[V suggestion] Wizard's Myrmidon

marcos
Council Member

Wizard's Myrmidon V
Stage Permanent Event
3 SP
Playable only at the start of the game. You may play a character with up to 8 mind with the starting company. Place this card with the character. Target character requires 8 points of influence to be controlled and can only be controlled by general influece or a Fallen-wizard, this effect cannot be overriden by any other resource effect (i.e: gandalf's friend, pallando's aprentice, the forge-master, etc).
Cannot be duplicated by a given player.

might giving a bad beard the possibility of having a big boy be too strong?

thoughts?
Last edited by marcos on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Probably too strong, yeah. Cirdan, Elerina, Beorn, Grimburgoth, Baduila etc. Also, since one could still play the "Friend" card with said character, Gandalf would end up with a 6 DI Cirdan that costs only 1 point of GI.
marcos
Council Member

edited to prevent Friend cards, and remember that if you use this card as a starting resource, you can't play any other because of his 3 SPs, so no hidden haven, no thrall, no never refuse V, etc...

thoughts?
Balin
Ex Council Member

I think it's cool. As you pointed, it'd be the only starting stage resource you can play, so it's not that strong.

Besides, game needs a card like this to encourage virtual FW decks, as v-Open to all summons does for Balrog decks.

Definitely, I like it! :)
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

well the Open to the Summen's does not at to much strategy, since there are still no real missions a balrog could accomplish...

I really tried to build a new type of Balrog deck with OttS but I only ended up playing men & wolf factions instead of orcs & trolls

this deck could be made into an even stronger balrog/wolfy -squater deck, but definitly not into something new

mfg Nicolai
Nerdmeetsyou

and I don't like the idear of removing this kind of disadvantage from fallen wizards....
marcos
Council Member

Vastor Peredhil wrote:well the Open to the Summen's does not at to much strategy, since there are still no real missions a balrog could accomplish...

I really tried to build a new type of Balrog deck with OttS but I only ended up playing men & wolf factions instead of orcs & trolls

this deck could be made into an even stronger balrog/wolfy -squater deck, but definitly not into something new

mfg Nicolai
i saw brian playing a highly strong balrog with men factions and playing some "come by night upon them", low HL and pretty fast.
You could also build a covert balrog deck with baduila, euog, doeth and ill favoured fellows (use ruse, not saly needlessly, stabbed him in his sleep, black horse V, etc)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm still against it. High-mind characters are supposed to be able to sense the weakness in Fallen Wizards and I'd prefer to keep that thematic restriction in place. The high-mind characters are also usually very strong, and the limitation to weaker characters is one of the things that make FWs more balanced within the larger context of the game.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Agree with Bandobras.
Not only prowess, but other tactical advantages for high minders are also too good, and FW's already get to pick the cherries, so to speak.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hey Vastor, I'm open to suggestions on how to make Open to the Summons actually create an interesting and new resource strategy for Balrog. Brian also pointed out that they only thing which really changes is that you're getting Men factions; but so what? This is a card that needs work. Perhaps the Men factions could have some kind of special significance that the Faction-Set helper cards would reference... or the Men factions make Baduila himself very strong... or you can no longer reveal the Balrog but must play a "ringwraithless" Balrog deck that is compensated for by a Baduila character that gets rapidly stronger with each Man faction... or something like that!!

Now I'm getting crazy...

Frodo
Leon

I would also say 8 mind guys are overpowered for FW, they have sufficient options from both hero and minion guys.

My instinctive first idea with Open to the Summons V would be getting the Dunlendings and Hillmen and perhaps visiting only border/freeholds and burning some of them. This allows for loads of points within easier reach of Moria.

Return to “Showcase”