(v) Skin-Changer

Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Permanent-Event
-2 DI
(+2/-)
2 cp
Only playable On Beorn. His skills become warrior/scout. If untapped, he must take the first strike of any attack. Tap Beornd at the start of the site phase. He may carry but not use items. You may return this card to your hand during the organisation phase.

A sort of mode card as the nazgul and FAllen Rada have. Comments more than welcome.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Jambo

Nice idea Ringbearer, this card is just begging to be virtualised. I'm not sure why you chose to lose his ranger skill?

Anyway, here's an alternative version of your theme:

Skin-changer V:
Permanent-event
-2 DI
(+2/+1 prowess/body)
Only playable on Beorn. Any items he bears may be transferred to unwounded characters in his company (no corruption checks are required). If untapped, he must take the first strike of any attack. After each attack against Beorn's company Beorn makes a corruption check modified by -2 (-3 if Doors of Night is in play). If Beorn fails a corruption check, Beorn attacks his own company. Treat the attack as a single strike at 16 prowess. After the attack, this card is discarded and the corruption of Beorn is resolved normally. If untapped, tap Beorn at the start of the site phase. You may return this card to your hand during your organization phase.
Last edited by Jambo on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

The reason why I chose for it is that I find him a little too strong if he also is a ranger. As a bear he is more scouting around than really guiding.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Nerdmeetsyou

like the first version better...
because it imitates in a very good way like beon akted in the hobit....
like he saved the guys from attacks... but didn't travel with them for real...
---> so this is why he cannot enter the site....

Would grant him a +1 body also....

But I think he should take a strike from each attack... even if he is tapped....
or only recive a -1 penalty for not tapping...
this makes the card a little better... and even fits thematicly...

so he keeps all the trouble from the other characters away...

About your skill discussion... I think he should only have his warrior skill in bear form... because for scouting and ranger... he would have to interact with the other characters in the company.... which he in the book didin't... (at least in bear form)

maybe even forbid him to transver iteams and to tap as help for an corruption check... becaus he isn't there in fact!!!???
Nerdmeetsyou

So here my final suggestion:

Skin-Changer

Permanent-Event
(+2/+1)
1 cp
Only playable On Beorn. His skills become warrior. He must take the first strike of any attack, regardless of his status. Tap Beornd at the start of the site phase. He may carry but not use items. He may not controle characters, transfer iteams and tap to support any strike or corruption check.
You may return this card to your hand during the organisation phase.
marcos
Council Member

i like it, maybe add "beorn receives only -1 prowess if not tapped to face a strike" like radagast in tiger form?
Nerdmeetsyou

But it wouldn't make any difference with this card...
because you cannot do anything very useful with him if he stays untapped...

because he is tapped at beginning of organisation phase.... and you cannot tap to support....
so i see no point in putting this ability on the card...
marcos
Council Member

the "-1 prowess if untapped" works fine to get through vs several attacks and reach the site phase untapped, then play some resource. Just look at tiger rada or flame balrog...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Nice card that makes Beorn do what he does best: protect and attack in a rage.
I would make it -1 when not tapping, he's going to make a lot of rolls for you, if he's at 6 prowess he's sure to fail pretty quickly. Or maybe if -1 is considered too strong, than -2.
Then on the other side I would not enhance his body. This guy means prowess, and attackers always pay less heed to their defense. Also, with body 9 he only has 17% chance of dying anyway, you don't want or need to make that any less. If he's wounded strikes are not directed to him anymore, so his chances of dying don't decrease more than average.

I like Jambo's CC proposal and resulting attack, but I think it's tricky, it would mean that a single corruption card played on him makes it almost impossible to use this guy, because you're bound to fail and then you get smacked. Perhaps we could make it simple for a man in Bear shape: no other permanent events may be played on Beorn? It means no hazards, but also no resources. He is a bear after all. You can still play corruption short events on him, but since he won't be carrying items that has little use.
We could go as far as saying that perms played on company have no effect on him either, simulating his semi-loner status. No fellowship thus. Would that result in problems?

I would also just make him warrior. The idea is that he protects you fighting, that is very good use!, let other guys tap to play scout/ranger resources then. Would be stupid if you let Beorn fight all your creatures, and then as last resort tap him for a river, because he gets tapped anyway.

I would add: if untapped must face strike of any attack that doesn't choose characters. Otherwise your assassins are useless.

Maybe add even +1 versus orcs, his arch-enemies? nice vs. lieutenants, only problem is cvcc, but it would be justified, and he would be tapped normally so he would end up fighting some Brawler perhaps.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Showcase”