V Hoard well Searched

Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Hoard well searched V: permanent-event

Playable on a minion company containing a dwarf. Place one of the following items with this card from sideboard: The Arkenstone, Necklace of Girion, The Mithril-coat, Ancient Black-axe, Iron-shield of Old, any hoard or gold ring item (except Thong of Fire). These cards are considered in play for purpose of uniqueness. During the site phase at Blue Mountain Dwarfhold or Iron-hill Dwarfhold company may choose to face an attack: dwarves: 3@10 (cannot be cancelled). After this attack, a character in the company may tap and play item from under this card (even if site is tapped). Discard this card after the succesful play of an item.
Any company with a hero dwarf may play hero versions of items under this card at mentioned dwarf-holds (even if site is tapped). If played thusly, discard this card and the item on it.

Card serves following purposes:
- make more and better use of the dwarfholds, pretty cool sites. As it is, they are out of the way, have a very strong attack compared to other greater item sites and are not easiest to burn down either.
- have hero items in play, so opponent can't play them. Meanwhile you can lure him to dwarfhold and have your assassins or double wilder creatures ready. Especially nice for Arkenstone, since you can have it in play and annoy opponent without playing it yourself. this represents of course the need of all dwarves to find the arkenstone and claim it for themselves.
- also works to annoy a Balrog who can't play the Axe.
- serve as a Great Secrets Burried There, which improves cardmanagement, and also lets you get very good underdeeps items without going down. Of course the attack is no picknick, and you can't enter with a overt company because you need a dwarf.

Thought about making items playable at hoard item sites, but decided that a) they are visited alot already and b) if the dragon associated is dead the attack would be non existent.

thoughts?

edited: added Marcos suggestion, skipped line 'if no character is untapped discard this card' to make it shorter; didn't think it was really necessary, had thought it to reflect the fact that you are searching, then you're attacked, if you can't resist the attack (all are tapped) then you must stop searching. Also it would maybe be a way to discard this card without playing the item, which would be good for opponent.
Last edited by Thorsten the Traveller on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

ok, here's my thought:

in general i like the idea of the card but: it makes the ancient black axe pretty easily playable by normal minions and that is supposed to be the axe that gothmog the balrog wielded in the first ages, why should that be playable at a dwarf hold?
Also, any hoard item for minions = Usriev or thong of fire... i don't like that part, i'd remove it...
And i guess you need a better wording on "gold ring special item" because that doesn't exist. It should read either "gold ring item" or "ring special item" (and of course, exclude the one ring from there)
During the site phase at Blue Mountain Dwarfhold or Iron-hill Dwarfhold company may choose to face an attack: dwarves: 3@10 (cannot be cancelled). If no character is untapped after this attack, discard this card. Otherwise, tap a character in the company and play item from under this card
even if site is tapped? you might want to add that little clause if that is the case. Other thing is, if the site is not tapped, does it gets tapped?
Any hero dwarf may play hero versions of items under this card at mentioned dwarf-holds. If played thusly, discard this card and the item on it.

From hand? from out of play? from sideboard? That should be a bit more explained
Thought about making items playable at hoard item sites, but decided that a) they are visited alot already and b) if the dragon associated is dead the attack would be non existent.
agree

the idea sounds nice, it will also encourage the play of dror and fori as characters because they can cancel the auto attack at those sites.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The Axe easily playable? I'd say it's way more difficult than going to the Under-leas. First you need a dwarf, limiting your company composition. Second you're going to a free-hold, through multiple wilderness. Third you have 4@10 dwarves and 3@10 dwarves that can't be cancelled. I wouldn't exactly consider that easier than going to a shadowhold with no sitepath and orcs 5@7...
Well, the dwarves spent a lot of time chasing orcs in the far deeps of the Misty Mountains, after the battle of Azanulbizar/Nanduhirion. They could have easily picked up an axe or shield and taken it as war loot. I mean, why is Orcrist playable at Cirith Ungol, why can you play the Iron Crown at Grey Havens?...Don't know where you got the information that the Axe used to be Gothmogs axe btw.?

about hoard items, I don't see a problem with Usriev, like I said it's way more difficult to play it here than in let's say Ovir Hollow or Framsburg. I did think about Thong, and I wanted to add 'except Thong', but the card was already stuffed. I'm not the word wizard, if you can formulate it shorter then please be my guest 8)
agree on gold ring and edited.
agree on if tapped clause and edited.
Why specify from hand or anything, if it doesn't specify I suppose it's clear you need to play it from hand, isn't it?

