V Morgul-blade

Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

another one for ringwraiths hunting after rings.

Morgul-blade V: permanent-event
Playable on a Ringwraith. Discard this card after a succesfull strike by the ringwraith in CvCC to the following effect: place a Morgul-knife from hand with the wounded character before making a body check. If character is still in play after the body check, he must make a corruption check. If character is discarded, he is instead eliminated. If eliminated by the corruption check, place character in your MP pile, and you may take control of any ring item he bears. Can't be duplicated on a given ringwraith.

This obviously resembles the attempt to turn victim into a wraith. Even if character survives body check and cc (miraculously), he will still have the Knife with him at least...nice for hobbits with big rings, who have high body and cc bonus. But maybe the combo bc and cc is too strong, then I'll skip the bc and make it cc in stead of bc.
Of course the idea is to play Morgul-knife from The Nazgul Abroad V, that's why I didn't make it playable from discard.
Thought about letting ringwraith take any item from victim, but decided that he would not be interested in cram or other filthy hero stuff, only in rings. Can go even step further by making victim a wraith under control of the Ringwraith, but thought that was a step too far for now.

Must go with Ring Leaves it's Mark V of course. Maybe this combo is too strong even?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

I created a Morgul Blade variant a while back (see here). I went the further step of making the character into a wraith and swapping alignments. Still, I very much like your variant. I do have a suggestion:

Don't make the Morgul Knife have to be played immediately.

This kind of highlights the slow progression to the shadow world and makes Morgul-knife easier to utilise. The quicker you can get it into your hand, the quicker you can impart another 4 CPs to the affected character. :twisted:

For instance:

Morgul-blade V:
Permanent-event (2)
Playable on a Ringwraith. A non-Wizard character wounded by this Ringwraith receives this card.
A character with this card receives 2 CPs and must make a corruption check each untap phase. Morgul-knife may be played at any time on a character bearing this card (does not count against the hazard limit). If the character is discarded, he is instead eliminated. Place this card in your MP pile and receive 2 MPs if its accompanying character is eliminated.
If at a Haven during the untap phase, a character with this card may remove it from the game (may not untap or heal). Cannot be duplicated on a given Ringwraith.
marcos
Council Member

i liked Jambo's first version better, the one that turned a character into a wraith :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yes cool version Jamie, didn't see that one - doing homework always pays off, but nice we had same idea.
Yes yours is even cooler, much more eviler, haha.
But I wanted to use Knife to avoid playing your own resource on opponent, which seems not done. And I like the focus on corruption, not on body, there are other CvCC cards or abilities that facilitate the kill, or take a prisoner.
But the resource does give much more options, like adding corruption and a progressive effect indeed. Don't you think 6 CP is a bit over the top though?
If you play Knife, you can have ongoing progressive effect too if you play other hazards, like Weariness or Alone and such, that force CC's.
I also like the thematic ability to take rings.
Do you think the swopping sides is too far to actually become reality in the game? Personally I think, if you place chars of to side, if you can swop items (usriev), then why not characters?
I think this card is worthwhile pursuing. Marcos seems to think active RW is strong enough though :wink: :)
marcos
Council Member

i like active RWs a lot :)
Btw, my tourney decks are both active RWs. But yes, they need some extra stuff to do, they have little things to make...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

made this one for Arda, perhaps it could be used.

The Pale Sword: 2 CP
Dark enchantment. Playable on a character wounded by a Nazgûl attack this turn. Character may not heal. Rotate this card 90 degrees each untap phase and make a corruption check, add 2 for each time rotated (maximum of eight). If character would be discarded, he receives -2 prowess and -1 body this turn instead. If character would be eliminated, discard all cards on him: he becomes a wraith and cannot leave the site. Each company entering the site faces an attack: undead, 1@x, x equals character's base prowess +7. If opponent's companies defeat this attack, place this card in your MP pile: it is worth [-2 MP].
A sage in the company may tap and discard a card with healing effect (if not at a Haven) to make a roll (+3 if at Haven): if >7 discard this card.

would be cool also if you defeat the wraith, you can take his items...
Last edited by Thorsten the Traveller on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marcos
Council Member

nice one, i like the idea of turning a guy into a wraith :D

Return to “Showcase”