V. GCCG Nations Cup 2011 (Planning/Talk)

Events taking place on online platforms
Smaug

Congrats Agus, but of course makes it harder for me ;-)
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

My opponent has conceded the game to me.
Last edited by Alter Tuk on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the Talk topic by mod.
zirilan

Sauron wrote:My opponent has conceded the game to me.
Well, that is only one side of the coin ...
marcos
Council Member

use the talk post for comments
marcos
Council Member

i will give Sauron and i_gwanunig another chance to schedule, if game is not played then i will decide which will be the result

Like people present said, sportsmanlike behaviour must be considered before any rule or policy. I remember 2 years ago, i had a long discusion with Brian regarding this way of protest. In the end we played one of the quickest games i ever seen (probably less than 50 mins), so Thomas you could try sheduling again and see if this behaviour won't change? I speak on my own experience, i dealt with slow-players a lot in the past, but that is no reason to have someone else have a bad time, not only your opponent, but also his teammates, your teammates and tourney organizer, etc.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:i will give Sauron and i_gwanunig another chance to schedule, if game is not played then i will decide which will be the result

Like people present said, sportsmanlike behaviour must be considered before any rule or policy. I remember 2 years ago, i had a long discusion with Brian regarding this way of protest. In the end we played one of the quickest games i ever seen (probably less than 50 mins), so Thomas you could try sheduling again and see if this behaviour won't change? I speak on my own experience, i dealt with slow-players a lot in the past, but that is no reason to have someone else have a bad time, not only your opponent, but also his teammates, your teammates and tourney organizer, etc.
Um i_gwanunig conceded the game to me marcos. Under CoL Tournament policy I'm entitled to a 6-0 victory. However I am willing to play this game, if Thomas wishes. I was willing to play today.

For marcos:
Under which policy, tournament rule, etc are you pulling your decision from? No where in the CoL tournament policy does it mention sportsmanlike behavior above rules or policies. This is you enforcing your morals/ideas/whatever against players without any actual backing.

For the rest of the community:
This is why we need time limits. This is why we need to stop people from stalling. This is why we need judges who will actually enforce CoL Tournament Policy. We have here a tournament organizer who isn't following CoL Policy. We had another player concede instead of face a long slow game. Why should it be acceptable for other players to do this year in and year out, and it not suddenly be acceptable for me? Because I made a big stink about it? Why am I being treated any differently than the other known slow players?

This is a tournament and a tournament should follow the guidelines put forth for tournament play. If you want to run a tournament as casual don't say it'll follow CoL Policy.

Sincerely,
Sauron
marcos
Council Member

Um i_gwanunig conceded the game to me marcos. Under CoL Tournament policy I'm entitled to a 6-0 victory. However I am willing to play this game, if Thomas wishes. I was willing to play today.
Like i told you before, i hope you guys get to schedule your game again and play a nice match, if not, then i will declare the result depending on who repported to me and who didn't
For marcos:
Under which policy, tournament rule, etc are you pulling your decision from? No where in the CoL tournament policy does it mention sportsmanlike behavior above rules or policies. This is you enforcing your morals/ideas/whatever against players without any actual backing.
Of course, it is a DEAD game and we should play for fun. that is why i think sportmanslike behaviour should be above rules, at this point i don't think much people will disagree with this.
Why am I being treated any differently than the other known slow players?
because you are not a slow player
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
Like i told you before, i hope you guys get to schedule your game again and play a nice match, if not, then i will declare the result depending on who repported to me and who didn't
Like I said I was ready to play today
marcos wrote:
Sauron wrote:For marcos:
Of course, it is a DEAD game and we should play for fun. that is why i think sportmanslike behaviour should be above rules, at this point i don't think much people will disagree with this.
Well obviously some people may disagree, I don't think you can speak for everyone the entire community. Again you have no rules or policies to back this up. You are enforcing your ideas onto people when you as Tournament Organizer should be enforcing the rules.
marcos wrote:
Sauron wrote:Why am I being treated any differently than the other known slow players?
because you are not a slow player
So you admit different players get different rules based on a perception and not based on the actual tournament rules?
marcos
Council Member

