COE Agenda 2010/11 - list of items

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

COE Agenda 2010/11 - list of items

lets gather agenda items for this session. add your suggestions in this thread, i will update the list in the first post.

- universal rules document
- judge certification program
- worlds (long expected party)
- COE treasury
- COE promotion items and prize stuff
- how to promote the game?
- release of dreamcard edition (firstborn)
- release of virtual card series
- reprinting real cards
- making german promos tourney legal
- revision of the COE charta
- netrep (team)
- developing new formats (arda, scenarios, ...)
- new tourney formats (virtual genopp, 3deck format, ...)
- develpoing simplified rules
- players directory
- COE homepage
- COE newsletter/magazine
- trading centre
marcos
Council Member

after getting this message from a new member of the forum you could add another item for the agenda:
Hello Marcos,

re-introducing myself, my name is Matt (AKA Wolverine :) ) from Winnipeg, Canada.

As posted I am really hoping I can get involved in some volunteer work / things. I agree 100% of course that the use of virtuals in all tournaments is THE way to go. Perfectly exampled (once again) by Star Wars CCG + the SWCCG PC.

To be honest, as said, I briefly tried the game with small collection in 2003, though the local player base was nil (one person actually and the other main person was in Japan! *Actually just got back)

I have so far (big of bragging) dropped ~5000 USD to piece a perfect collection together, pretty much have 3 of every set so I consider myself invested in :) I am quite excited to re-learn (I only played Hero / Wizards in '03 and again, mostly with the Challenge Decks) the game.

My goals though (as I play Deciphers Star Wars CCG also) is to learn everything about the game, rules, erratas, tournament styles ect and to also get involved to keep the game fresh and on going :)

If you can, any advice to help me accomplish this? Who / what group do I go to on the forum to further present my volunteer offering? :)

thanks for your time thus far,

Matt
- release of Virtual cards new sets and the probability of including them in "official" general opponent events instead of being an alternative format
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Regarding alternate formats:

I strongly recommend urging the adoption of three-deck for some tournaments as a way to shake up game balance while remaining within the rules set forth by ICE. I just want to be sure it finds its place among the listed alternate formats.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Looks like a pretty conclusive list.

If I may be so bold as to summarize a few items into a general question:

how can we, as a respresentative body without real jurisdiction, introduce some changes that give new impetus to the way the game is played, uniting the conservatives and the progressives, so that we gain a wide response and achieve wide recognition and authority (as the CoE befits)?

if this is at all possible :D

A new structure and charter is in order to further sanction such a role for the CoE I think, as 25 people or so voting for us, that's not exactly wide popular support.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:how can we, as a respresentative body without real jurisdiction, introduce some changes that give new impetus to the way the game is played, uniting the conservatives and the progressives, so that we gain a wide response and achieve wide recognition and authority (as the CoE befits)?

if this is at all possible :D
in my opinion, like that guy Matt said on the message he sent me, a way to unite the conservatives and progressives is introducing somehow new cards but not without changing the rules too much, AND making them legal for "official events". It's quite well exampled by SW-CCG. I'm not specifically speaking about the existing VCs or DCs but for a game that is being dead for more than 10 years, we need something to attract people that is being frustrated by seeing the same card and decks over and over but we also need to keep the guys that are still playing enthusiastically, and i repeat what i said before, i'm not speaking about alternative formats, we need it to be official.

We could try organizing a CoE certified event on GCCG as a test and give away some sort of prize. Then if things go well, we can go on to real life tourneys.

Of course, if we ever get to do something like this we are going to need to publicize in every MECCG-related place/web, so the message can reach a wider amount of people...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I was planning on posting some thoughts on the conservative attitude in general once I'm done with the rules documents. :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Sure, I was merely trying to formulate a new kind of mission statement for the CoE, as the current is rather limited in my opinion.

We can/should have the discussion of how to go about it in another thread.
Bruce
Ex Council Member

I see this topic is going a little astray from the starting point. Being said that, I consider it as a positive sign, since this shows a great motivation of the current members and a lot of will to do many things. ;)
I'll post my 2 cents to bring the topic back to its original purpose.

