Aware of their ways V

marcos
Council Member

This one comes from the spanish forum:

Unique as a Virtual card. This card reserves up to one hazard. To reserve a hazard put it face down "up to the side" with this card (without counting against hazard limit). Whenever a copy of the face down card is played by any player, flip the card face up and put Aware of their Ways V in that player's MP pile. His/her GI is reduced by 2 (by 4 if a RW player).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

What happens to the card placed off to the side?

Would this card have any MP value?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

I suppose that the card placed off to the side should be either discarded or stay with it. Anyways i have thought of placing it on the MP pile, but maybe it is not the way to go. I am thinking on how to word it so it will affect only the player that plays the face down card first... What about this:

Unique as a Virtual card. This card reserves up to one hazard. To reserve a hazard put it face down "off to the side" with this card (without counting against hazard limit). Whenever a copy of the face down card is played by any player, flip the card face up and discard it. Aware of their Ways V reduces that player's GI by 2 (by 4 if a RW player).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I like that one better. :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Does make for more gratuitous speed decks though, we've been toying around with such ideas for dreamcards as well (Darkness Ahead), but I'd hesitate for that reason.
Aware of THeir Ways is a hazard, so basically you'd use 2 hazards to protect yourself from opponent's hazards? That's not exactly what hazards are meant for.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

it could be made a resource of course if you don't like it as a hazard, but i'd have to look for another card's title to fit this text :)
marcos
Council Member

what about Balance between powers (yet again) :D
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Go for it. :)
marcos
Council Member

this 2 options also came from the spanish forum, both resources:

Permanent Event:
May be played at the start of the game instead of 2 minor items. Put a hazard from your SB aside with this card, such hazard can't be played. Cannot be duplicated by a given player.

Permanent Event
When this card enter play, look at the top 10 cards from your opponent's discard pile, choose a hazard to "set aside" with this card. At any time a copy of the aside card is played, it's effect is cancelled and discarded, discard this card and the aside card.
Last edited by marcos on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

First effect is too strong as a unique. Whoever reveals it first prevents their opponent from support cards during the draft. Instead, it should be "may not be duplicated by a given player."
marcos
Council Member

edited
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Personally speaking, I feel the second's effect would bog down the game a little much. The first's is clean-cut, simple, and ideal for shaking up the metagame.
marcos
Council Member

well, we have 3 versions here:
1 wrote:Permanent-event:
Unique as a Virtual card. This card reserves up to one hazard. To reserve a hazard put it face down "off to the side" with this card (without counting against hazard limit). Whenever a copy of the face down card is played by any player, flip the card face up and discard it. Aware of their Ways V reduces that player's GI by 2 (by 4 if a RW player).
2 wrote:Permanent-event:
May be played at the start of the game instead of 2 minor items. Put a hazard from your SB aside with this card, such hazard can't be played. Cannot be duplicated by a given player.
3 wrote:Permanent-event
When this card enter play, look at the top 10 cards from your opponent's discard pile, choose a hazard to "set aside" with this card. At any time a copy of the aside card is played, it's effect is cancelled and discarded, discard this card and the aside card.
Which one is the better?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'd like the first, but would have reserving the card count against the hazard limit. Reducing GI might help against the Balrog, but it'll crucify Fallen Saruman.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I like 3, cause it doesn't affect speed too much, reserving own hazards increases speed tremendously (whether with a resource or a hazard) which favours decks that need only a few cards to win. Manipulating opponent's cards is tricky though, you can effectively deny him the use of a hazard for the entire game by just letting it rot on there. Ok there's Marvels, and Great Secrets does the same. Well, worth a try.

nr. 1 has a pretty significant drawback, so it might scare people enough out of using it frequently, but that at the same time is not what you design for.

nr. 2 I don't really get, I suppose the same effect (discarding to cancel) still applies? Or you mean it can't be played by any player? Well the latter I don't like it's too disruptive and can have far-reaching effects.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Showcase”