Like I said I was ready to play today
good to know, hope you are ready to play some other time as well
Well obviously some people may disagree, I don't think you can speak for everyone the entire community.
yes, some might disagree, you and who else?
Again you have no rules or policies to back this up. You are enforcing your ideas onto people when you as Tournament Organizer should be enforcing the rules.
CoL tournament policy wrote:In the text below "tournament coordinator" means the coordinator or any staff member assigned by the coordinator to assist him or her. Tournament coordinators are responsible for seeing that the council guidelines are kept, prizes are properly awarded, and that that the tournament is run in a fair and impartial manner.
If i would be giving you 6-0 it won't be impartial, i am on your team, remember? And if i declare such result i get benefit from it. Me as tournament organizer i am here to enforce fair gaming.
So you admit different players get different rules based on a perception and not based on the actual tournament rules?
No, i admit that your way of playing is way different than what you said you were going to do.
Anyways, did you complain to a judge when some opponent was stalling against you? No, i was present during all your game against Trossell and i didnt hear any compain to a judge. Did Thomas complain to a judge, no, why? because you 2 didn't play. Again, i would like you 2 to play a fair game, if someone complains about something i will hear and take actions about that.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
Well obviously some people may disagree, I don't think you can speak for everyone the entire community.
yes, some might disagree, you and who else?
I don't claim to speak for the community. That would be for each individual member to decide for themselves.
marcos wrote:
Again you have no rules or policies to back this up. You are enforcing your ideas onto people when you as Tournament Organizer should be enforcing the rules.
CoL tournament policy wrote:In the text below "tournament coordinator" means the coordinator or any staff member assigned by the coordinator to assist him or her. Tournament coordinators are responsible for seeing that the council guidelines are kept, prizes are properly awarded, and that that the tournament is run in a fair and impartial manner.
If i would be giving you 6-0 it won't be impartial, i am on your team, remember? And if i declare such result i get benefit from it. Me as tournament organizer i am here to enforce fair gaming.
It wasn't you who decided to concede the game. It would be fair, but probably not impartial. As you do point out you do gain an advantage
marcos wrote:
No, i admit that your way of playing is way different than what you said you were going to do.
Anyways, did you complain to a judge when some opponent was stalling against you? No, i was present during all your game against Trossell and i didnt hear any compain to a judge. Did Thomas complain to a judge, no, why? because you 2 didn't play. Again, i would like you 2 to play a fair game, if someone complains about something i will hear and take actions about that.
Rule in question:
Players that Stall-If an opponent is believed to be stalling for purposeful gain, or if an opponent is believed to be stalling through a lack of respect for or sensitivity to the time limit, the player can petition the tournament coordinator to observe the game. If the coordinator observes that the opponent is stalling more than what is reasonable and necessary, the coordinator can call the game in favor of the non-stalling player.

1) I did not think my opponent to be stalling through a lack of respect for or sensitivity to the time limit. (There was none apparently)
2) I did not think my oppnent to be stalling for purposeful gain. What was there to gain? Other than I may have become fustrated, but that would have been hard to prove it was for purposeful gain.
marcos
Council Member

1) I did not think my opponent to be stalling through a lack of respect for or sensitivity to the time limit. (There was none apparently)
2) I did not think my oppnent to be stalling for purposeful gain. What was there to gain? Other than I may have become fustrated, but that would have been hard to prove it was for purposeful gain.
then stop complaining just for the sake of it :lol:
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
then stop complaining just for the sake of it :lol:
I would have complained under item 1 if I could have.
marcos
Council Member

you could, being frustrated by a player is clearly a lack of respect, and an unfair experience. Even when it is hard to prove, being frustrated will very likely make you lost your focus, and not be able to think straight. So, you could, but you didn't
i gwanunig

game with sauron rescheduled for today 1400 (GMT-5)
Last edited by Alter Tuk on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Steiermark? Speak quickly!
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Sauron wrote:My opponent has conceded the game to me.
Your behaviour is kind of childish. I say that as your friend, Brian.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]

Return to “Online Tournaments”