Of course, one problem with encountering the same old strategies is the rigor mortis the game's been locked into without sufficient errata to level the playing field.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

FWIW, last Saturday evening we celebrated my daughter's first birthday. I would've played otherwise.
Balin
Ex Council Member

I've just got my Dragons' poster as a prize for being third place at GCCG Worlds. A real prize for a virtual tournament! :D
I just wanted to say this is a nice way to encourage people to play our game.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!

Return to “Online Tournaments”