The list is pretty extensive as it is now. We could add links to the corresponding topic in the CoE's forum while they are opened, and post in this thread nothing but proposals about how to modify the list. how about this? ;)
marcos
Council Member

great idea
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

the COE has a vey promising start this time. lots of topics are already up to discussion, but it sems we need to structure a little bit.
first: whats most important? what needs to be done as quickly as possible?

- looking at the list, we should be talking about Worlds. in not even 3 months it will take place. some topics are conntected with worlds, such as prizesupport, COE treasury, tourney formats, ...
- we are already in the midst of discussing errata on specific cards. but before, we should take care, taht the current COE charta enables us to do so. i suggest to overhaul this document, maybe even write a new charta (cause imo the old one is utterly out of date).
- and the very first thing to do should be an update of the homepage. who can do this??

btw: i was granted admin rights (more power to the chairman, hehe ;-). so i can change a few things here now and then (would like to keep it as small as possible, cause i am really no expert of handling such things). if we need some more subforums (eg for errata), i can do this.

another general remark: in the past the COE has been accurate when it comes to motions: a proposal was made, a period of discussion followed, if needed some changes to the proposal, finally voting. problem was, it took ages to come to a decision (because often COE members didnt care as they should have done).
now i dont think we need this process for every decision. if there is obviously a general consensus (for example inviting experts and national representatives as non-voting members to the COE), no voting is needed imo. okay so?!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm in favor of the "assume positive if nobody is voting negative" idea.
marcos
Council Member

- looking at the list, we should be talking about Worlds. in not even 3 months it will take place. some topics are conntected with worlds, such as prizesupport, COE treasury, tourney formats, ...
- we are already in the midst of discussing errata on specific cards. but before, we should take care, taht the current COE charta enables us to do so. i suggest to overhaul this document, maybe even write a new charta (cause imo the old one is utterly out of date).
- and the very first thing to do should be an update of the homepage. who can do this??
I agree about the new charta. And about the webpage, i am not sure who is the webmaster, is it Josh?
btw: i was granted admin rights (more power to the chairman, hehe . so i can change a few things here now and then (would like to keep it as small as possible, cause i am really no expert of handling such things). if we need some more subforums (eg for errata), i can do this.
great stuff
another general remark: in the past the COE has been accurate when it comes to motions: a proposal was made, a period of discussion followed, if needed some changes to the proposal, finally voting. problem was, it took ages to come to a decision (because often COE members didnt care as they should have done).
now i dont think we need this process for every decision. if there is obviously a general consensus (for example inviting experts and national representatives as non-voting members to the COE), no voting is needed imo. okay so?!
agreed
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

New charter for CoE is priority I'd say. It's the basis.

However, that doesn't mean action/discussion on other projects has to wait, just that nothing definite can be undertaken for things that await the new charter. Errata is main issue here.

It would be good to assign for each project a CoE member as first responsible, to lead/coordinate and report on it. (others still very welcome to join in of course). Chairman, job for you.

As for voting, things go faster without vote, so ok on that, as long as it's clear that a voting can be called if needed. Informal dealings are ok as long as common practise doesn't lead to formal law. And I may assume that all members have a good sense to detect sensitive/ controversial issues and don't work around them.

nb. I would make a separate section somewhere for errata proposals/ inventory of "things the community wants fixed"
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

thorondor wrote:another general remark: in the past the COE has been accurate when it comes to motions: a proposal was made, a period of discussion followed, if needed some changes to the proposal, finally voting. problem was, it took ages to come to a decision (because often COE members didnt care as they should have done).
Aye!
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:New charter for CoE is priority I'd say. It's the basis.

However, that doesn't mean action/discussion on other projects has to wait, just that nothing definite can be undertaken for things that await the new charter. Errata is main issue here.

It would be good to assign for each project a CoE member as first responsible, to lead/coordinate and report on it. (others still very welcome to join in of course). Chairman, job for you.

As for voting, things go faster without vote, so ok on that, as long as it's clear that a voting can be called if needed. Informal dealings are ok as long as common practise doesn't lead to formal law. And I may assume that all members have a good sense to detect sensitive/ controversial issues and don't work around them.

nb. I would make a separate section somewhere for errata proposals/ inventory of "things the community wants fixed"
Aye, aye, aye, great!

Return to “Council Business - Agenda Items”