Heros wizards : level problem

Mirdhynn

I don't know if it's the case for you but I always see 2 Radagast or pallando supported by 1 gandalf in my opponent's decks.
The fact is that I think that Saruman and in a minor way Alatar and Gandalf are not as efficients as the three I have cited above.

• The radagast drawing cards capacity is really awesome and he get a +1 to corruption test bonus
  • Pallando is just a super squatter wizard : +1 to hand , can call Cirdan and elves of lindon (too) easily to get a 5 point and a hand size of 10 fastly.
  • Gandalf is for me a good supporting wizard (+1 corruption, haven home site), his ability to test rings is a little bit trivial due to the difficulties to make an efficient deck based on rings. but I think he is at a good power average.
  • Alatar have good skils but a poor ability
  • Saruman should be strong with his capacity to search spells , but you often need to tap him for anything else. Tap to use a palantir ? :lol:

What is your sentiment about an enhancement of these 3 avatars or a downgrade of Radagast and Pallando?
marcos
Council Member

Mirdhynn wrote:I don't know if it's the case for you but I always see 2 Radagast or pallando supported by 1 gandalf in my opponent's decks.
The fact is that I think that Saruman and in a minor way Alatar and Gandalf are not as efficients as the three I have cited above.

• The radagast drawing cards capacity is really awesome and he get a +1 to corruption test bonus
  • Pallando is just a super squatter wizard : +1 to hand , can call Cirdan and elves of lindon (too) easily to get a 5 point and a hand size of 10 fastly.
  • Gandalf is for me a good supporting wizard (+1 corruption, haven home site), his ability to test rings is a little bit trivial due to the difficulties to make an efficient deck based on rings. but I think he is at a good power average.
  • Alatar have good skils but a poor ability
  • Saruman should be strong with his capacity to search spells , but you often need to tap him for anything else. Tap to use a palantir ? :lol:

What is your sentiment about an enhancement of these 3 avatars or a downgrade of Radagast and Pallando?
We already gave Gandalf a boost with Virtual Narya and Virtual Shadowfax, that should put him in a good balance. About the other 2, i agree that they 'may' need some boost. Any suggestions?
Mirdhynn

Some Ideas to pick in (not cumulatives ones :lol: ) should be :

I think Alatar should be boosted in term of fighting abilities ("the hunt" is an explicit sample card).
  • Make him a 8/9
  • Enable him to use sacrifice of form from the sideboard
  • Prowess is not modified when not tapping to face a strike.
Saruman should be enhanced in terms of magical capabilities :
  • At the beginning of each of your end-of-turn phases, you may search one "spell" card from your discard pile and return it to your hand. (No need to tap)
  • +1 to corruption checks when casting a spell

But perhaps other player have better ideas :lol:
marcos
Council Member

well, those are some nice ideas, but keep in mind that one of the objectives we have with VCs is not to make the old cards obsolete, so in wich terms will be the old ones "choosable" instead of the ones you suggested?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The Hunt has already become very useful in the Virtual Card format thanks to the greater ease of access to minor items. (Think Elven Rope.) Also, Alatar's ability to reduce opponent draw, while not as big as Radagast's ability, is still pretty nice.

I don't know that Alatar needs boosting, but Saruman might. I agree that the fact that Saruman has to tap is the big limiter on both his abilities (most people like their wizards to be able to sideboard) -- what if we removed the necessity of tapping from both of them?
Saruman
Unique. May use Palantiri he bears. At the beginning of each of his end-of-turn phases, he may take one "spell" card from his discard pile and return it to his hand.
Combined with the Virtual First of the Order, that should make for a tidy and versatile package.
Mirdhynn

Sorry, I am not sure to understand well (not an english man :D )
You mean that the updates should be on other cards that on the wizard's one?
Like the virtual Narya ?
marcos
Council Member

Mirdhynn wrote:Sorry, I am not sure to understand well (not an english man :D )
You mean that the updates should be on other cards that on the wizard's one?
Like the virtual Narya ?
yes, you can also find a Virtual set 2 and 3 with SVN access to GCCG, otherwise, you can check the spoilers of the sets (not up to date) in here
VCs are completely new cards with the same name and picture as the old ones, but completely different text and skills without making the original card obsolete
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Some of the Virtual cards already created can be used as indirect boosts for a given Wizard. Sometimes it's more balanced or more efficient to leave the Wizard card itself alone.
marcos
Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote:The Hunt has already become very useful in the Virtual Card format thanks to the greater ease of access to minor items. (Think Elven Rope.) Also, Alatar's ability to reduce opponent draw, while not as big as Radagast's ability, is still pretty nice.

I don't know that Alatar needs boosting, but Saruman might. I agree that the fact that Saruman has to tap is the big limiter on both his abilities (most people like their wizards to be able to sideboard) -- what if we removed the necessity of tapping from both of them?
Saruman
Unique. May use Palantiri he bears. At the beginning of each of his end-of-turn phases, he may take one "spell" card from his discard pile and return it to his hand.
Combined with the Virtual First of the Order, that should make for a tidy and versatile package.
in my oppinion, Saruman has the same issue than Fallen Saruma wich is called "beorning skin changers".
The fact that he can't move alone is very crappy as well as "the tap to take a spell" thing... What if we desing a warrior ally wich would prevent him from being bounced from skin changers with some ability like tap him to untap saruman during the end of turn phase. Something along the lines of V shadowfax but for saruman use...

V (name???)
Warrior ally
P/B: 5/6
Unique. Playable only by Saruman at Isengard whether the site is tapped or untapped. Tap this ally during the end of turn phase to untap Saruman. When Saruman enters play, you may bring this card from your discard pile into your hand.

Any suggestion on wich card could fit with this idea?
Mirdhynn

hum... yes I understand but you have made a new legolas card, no?

Any way I will try to make something on other cards. But it will probably kill some of my ideas (Like the saruman ones)
marcos
Council Member

yes, but that legolas doesnt make the old one obsolete because it is in almost all aspects different than the original, so you could choose between the 2 legolas to use the one that is better for your deck
Mirdhynn

Ok We will so work on Saruman.

Why not just using a card which fit well to him :

The White Wizard
Permanent event
Unique. Playable on a Wizard with Sacrifice of Form or on Saruman if he is your hero avatar.
Tap this card to untap your wizard.
Can be played on hero Saruman from your sideboard as if it was in your hand.
marcos
Council Member

we also want the cards to be balanced ;)
Doesn't it make it too easy for him? I mean not only the spell thing but also 2 SB per turn or some other goodie at the cost of just 1 SB slot...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

If we want a more active Hero Saruman that won't obsolete the original:
Unique. Once per turn, you may bring a spell card from your discard pile to your hand.
Since Skin-changers do have counters (Goldberry, Promtings of Wisdom), I'm not sure we would need them too directly counterable by Saruman.
Mirdhynn

Ok so the text shouk be :

The White Wizard
Permanent event
Unique. Playable on a Wizard with Sacrifice of Form or on Saruman if he is your hero avatar.Once per turn, you may bring a spell card from your discard pile to your hand. Can be played on hero Saruman from your sideboard as if it was in your hand.

I think we need to keep the possibility to get this card easily with saruman , because other wizards have their capabilities directly included on their card.

Return to “Showcase”