Ground Rules for Using Virtual Cards In Game Play

Frodo
Ex Council Member

Ground Rules for Using Virtual Cards In Game Play

This document will explain to you how to use Virtual Cards in your Middle-earth decks, as well as present guidelines to tournament organizers who wish to run "Virtual Format" games.

RULES FOR VIRTUAL CARD GAMES: The 9 German Promos are legal for any event that allows Virtual Cards. Your deck should have at least one Virtual Card in it (though for tournaments, see the guidelines below).

Other than the above, there aren't any new rules! That's right, the Standard Game rules apply in all cases. Still, clarifications need to be made, so see the next paragraph...

UNIQUENESS AND NUMBER IN DECK: Of course you are allowed to use the original card titles in your deck even with the Virtual versions. The old versions are not banned at all! However, as always you must obey uniqueness rules. For example, Black Numenoreans (V) is a non-unique faction when using it as a Virtual Card. I can put up to three of it in my deck. However, if I have even one copy of the original Black Numenoreans in my deck, which is unique, I cannot have any copies of the virtual version in my deck. The reason why is because the uniqueness looks for the same card title. This is an important ground rule to understand. If the original version of a cards said “cannot be duplicated,” but the Virtual version does not, such as Nazgul Are Abroad (V), then once I put into play a copy of Nazgul Are Abroad (original) I cannot play the virtual version. Again, the “cannot be duplicated” phrase prohibits the same card title from being played. If I already had a copy or two of Nazgul Are Abroad (V) (virtual) in play, then I could not play Nazgul Are Abroad (original), and neither could my opponent.

VIRTUAL CARDS ON GCCG: The Virtual Cards now have their own gold-bordered set on GCCG. If you can't see the Virtual Card images, you'll need to download your image file again. Play a virtual game by using the "Dream Card" server tables, but note that it is considered respectful to ask your opponent if you can use a deck with virtual cards against him (this is called a Virtual Format deck, as opposed to General Opponent Format). But remember that you don't need to have a Virtual deck to compete against someone--Virtual decks are also meant to be played against non-Virtual decks! Note: You must export Virtual Card deck lists in "gccg" format, not netmeccg.

TAPE AND ADHESIVE: When cutting out Virtual Card text boxes and replacing them over your original card, it is not necessary to use adhesive, but the piece of paper must not stick out and be seen in the sleeve or the tournament director may interpret that as cheating. If you prefer adhesive, I would recommend Scotch “Poster” Tape, which is a soft, double-sided cotton-like tape that is very gentle and comes off the card easily. I have put this tape on many of my expensive rares from other games that use Virtual Cards.

GAME TEXT REPLACED: When using the Virtual Cards print-outs, only text boxes are replaced on the original card. This means a virtual card keeps any of its old skills and event types. An exception to this rule is if the Virtual Card’s text box is the large kind that actually lists a new event type, or skills, or a new prowess/body, such as the Virtual Card boxes for Legolas, Snaga, and Khamul Unleashed.

REFERRING TO VIRTUAL CARDS: When referring to the virtual version of a card, the preferred and easy way to do so is to put a (V) after the card title, as in “The Nazgul Are Abroad (V).”

GUIDELINES FOR VIRTUAL CARD TOURNAMENTS AND THEIR ORGANIZERS
If you’re planning a running a virtual card tournament, contact Joe Bisz to make sure the latest updates and revisions are posted to the forum. In addition, here are some time-tested guidelines:

A) Scheduling: Don't run it at the same time as Lidless sealed!!!! (Remember Antwerp.)
B) Virtual Card Tournament Rules: For the Rules, just say:

"At least two resources and two hazards from your play deck (not sideboard) must be a Virtual Card. However, if you attempt to start the game with a virtual character or virtual resource, you do not need a second Virtual resource."

But if it’s the last minute before a Virtual Card tournament, and someone really wants to play but has no time to look over the new card set, I would let them… after all, the VC decks are designed to compete against general opponent decks, too!
C) Winners and Prizes: You should have TWO types of winners: the regular most-TP winner of the rounds, and the "most thematic deck" winner, who is decided by each of the other players voting (let them know ahead of time about this), with prizes for each. This will encourage the casual players to make these decks and have fun too!!!!! (As opposed to winning being the only reward).
D) Extra Decks for Extra Players: Have a few extra Virtual Decks laying around, for those who are curious and want to play but just didn't have time to throw a deck together! This is really important and can make the difference between a partially-attended event and a full one.
E) “Virtual Cards Workshop”: Finally, if you have time, it would be fun to assign someone else who know the Virtual Cards well to run a "Virtual Deck Workshop" on the event calendar, scheduled for a half-hour or so before the VC tourney or at any time. Here the main purpose would be to look over people's decks, show them the Virtual Set printout, and suggest to them a few cards from the Virtual Set that would fit right in!!

Let us know what you think in the "Virtual Card Discussion and Playtesting" forum!

Return to “Showcase”