the main jest of this card would be to introduce more of a 'fight' over unique items, between minions and heros. You can bring the unique items, like Emerald or such, easily into play with this card, thus frustrating your opponent, but as drawback he might get it more easily by visiting the dwarfhold, but then you can prepare for it with hazards. Or of course you can race your opponent to the dwarfhold 8). Also, everybody wanting to play Necklace/Arkenstone or hoard items is well advised to pack a dwarf when playing against minions.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:The Axe easily playable? I'd say it's way more difficult than going to the Under-leas. First you need a dwarf, limiting your company composition. Second you're going to a free-hold, through multiple wilderness. Third you have 4@10 dwarves and 3@10 dwarves that can't be cancelled. I wouldn't exactly consider that easier than going to a shadowhold with no sitepath and orcs 5@7...
just run dror/fori for the AA, some not slay needlessly, some ruse just in case and you are set... Covert companies can cancel attacks more easily than overt ones. And under deeps movement can take some extra turns
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Well, the dwarves spent a lot of time chasing orcs in the far deeps of the Misty Mountains, after the battle of Azanulbizar/Nanduhirion. They could have easily picked up an axe or shield and taken it as war loot. I mean, why is Orcrist playable at Cirith Ungol, why can you play the Iron Crown at Grey Havens?...Don't know where you got the information that the Axe used to be Gothmogs axe btw.?
silmarillion book says that gothmog wielded a huge black axe
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:about hoard items, I don't see a problem with Usriev, like I said it's way more difficult to play it here than in let's say Ovir Hollow or Framsburg. I did think about Thong, and I wanted to add 'except Thong', but the card was already stuffed. I'm not the word wizard, if you can formulate it shorter then please be my guest 8)
yeah usriev no problem, who would run that anyway? but i think you should add that "except thong of fire". I guess there is no way to make it shorter
Thorsten the traveler wrote:Why specify from hand or anything, if it doesn't specify I suppose it's clear you need to play it from hand, isn't it?
you know, there are some twisted players around that are continiously looking for wholes to take advantage of it... Better fill those wholes
Thorsten the traveler wrote:he main jest of this card would be to introduce more of a 'fight' over unique items, between minions and heros. You can bring the unique items, like Emerald or such, easily into play with this card, thus frustrating your opponent, but as drawback he might get it more easily by visiting the dwarfhold, but then you can prepare for it with hazards. Or of course you can race your opponent to the dwarfhold 8). Also, everybody wanting to play Necklace/Arkenstone or hoard items is well advised to pack a dwarf when playing against minions.
i get the point and i love this idea ;)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

had already added Thong clause :wink:
that's why it says: dwarves 3@10 can't be cancelled!! you have to face it if you want to invoke the power of this card!
okay so he wields an axe, but is it this axe? unfortunately there's no quote on the card.
agreed on the twisted players :lol: , yet to my mind, no card allows you to play something from sideboard or discard or wherever unless specifically stated, thus by default you have to play it from hand I suppose.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I kinda disagree, because I find it an easy way to get out minion Arkenstone, which is too game-deciding. It seriously hampers dwarves. Also its too cheap to get that item that you need.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

of course it hampers dwarves, its meant to, Arkenstone is designed to do that, dwarves are good! If you run dwarves just play Arkenstone yourself then, now nobody bothers Arkenstone because of corruption. :cry: But tell me, which dwarf could sleep peacefully knowing The Arkenstone was around somewhere out of reach?

then suggest what you consider a more expensive way to play it. It seems everybody thinks the dwarf attacks are dwarfed. :?

nb. your own dwarf/dwarves have mind increase also...
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

I am with Eric on this one, the Arkenstone has to be inclueded in every dwarf-deck, be it hero or minion, and this card is a way to encourage its play.

So I am loving this card and it definitly needs a dream-card version as well

...well corruption vs. An Unexpected Party is normally pointless.

mfg Nicolai
marcos
Council Member

i like it now, except for ancient black axe :lol:
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Even with the Arkenstone in a hero deck, comapring it to a minion, he has 4 cards to access it, and you only 1. That seriously upsets balance according to me.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

HwS (V) lets you play the Arkenstone at a site which you should normally visit in you dwarf-deck anyhow.

so the chances increase for you as well

mfg Nicolai
marcos
Council Member

the chances increases in terms of "playability" but not in terms of drawing it as faster as a minion player will draw either one of his 3 HwS (V) or his arkenstone... So, minion player has 4 slots in deck that can provide the item needed while heroes has only 1... I guess that is what Rb means
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

well since you'd play Arkenstone from sideboard and not from hand or deck, chances are 3 times bigger. Yes minion will play Arkenstone first of course, or Emerald, or whatever, but then hero has a lot better chance of playing it easily at the dwarfhold. I repeat, meanwhile minion also suffers from increase in dwarf's mind.

Another construction could be thought of whereby hero also has the option of reserving the hero version with this card from sideboard, but then I guess it would be less viable for the minions.

I made another edit to let hero play item at dwarfhold also if site is already tapped, like with minion. Otherwise it would ruin your chance on the faction. This then also compensates for having trouble with the mind for Arkenstone at least, and more then compensates for not being able to play any other item at will I'd say.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Another construction could be thought of whereby hero also has the option of reserving the hero version with this card from sideboard, but then I guess it would be less viable for the minions.
i thought about this too, i think it will be the best option
Balin
Ex Council Member

As a dwarf, I like the idea :D
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!

Return to “Showcase”