Free To Choose

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Diplomat Only during the Organization phase. Tap a Diplomat at the same site as an opponent's minion agent to make an influence check against that agent. Unused general influence does not apply, and add 3 to the roll if the diplomat and agent have the same home site. If successful, place this card with the agent; the agent is now a hero character under your control. Play of this card counts against the one character/turn limit. May not be duplicated by a given player.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Nice, I like it! Could be a very strong anti agent card. Few points/ questions.
-can it be played in response to an agent's action during site phase?

-it might scare people out of using low mind agents, since those rolls are pretty automatic with a wizard. It can be played following org.phase so there's no way to tap out wizard.

-so no precious/lobelia? why not, that would be really useful and really different :wink: , and as we've established earlier there's way too much Precious anyway, and how cool would it be to say 'Smeagol, you're free to choose?'

-unless you play this as FW on an agent yourself, there's actually very few occasions where you might have a hero diplomat and an agent with same home site. Theoden(Peath)/Wormtongue/Freca/Wolf comes to mind, but else? Thorin/Dror, Gimli/Dain/Fori, Imrahil/Elwen. (ok, Halbarad/Herion, Vygravil/Ivic would be cool, or Galva/Gergeli, but how likely is that?). So I suppose this will most often be played by your wizard anyway, and only Saruman shares home site with some agents. So why not make it a plus if agent is from same race, instead of home site?

-and, it will be a sideboarder most of time, maybe add some alternative use, like with Withdrawn to Mordor, so you would stick it in deck straight?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Leon

Let's see if I get this straight:

DI + roll (+3 perhaps) versus Mind

The agent is supposed to be in play as an agent, not as minion-character. If I am incorrect, please tell me.

I am confused because you mention GI, so this would mean an agent in play as character, right? Sort of a hero version of Treason the Greatest Foe.
Nerdmeetsyou

why shouldn't it be playable against lobelia or my precious?
why do you want to forbid it?
marcos
Council Member

i like this one but i agree on everything that Eric pointed out :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

To answer a few questions (as best as I can):

First off, I thought up the card because I was receiving a lot of grief from a particular agent in a game and thought, "Man, I wish I could just influence him."

I made it Organization phase for two reasons:

1) It won't completely emasculate agent play by turning an agent into a character the same turn your opponent plays him, and

2) I didn't want to make another card that lets a person play characters outside the organization phase.

As for Precious/Lobelia -- good point, let's say "hazard agent" instead of "minion agent," as that will also clear up potential confusion later on.

Yes, there are few occasions where a diplomat and an agent would have the same home site, but I feel those occasions ought to be rewarded. +3 is pretty good, and same race would make it too common.

Depending on the deck, I think it would be a straight up card. For example, anybody doing a Hero Mordor raid might savor the chance to get Golodhros on their side. With an effect so potentially strong, I don't think an alternate use is required.

@ Leon:

That was the idea. Influence according to the Influence rules -- perhaps we should add the cross-alignment penalty, since you're trying to convince a bad guy to be a good guy again. So:

Playable on a Diplomat during the Organization Phase instead of playing a character. Target diplomat may make an influence attempt against a hazard agent at the same site as though target agent were a Minion Character modified by +3 if they have the same home site and not modified by general influence. If successful, place this card with the agent; the agent is now a hero character under your control. May not be duplicated by a given player.

I mention GI because the standard rules for influencing a character mention it, so it needs to be considered.

@ Boder

Yep, you and Thorsten convinced me. There should be some sort of reason for My Precious to have +4 to corruption checks, and it'll be interesting to have negative character points. :)
Leon

Mistress Lobelia and My Precious already have an ally manifestation, so there is no need to be able to play them as character as well. My Precious even gives an opportunity to play Gollum:

Also, I like homesite better than race. Almost any diplomat character has some agent that shares the homesite. Plus, influence checks are quite easy to boost for heroes.
My Precious
Scout Hobbit
[2/9; -1 kill MP; 4 mind; 0 direct influence; +4 corruption mod; Home Site: Mt. Doom, Shelob's Lair, Goblin-gate, Moria]
Unique. Manifestation of Gollum. Agent. May take an extra agent action (not counting against the hazard limit) each time he normally takes an agent action. If he attacks successfully against a company with a ring, he and a ring (attacker's choice) are discarded. If My Precious attacks and fails but is not defeated, the defender may tap a character in the target company to play Gollum (My Precious is discarded). Any player whose character eliminates My Precious receives -1 kill MPs.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I like the cross alignment penalty, still, since it's org.phase you can always free 10 di from your wizard and thus a low mind agent would stand a difficult chance.
The game you mentioned probably involved a squatting company, since agents are most annoing there. If comp. is squatting, you can reorganize and prepare to have the influence free for this card, so it might as well be another phase, even untap phase if site phase doesn't work out because of the response to agent action factor. Since the agent probably won't be revealed at the site you're at 1st turn, since he may not do squat anyway, there is no fear this card is used the turn he is played. And the 1 per turn rule is already mentioned, so if you've played a char you can't play this card I suppose

vs. hero the only agents you see with some degree of regularity are Precious, Lobelia and Baduila. Sometimes Wormtongue/Dror for self protection, sometimes Anarin, sometimes Golodhros/Firiel vs Gondor. Of course minion/fw opponent might decide to drop a character as agent if useful. Golodhros might have some use vs. dunk but not much, I don't see him much vs hero, so I would never use this card straight in deck if it's not usable on Precious, even if I squat whole game and one of above agents could ruin my day. Now that it is, I might. But still an alternative might be useful.

same race would only make it common for man agents, the agents mentioned above, which are used most, are not men...and nobody has a shadow/dark-hold homesite anyway.

Precious as character...cool, must be worth testing, finally he can use an item.

I believe Vastor has also a card that does this, but like with normal influence check, you have to reveal the agent yourself to play him otherwise he is just discarded. That could be an option too.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Leon

I think that you should make a special part for Mistress Lobelia and My Precious that says you can play the ally (without tapping the site) if you succesfully influence the agent. You can even reveal the ally to get a bonus on the check and make it nearly automatic for these guys. Those guys are better and more suitable as allies than as characters.

Return to “Showcase”