(V suggestion) Avatarless Balrog

Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

then again, I don't know an avatar that's worth mps. And Vastors card is not an avatar. And his cards might not always be the best solution either (sorry Nico), and likely this is not even his card -the whole warlord idea comes elsewhere and is more for FATE so has other purposes.

If the avatar clause works, then that's fine with me. But I don't understand why you'd need to use GI to control this guy if he's your avatar. And if you don't need GI, then the mp reward is not good, it's a basic thing of balance, if Warlord gives mp's, then that card is at fault I'd say.

I'm not sure if we should keep the part about unlimited number to bring maggots into play, because other than normal dwarves the Balrog can play them from sideboard, which could mean trouble.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:then again, I don't know an avatar that's worth mps. And Vastors card is not an avatar. And his cards might not always be the best solution either (sorry Nico), and likely this is not even his card -the whole warlord idea comes elsewhere and is more for FATE so has other purposes.
Yeah i noticed that, but i meant the old version of "terror of Cardolan" wich made Ardagor a warlord and require no Influence to control, etc... I know this is not Vastor's card, i just said that i based this one on his cards or whoever made them!
If the avatar clause works, then that's fine with me. But I don't understand why you'd need to use GI to control this guy if he's your avatar. And if you don't need GI, then the mp reward is not good, it's a basic thing of balance, if Warlord gives mp's, then that card is at fault I'd say.
That is why i kept it using half his mind instead of not counting at all. After all this guy will be just an orc/ troll and not a huge force like the balrog or a Ringwraith or a Maia... I prefer to keep the MPs and use half his mind instead of not requiring influence to controll at all
I'm not sure if we should keep the part about unlimited number to bring maggots into play, because other than normal dwarves the Balrog can play them from sideboard, which could mean trouble.
I'm not sure either, i rather remove that part.

new shot:
Permanent-Event
Balrog Specific. Command. Playable during organization phase on a Leader with mind 7 or more if you don't controll The Balrog. Target character becomes your Avatar. Return all other command cards on target leader to your hand. This character's mind is halved (rounded up) for purposes of controlling him. +1 DI for each region away from Moria or each Under-deeps movement away from Under gates the leader is. One and two minded orcs in the same company requires no influence to be controlled. There is no limit to the size of the company. Cannot be duplicated as a virtual card by a given player.
CP: 4
marcos
Council Member

i'm going to include last version of this card to playtest in gccg. There are going to be 2 more slots to add cards that help with this theme.
The ones i'm going to remove are "await the advent of allies", "carrion birds" and "crebain"
i hope this is ok with everyone
marcos
Council Member

I just thought that to give some more theme to this new "avatarless" balrog, we could make some support cards according to wich character is Obey him or Die V played on:

i'll be at your heels V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Azog...

i'll report you V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Bolg...

Smart and secret V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Umagaur...

No more nonsense/ Vanguard of might V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Buthrakaur...

I'm missing text though :P
I'm hearing ideas and suggestions for these 4
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

you actually think we've got slots to spare? :lol:
don't know, as much as I like personalizing and adding flavour, making 4 cards for this strat might seem a bit too much, the number of cards we can do isn't endless, unfortunately.

on the other hand, Virtuals might be forever doomed to be played by a few guys online, because at Lure there were 3 people wanting to play a virtuals tourney :cry:

btw. I still don't understand why your avatar should have a mind stat and be worth mp's, it seems contrary to game, and can bring troubles in terms of influencing, or heck, taking prisoners (-3 mp if prisoner, hehe).
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

well those 4 can be reduced to just 2:

i'll be at your heels V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Azog or Bolg...

i'll report you V
Playable if Obey him or Die V is on Umagaur or Buthrakaur...

I though on the character giving MPs because this "warlord" is unique, therefore you are not drawing him early unless you use him in a starting company (or you run the 4 characters that can bear this card), and it is kinda annoying to loose MPs for a card that was already in play.

Btw, i thought that the word "Avatar" cleared the issues about influencing stuff away from this character...
marcos
Council Member

Going Ever Under Dark V
Playable on Azog or Bolg if Obey him or die V is on either them. You may keep 1 more card than normal in hand as long as your Avatar is 5 or more regions away from Moria. Hazard creatures your companies defeat while not at any underdeeps site are worth full marshalling points. +1 prowess to all characters vs Elves, Men or Dwarves while not at any under deeps site. You may bring this card from sideboard during organization phase if Obey Him or Die V is in play. Cannot be duplicated as a virtual card.

Far Below the Deepest Delvings V
Playable on Buthrakaur or Umagaur if Obey him or die V is on either them. You may keep 1 more card than normal in hand as long as target character is 2 or more underdeeps-sites away from The Under-gates. Allies that are normally playable only by The Balrog can be played with your Avatar. If sojourn in Shadows V is in play, you get full marshalling points for any spawn your companies defeat. Any spawn attack against your Avatar's company receives -1 strike -2 body and your Avatar must always be assigned the first strike of such attack. You may bring this card from sideboard during organization phase if Obey Him or Die V is in play. Cannot be duplicated as a virtual card.

first shots, any ideas to improve them?

Azog/ Bolg are focused on a Battle of five armies theme (+ prowess vs elves, men or dwarves) and surface action.
Buthra/ Uma are focused on under-deeps action mainly facing those ugly Spawns that are invading hog's people caves

Maybe card names might change for some others that suit better

these 2 are going to replace crebain and carrion feeders on my preliminar VC2 set

Return to “Showcase”