MECCG GCCG World Championships 2011 (Jan. 14-15/2012)

Events taking place on online platforms
Mordan

i will be there
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

First Round:

Against Marcos, running Hero Radagast Somewhat Speed. 27 MPs for marcos, my agents aren't stopping him, he's ready to call, so I throw out 2 x Echoes on Elrohir bearing Orcrist. He gets snake eyes on the 2nd one. He then rolls snake eyes to bring in the Wood-Elves. Suddenly, I've got six or so more turns to get my MPs in. I'm running FW Saruman in Western Gondor; so marcos pulls out 3 x Heart, which pretty much screws my primary MPs. Scrape by with the Scroll and some lucky ccs for a 4-2 loss, which is quite possibly the best I've ever done against marcos in a tournament. :)

Second Round:

Against Heiner, he's running Fallen Radawolf; on my first turn I kill two Cave-Drakes and a Rain-Drake, which helps. Managed to kill Carambor with some Dunlending Raiders, slowing down his draw. Near the end of the game, Pon Opar takes out an Assassin and Boromir takes out another; I'm up to 7 Kill MPs. While my rolls are lucky, my shuffle was not; I was running agent hazards and my agents were on the bottom with the exception of Ivic, who is in the wrong corner of Middle Earth. Clog drives me under; Heiner wins 4-2, almost 5-1, and if it hadn't resulted in too many ally points, 6-0. I'm still moderately proud of getting Ivic all the way to Weathertop before he calls; he used Farmer Maggot to cancel the attack.

As usual, I withdraw after the Saturday rounds, but 4 TPs might be my best record yet, especially considering my opponents.

Overall, though few showed up to play (more were there to watch), this was enjoyable; my starting party was tough enough to carve through most hazards, and I felt my deck put forth a decent showing, though I'm disappointed that I didn't get to try my vs minion hazards. ;)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

congrats to MuadDib! he is the new GCCG champion! [-me_ccc-]
marcos
Council Member

final standings:

MuadDib 15
marcos 10
Heiner 10
MorDaN 7
b_took 4 (1 less game)
elindil 2 (1 less game)
Muad'Dib

thx Marcos for organizing this event. Small event ;) 6 players its a shame for our community :(

I played 3 games -vs Heiner,elindil,Marcos

1st round against Heiner - tough beginning. We finished 20 minutes after end of time ;) I had a lot of snake eyes in this game, avoiding one of them would give me a win. Lucky, when Heiner thought he won 29-28, i had -1mP on hand for him (The Warg-king) so this game was ended 3-3.

2nd round against elindil. We finished after 30 minutes - my opponent gave up. Sorry that new player had to face my very strong deck :( 6-0 for me.

3rd round against Marcos. I wanted to avoid this opponent but result of other games decided we had to play for 1st place. I saw Marcos's deck in the previous round and was sure he will win easy. But he decided to change his strategy and was chasing me and trying cvcc. Probably it was mistake - my first rolls were very poor but in the end of game finally dices started to work for me. After so many rolls-bcs opponent's wizard died (before death he survived Smaug Ahunt, few Assassins, Cave-worm, Sellswords) and some of his characters also went to my Killng Points pile. Result 6-0 for me but game was very tough.

see you in MECCG GCCG World Championships 2012 and i hope to cross the cards with higher number of participants.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
zirilan

The Question:
Muad'Dib wrote:thx Marcos for organizing this event. Small event ;) 6 players its a shame for our community :(
The Explanation:
Muad'Dib wrote:2nd round against elindil. We finished after 30 minutes - my opponent gave up. Sorry that new player had to face my very strong deck :( 6-0 for me.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Nothing of the sort; in the third round, he would have faced me in all of my Fallen Saruman glory.

I was there; Elindil knew he was new and fully expected to come in last place (I'm really sorry we couldn't duke it out for the honor, but maybe we can run an informal game . . .)

MuadDib was the only one running minion, and Heiner's deck tied it 3-3, against whom I went 4-2; if I had faced MuadDib (and that was the luck of the roll), I think my vs minion hazards could have given him a run for the money.

Yes, there were strong decks, but you don't come to a tournament to bring your weakest game. My own deck garnered 7 Kill MPs in one game as Fallen Saruman; I was pretty much having my way with creatures. There was a refreshing absence of cheeze; even Heiner's Radawolf had some risks involved.

I honestly think a larger problem is that experienced players who have less time to play these days are afraid of losing because they're not in practice. I was fairly busy the last couple of months and didn't end up playing a lot of METW. I went to the tournament anyway because:

1) I'm not afraid to lose, as anybody who plays me can attest;
2) I feel anybody claiming to care for the life of the game should show up at what tournaments are possible for them, and all this one needed was an internet connection; and
3) Participation in a community activity strengthens the community.

People who are concerned about their w/l record, about their reputation as an "expert" or "great" player, as soon as they find themselves too busy to keep in shape, will drop out.

The people who have dropped out of the GCCG scene because of stagnation seem to me to be a far smaller segment than those who passionately defend that stagnation and then don't bother to show up at the situations they've created.

I can't recall if Elindil's deck was a Hero Underdeeps, but if so, it would have murdered my hazards, which were agent-based with a heavy anti-FW bias. The only thing that will really stop an enthusiastic player trying to learn the game is feeling shunned, IMO. Let people bring strong decks to tournaments; anybody participating will expect to face strong decks, even if they're learning the game, and if they really get upset over such, they may perhaps be in the wrong game. ;)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

If the winners would PM me your addresses I will mail out the sealed product to you in a week or so.

-Sauron
marcos
Council Member

Hey Brian, you should already got mine.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:Hey Brian, you should already got mine.
I do indeed, just need Heiner's info or he can re-donated the product back into the prize pool if he doesn't want it hehe.
Smaug

Hi Brian,

in order to save package and posting may be it could make sense to send it together with the pother stuff to Marcos (may be as well Muad.dib stuff, he comes to lure as well?!) and he brings it along, when he visits me before Lure?!
But up to you, if you prefer to send me directly, here my address:

Heiner Viefhues
Wissmannstr. 26

50823 Köln

Thanks and Cheers

Heiner
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Smaug wrote:Hi Brian,

in order to save package and posting may be it could make sense to send it together with the pother stuff to Marcos (may be as well Muad.dib stuff, he comes to lure as well?!) and he brings it along, when he visits me before Lure?!
But up to you, if you prefer to send me directly, here my address:

Heiner Viefhues
Wissmannstr. 26

50823 Köln

Thanks and Cheers

Heiner
If all the winners are going to lure I could indeed ship it to 1 person to give out at Lure. I'm hesistant to mail all the prizes to marcos as his postal system is kind of backlogged he told me. So I'd send it to one of the other 2 winners. If you all aren't going then I'll just ship them out individually.
marcos
Council Member

sounds ok to me, send the stuff to one of them. I'm still waiting for mails that were sent in october from the US :(
Muad'Dib

Good idea. I think the best solution is sending to Heiner. I come to Lure, have ticket so will take my prize from Heiner ;)
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Muad'Dib wrote:Good idea. I think the best solution is sending to Heiner. I come to Lure, have ticket so will take my prize from Heiner ;)
Ok I'll be sending the prizes to Heiner and he can give them out at Lure :) I'll mail them in a week or so. I'll also figure out who got what and post it.

Return to “Online Tournaments”