[Virtual suggestion] Trouble on all Borders

Leon

Trouble on All Borders
Hazard permanent event

All non-unique men, dunadan, elf or dwarf creature which can only be keyed to regions by name can be keyed to all adjacent regions. Additionally they attack normally versus covert companies. Discard this card if any creature that uses this card to be played is defeated.

This card would help a whole lot of creatures a bit. Note that Corsairs of Umbar is not affected since it can usually be played keyed to coastal seas.

All affected creatures:
Galadhrim C2 2* 11/7 Creature
Elves. Three strikes. Detainment and -2 prowess against hero companies. Playable keyed to Lindon, Rhudaur, Wold & Foothills, or Anfalas; or at non-Haven sites in these regions. Each character wounded by this attack must discard all items he bears.

Steward's Guard C2 1* 8/- Creature
Dúnedain. Five strikes. Detainment against hero and covert companies. May be played keyed to Wold & Foothills, Rohan, Anórien, Lebennin, Brown Lands, Dagorlad, Ithilien, or Harondor.

Stout Men of Gondor C3 1* 7/- Creature
Men. Six strikes. Detainment against hero and covert companies. May be played keyed to Old Pûkel-land, Old Pûkel Gap, Andrast, Anfalas, Lamedon, Belfalas, Lebennin, Anórien, or Rohan; or at sites in these regions.

Arthadan Rangers U 2* 10/6
Dunedain. Each character in the company faces one strike (detainment against covert and hero companies). May be played keyed to Arthedain, Rhudaur, Cardolan, Hollin, and The Shire; and may also be played at sites in these regions. May not be played against a company containing a character with Bree as a home site

Beorning Toll R 2* 11/6
Men. Each character in the company faces one strike (detainment against covert and hero companies). May be played keyed to Anduin Vales, Wold & Foothills, High Pass, and Redhorn Gate; and may also be played at non-Haven sites in these regions. May not be played against a company containing a character with BeornÕs House as a home site

Gondorian Rangers C 2* 9/6
Dœnedain. Each character in the company faces one strike (detainment against covert and hero companies). May be played keyed to Ithilien, Dagorlad, Harondor, Mouths of the Anduin, and Brown Lands; and may also be played at sites in these regions. May not be played against a company containing a character with Henneth Annžn as a home site

Horse-lords C 2* 10/6
Men. Each character in the company faces one strike (detainment against covert and hero companies). May be played keyed to Rohan, Wold & Foothills, Gap of Isen, and An—rien; and may also be played at non-Haven sites in these regions. May not be played against a company containing a character with Edoras as a home site.

Thranduil's Folk R 2* 10/6
Elves. Each character in the company faces one strike (detainment against covert and hero companies). May be played keyed to Woodland Realm, Western Mirkwood, Heart of Mirkwood, Northern Rhovanion, and Grey Mountain Narrows; and may also be played at sites in these regions. May not be played against a company containing a character with ThranduilÕs Halls as a home site

Dunlending Raiders
TYPE: Hazard
RARITY: C1
CLASS: Creature
SUBCLASS: Men
MP: 1
PLAYABLE:
STRIKES: 5
PROWESS: 8
BODY: 0
CORRUPTION: 0
ARTIST: Stephen Schwartz
RANDOM#: 7
Men. Five strikes. Playable keyed to Enedhwaith, Cardolan, Hollin, Rhudar, and Dunland; and may also be played at Ruins & Lairs [R] in these regions.
Nerdmeetsyou

I like this card... because it does nearly the same as the card I suggested...
it makes this cards more playable....
we should decide between those to versions and not make two of the same idear...
Leon

I think this card makes a lot of creatures more playable, without being unrealistic. Thranduils Folk can be daring and venture to Withered Heath with this, but not to Khand. I will try to make a deck with these cards and Chill Them With Fear, since the creatures will suddenly span the map instead of small spots.
Nerdmeetsyou

I like this version much better than my version...
which was intended to do something simmilar...

but i would change the text that it also will be discarded if you played one of this creatures on their original region...
as you wrote it it is only discarded if you played the hazard keyed to an ajicent region...

maybe we can add:

If Gates of Morning are in play these attacks also get +2 prowless.
Leon

You are probably right that it should be discarded if any creature affected by the card is defeated, since that would be enough to drive the armies back to their own lands. I do not think these guys really lack in prowess as it is, but you could give them a bonus versus overt companies like:

Trouble on All Borders
Hazard permanent event

All non-unique men, dunadan, elf or dwarf creature which can only be keyed to regions by name can be keyed to all adjacent regions. Additionally they attack normally versus covert companies and with +1 prowess versus overt companies. Discard if any of these creatures is defeated.

Perhaps it would be a bit extreme for the Galadhrim, since they would reach 22 regions instead of 4, but they will probably still be less effective than Elf Lords or Maia.
Nerdmeetsyou

I think this is something only playtesting can prove...

but in my oppnion... I would make this +2 prowles change...
to still make a difference if they attack "AT HOME" or if they attack in another region...

So you, as a minion player, can still be sure which regions are more or less dangerous....
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The card idea is nice, I think it could work in making the region bound creatures see more play, especially the Galadrim who almost never see play.
I would advise against boost to prowess though, most don't need it, and it would make Galadrim leathal too, with their ability to force discard. But a good addition, how about including Drakes :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Nerdmeetsyou

maybe we should word it following... because I realy want to make it a difference between, if they attack at home or not...

Trouble on All Borders
Hazard permanent event

All non-unique men, dunadan, elf or dwarf creature which can only be keyed to regions by name can be keyed to all adjacent regions. Additionally they attack normally versus covert companies and get -1 prowles if they attack in an adjacent region or +1 prowles if they attack in an region listed on their card.
Discard this card if any attack of one of this creatures fails.

and maybe we should do an additional for dragons...
I realy think this should be done on an extra card...!!!!
Leon

I specifically did not include drakes, since Ice Drake, True Cold Drake and Cave Worm already affect a broad enough range to be included in decks regularly. The only region drake that sees no play is the Sand Drake, but perhaps a change to that specific card would be better than a card for all region drakes. I like your suggestion Boderhamster and I hope the guys that make these virtual sets pick it up.
Leon

Cry to the virtual designers: do you think this is interesting? It is a whole class of creatures that is hardly used, and the only class of creatures for which playability cannot be improved with normal cards. I think the non-unique elf and dunedain creatures (other than Elf-Lord) could use a boost like this.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Personally, I like the idea. When the time comes for us to design a second set, this will be a good card for consideration.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Quick update: I tested this in a game against Frodo, and the balance is perfect -- while it increases region playability, it does not affect site playability, so a company that actually gets where they're going becomes safe.
marcos
Council Member

and it matches perfectly with fool's bane V recycler ability :)
Nerdmeetsyou

nice.... never playtested them... but still love the idear behind both of those cards!
they shoudl definitly be in V-2

Return to “Showcase”