[V-card suggestion] Sting

Nerdmeetsyou

We were talking about a new version of STing in one post....
but don't have a proper idear?
anybody got an idear?
GuardianOfTheFlame

mmhh... the only thing that I suggest is to use a general "logic" rule about weapons and item in general, so I would remove the bonus for Hobbits.
Sting is an elvish-blade created before the events of The Fellowship, and it was not made specifically for Hobbits, so what's the meaning of this bonus?
Orcrist and Glamdring use different logic (Glamdring doesn't give prowess bonus to wizards!) and I think that in a CCG you must create guidelines and follow them.

However, Sting is already a good card for gameplay purposes
Justice is meaningless without Freedom - V (from V For Vendetta by Alan Moore)
Leon

The mayor problem about Sting is the problem with all unique minor items and hoard minor items. It is hardly worth the effort to play them. If you want to improve Sting, make it playable as a starting item. Too be honest I think there are far worse cards in the game than Sting or Bow of Dragon-Horn.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well, I can think of far worse cards than Vanishment, Sacrifice of Form, Rebuild the Town, Open to the Summons, Waiting Shadow, Wondrous Maps (continue?) as well :wink:

Purpose of virtuals is not only to fix cards that are worthless, almost all cards can have a function in the right deck after all, but also to introduce new strategies/vistas and/or give some seldomly used cards a bit more play, right?
Sting would qualify difenitely in my book, other than mathom lore oddity or armory-filler I hardly ever seen it used, and that's counting I only play theme-decks. I brought up Sting because the UEP discussion revealed many people deplored the fact that it's never used. It was deemed not appropiate for UEP purposes, but it deserves a shot at Virtualization I suppose.

But, just boosting prowess for a weapon (bow of Galadrim) or make it more easily playable is not enough of a change for Virtualization, I'd say. The idea's in the UEP discussion were going towards cancelling abilities against orc attacks, could be a way to go, I'll brood on it.

concerning prowess boost especially for Hobbits, I don't think that's so strange. Prowess is not only in the sword, but also in the mind (wax in wax off :wink: ), and a Hobbit would feel he could handle this sword and it would give him a relative bigger prowess bonus than a man, to whom it would only be a dagger perhaps. But, as an Elf-blade it could perhaps also give bonus to Elves, yes.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I've got a deck that gets Bilbo to 7 prowess through Sting, Sworn to Fealty, and a Magic Ring of Courage. Nice theme deck.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Ah, well as long as you're playing To Fealty, why not throw in a Schwertmeister (Swordmaster) as well and give him Orcrist? add a few fellowships and you'll have a 12 prowess hobbit. Obviously we played the Sam kills a nazgul or Bilbo kills Smaug scenario's too, see for example the coolplay tournament at the Lure....
Better yet, if you play fallen (Saruman/Gandalf) you can play the Wear Rings on Every Finger deck, adding a magic ring of Fury, a Binding ring, The reviled ring, a dwarven ring, why not the One Ring? That's one mighty hobbit for yah. :wink:
like I said, why use Sting :wink:
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Ah, well as long as you're playing To Fealty, why not throw in a Schwertmeister (Swordmaster) as well and give him Orcrist? add a few fellowships and you'll have a 12 prowess hobbit. Obviously we played the Sam kills a nazgul or Bilbo kills Smaug scenario's too, see for example the coolplay tournament at the Lure....
Better yet, if you play fallen (Saruman/Gandalf) you can play the Wear Rings on Every Finger deck, adding a magic ring of Fury, a Binding ring, The reviled ring, a dwarven ring, why not the One Ring? That's one mighty hobbit for yah. :wink:
like I said, why use Sting :wink:
Because I'd like my deck to be legal and the German Promos aren't. :)

And any FW deck that bothers with rings is asking for trouble -- Blind to the West the ring tests.

+2 prowess for a Hobbit is just fine, in my opinion. It's a nice boost for an early Fealty Hobbit.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

German promo's are quite legal, you won't get thrown in jail for using them :lol: , except if you win Worlds with them.

yes, if ever there was a mistake, it was made with BttW en IotE, playable at any time, who on earth came up with that idea...?
sly southerner

My UEP suggestion for Sting ages ago on meccg.net was too radical for a UEP. Perhaps it would be OK as a virtual card?

http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.p ... =sting+uep

Sting
Hero Resource - Minor Item
Prowess/Body: +1(+2)/-
Corruption: 1
Description: Unique. Weapon. +1 prowess to a maximum of 8, +2 to a Hobbit's prowess to a maximum of 8. Tap bearer to cancel an orc attack. Bearer makes a corruption check.

Problem: Sting should be a great thematic card but is never used.

Solution: Make Sting enable the bearer to tap and cancel an Orc Attack

Pros: Thematic as Sting was manily used as an 'early warning system' to detect orcs so the hobbits could hide from them. The ability is similar to a Star Glass which is also a minor item. The corruption check is unlikely to be a problem for hobbits.

Rationale: Sting can't be included in a starting company, and for most characters it is the same as a Dagger of Westernesse. The prowess bonus to Hobbits is not worth inclusion in the deck as they are not fighters anyway. Hobbits benefit more from stuff which helps them to be sneaky. This is a minor change which I hope will make Sting more likely to be incuded in a deck which visits a lot of sites with orc attacks.

Return to “Showcase”