They ride together???

Frodo
Ex Council Member

1) It’s not the “hunting down your opponent” that I see as central to the card, but rather the RWs actually “riding” repeatedly, scouring all of middle-earth. In Leon’s version, it would seem that the smartest thing to do is wait until your last turn, then ride out **once** with your 9 RWs to a site, and score 9 MP. In the other version (and to me the “tap to move again” clause doesn’t seem to be too complex), even if you wait until your last turn, there will almost assuredly be more than one battle, and certainly more options for the hazard player.

2) Okay, actually there IS an elegant solution to allow B-dur movement with TRT. Instead of saying:

“tap this card when the company finishes moving; it may move again using region movement to a site not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth.”

We need to say:

“tap this card when the company moves to a site not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth; it may move again using region movement.”

See the difference? The first version allows a company’s first movement to Barad-dur; but none of the later movemetns may be. I actually liked this because it mimicked this idea of the RWs briefly visiting their “base” before setting out.

The second version allows you to visit Barad-dur only on your LAST movement (after you’ve tapped all 3 TRTs, and are choosing to use the last allowed movement, even though it doesn’t give you any more points ‘cause all your TRTs are tapped already). You guys probably like the second version better, right?

3) Re not requiring Black Horse: Boder we didn’t want TRT to do absolutely **everything** for a player, and it seemed that getting just a few Black Horses was not that difficult (and it would look cool on the table). Your second suggestion of having each copy give a certain amount of MP is interesting, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to word it. If you can do so, I’ll respond again (keep in mind it shouldn’t take up more words than the current version spends on stating its MP worth).

4) Looking over the card again, the clause allowing the RW player to untap or not untap the card does make the whole thing a bit thicker. Maybe allowing the untapping is not necessary? In other words, we could simply say “This card never untaps”—and sure, that would mean that the RW player could never use the card more than once, but with 3 of them in deck, maybe that’s not a big deal? At least he would get to keep his MPs.

Here’s what it could look like at this point:
During your organization phase (or immediately after a ring is played), you may place a Black Rider or Black Horse from your sideboard with this card. You may play such cards as if they were in your hand and you may play any number of Ringwraith followers in a turn. Your Ringwraith’s company has no size limit. If you have all nine Ringwraiths in play, tap one copy of this card when the company finishes moving; it may move again using region movement to a site not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth. If tapped, this card never untaps and is worth 1 MP for every 3 Ringwraiths you have in play.
[110 words]

OR:
During your organization phase (or immediately after a ring is played), you may place a Black Rider or Black Horse from your sideboard with this card. You may play such cards as if they were in your hand and you may play any number of Ringwraith followers in a turn. Your Ringwraith’s company has no size limit. If you have all nine Ringwraiths in play, tap one copy of this card when the company finishes moving; it may move again using region movement to a site not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth. You may chose to keep this card tapped during the untap phase. This card is worth 1 MP for every 3 Ringwraiths you have in play.
[117 words] [*will barely fit]

Edit: Or use the clause "“tap this card when the company moves to a site not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth; it may move again using region movement.” to allow final B-dur movement.

--Frodo
Last edited by Frodo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerdmeetsyou

I would also vote for NEVER untap.... because it si simpler that way!

I believe the problem is mmore...
how should I get the more Influence to controle 9 followers...
and until now... I only see it possible by using black horses....
so only the influence stops me from using black rider.... what is kind of pitty i believe...
Leon

I think there are so much ideas here that this could better be on two separate virtual cards: They Ride Together V and a Black Rider V. If I have time this weekend I will compose a list of my ideas, including a description of what each ringwraith could do with his virtual abilities. More information later.
Nerdmeetsyou

YEAH this is the best proposal since the beginning of this card...!!!
splitting it into two seems like the BEST idear ever!

At best, two cards that play nicely together, but don't depend on each other!!!
marcos
Council Member

i think that Joe's final 2 versions are pretty ok

@Boder, of course you are going to need black horse, what is wrong with that? It doesn't stops you from using black rider at all
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

still same problem, you need 9 to tap and move again, and you need it tapped to gain mp's, ergo one dies first movement then no mp's.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Showcase”