GCCG Pre-qualified slot at Worlds?

Sfan
Ex Council Member

Concerning the 6 or 7 turn-question: the easiest thing would be to make all games 1-deck games. Or we use for this tournament the 80 min. Judges (see below) can watch this.

Concerning cheating: the possibility to cheat is at GCCG very rare. Your opponent can always read what you have done and when. There is no way i.e. to put some cards on top of your deck without your opponent seeing it.

The lack of judges is indeed a problem sometimes. Maybe there can be fixed times where 1 or more judges are online. So people can arrange their games at that specific times.

Mikko's proposal of players invited for the final (If <7 players, 1 invitation. 7-12 players, 2 invitations. >12 players, 3 invitations.) seems reasonable. Maybe the number should be discussed (9-16 for 2 invitations) depending on the attendance . And if there is a odd number, there could be a kind of lottery for a slot.

My two cents,
Stefan
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

I think we should just limit the games to the 80 minute format. I mean regular GCCG players can finish games in the same time a face to face game takes. I know Mark and I have actually had faster games in gccg. We've had numerous 30-45 minute games.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Having the games counted on time isn't a good idea IMO. There are lot of factors that can alter the online games, especially for the ones that play at their homes, at work, etc.

When I'm on a physical tournament, I'm out of my home, can disconnect the phone, etc. But when I'm on home, it's a different thing... the postman, the neighbor, the cat, my father needs help, I need to get an important for call my mother, who's missing, etc.

Also, there is people that is simply too fast or too slow when using GCCG.

The turn limit might be the best way to go IMO.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

When you sign up for a tournament you should make yourself totally available for that time slot. Yes special circumstances happen, but this should be treated like any other tournament. Just because you're at home, doesn't mean you should be getting up and answering the phone and such.
charles jenkins
Ex Council Member

Although I haven't been on GCCG in ages, I agree with "sauron".

If players agree to a set start time and game time limit, those parameters should be adhered to. If I'm playing another player at a certain time, it is likely that the other player set aside said block of time from his busy schedule. It is my responsibility to work within the mutually agreed to timeframe. It is rude for me to ask him to extend his commitment to accommodate my needs.

If I had to get up in the middle of a "real", i.e. cardboard cards, tournament to attend to something "important", I would feel obligated to forfeit the game.

Not trying to be a hard-@ss, just my opinion on sportsmanship.
"I say to you againe, doe not call up Any you cannot put downe"
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

If you look here, you will be interested to see that there may in fact be a pretty big gccg tourney in the works.

There's an attempt now to organize a nations cup, in which teams of three from each nation compete with other teams in a single-elimination tourney. I think we might be able to make something of this: the top triple gets pre-qualified for worlds!

Right now, by my count 6 countries are already signed up:

USA,
Germany,
Poland,
Holland,
Spain,
Finland.

That makes 18 players, which is the size of many national tournaments. It's possible, furthermore, that we might be able to scrape together teams from Austria, the UK, and Italy (or put together alliances from places like Argentina, Japan, Belgium, etc...), giving a grand total of 27 players.

What do ya think?
http://www.alfanos.org
Sfan
Ex Council Member

This is a pretty cool idea. Maybe some people can help out in foreign countries, if there are at least two homelanders.
Tegarend

zarathustra wrote:If you look here, you will be interested to see that there may in fact be a pretty big gccg tourney in the works.

There's an attempt now to organize a nations cup, in which teams of three from each nation compete with other teams in a single-elimination tourney. I think we might be able to make something of this: the top triple gets pre-qualified for worlds!

Right now, by my count 6 countries are already signed up:

USA,
Germany,
Poland,
Holland,
Spain,
Finland.

That makes 18 players, which is the size of many national tournaments. It's possible, furthermore, that we might be able to scrape together teams from Austria, the UK, and Italy (or put together alliances from places like Argentina, Japan, Belgium, etc...), giving a grand total of 27 players.

What do ya think?
*cough*

Right now the Netherlands are not signed up yet, and a lonely (and loony) flemish person submitted Flanders. Yet I guess I'll probably join Team FlanNel.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Registered now:

Australia
Finland
FlanNel (Belgium / Holland)
Germany
Poland
Spain
USA
Austria

That makes 24 players. What do you think? Can we give the prequal slot to this tourney? Say: any one member of the top team (team chooses)?
Sfan
Ex Council Member

I tought it is/are the player(s) with most points.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

So a player who wins all his games but whose team does not win the tournament could get the pre-qualified slot?... :?
miguel
Ex NetRep

I'd like to see one slot go to a member of the winning team. Maybe the MVP player of that team (if they have tied in TPs, judge will decide)?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i also think the best player of the winning team should get this slot. tie? why not have them a game against each other with the same decks?
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Why not let the team elect its own MVP?

In any case, the slot should be sliding within the team, since the top player might already be prequal.
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

I like Mark's idea...a sliding slot within the team (that any of the 3 can take).

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”