Methodology for passing motions....

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Gentlemen,

As you are aware, the platform for our current council is one of engagement in which the CoE takes a more active and meaningful role in order to take MECCG into the future.

As such, we can all expect a number of motions to be brought forward to vote on in the future.

I would like to know your thoughts on establishing a quorum, so to speak, and what vote result would mean passage of a motion.

Is there a precedent in place for this from previous sessions of the Council?

Was it a simple majority needed? A super majority?

My initial thought is.... for passage, the motion must have at least 7 of our 8 members voting, and have a majority of votes be in favor of passing. In the event all 8 members vote, there must still be a majority in favor for passage and a tie of 4-4, would mean the motion is nullified and does not pass.

What are your thoughts?

Perhaps one of our previous council members could explain past precedent on this issue.

Highest Regards,

Gavin
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

These are the precedents I know of:

- The CoE charter: http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... it=charter
- The first errata issued: http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... 103&t=1976
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thanks Jose San!

I will start a new thread to address the Charter.

From what I could gather from reading, it appears that in order for a motion to pass it required no more than 50% NO votes from the community AND no more than 33% NO votes from the council members.

Is this correct? And is this the methodology you guys want to use going forward?

Furthermore, what determines which items are put out to the entire community and which items are Council only votes? Obviously, it seems that any rules changes or errata are important to have the entire community weigh in on.

Humbly Yours,

Gavin
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, March 27, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:the community votes on errata proposal, not on the charter afaik.
Well, we always had 9 members, so 50%+ was easy.
Now with 8 members, I second your suggestion that to approve a motion still 50%+ (i.e. 5 yay's) are required. As a modus operandi.

Is revision of the Charter in order, I suppose so, as lex inutil non obligat. On the other hand, it implies the Charter was more of a guideline, and how will we abide by a new one if we didn't/ couldn't hold to the previous one?
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

We can proceed forward with the understanding that for Council Member only motions, a majority of votes must be in favor for the motion to pass.

I am moving this thread to the Completed Agenda Items forum, however, if this topic needs further discussion, it can be resurrected.

Return to “Completed Agenda Items”