The White Tree

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
gkg

I dislike suggesting that:
"- A majority NO vote would mean that the latest printed version by ICE (Challenge Deck edition) should be used; however, it would remain unclear whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). " aka there may be two discarded Saplings in case of a NO vote.

I believe it is clear and any person with common sense, any judge should see and rule that only one Sapling needs to be discarded.
The above test seems to be unnecessarily motivating players to vote YES, when the situation is clear.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

gkg wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 pm I dislike suggesting that:
"- A majority NO vote would mean that the latest printed version by ICE (Challenge Deck edition) should be used; however, it would remain unclear whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). " aka there may be two discarded Saplings in case of a NO vote.

I believe it is clear and any person with common sense, any judge should see and rule that only one Sapling needs to be discarded.
The above test seems to be unnecessarily motivating players to vote YES, when the situation is clear.
If we could use common sense as an argument, most of these submissions wouldn't be necessary.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

gkg wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 pmI believe it is clear and any person with common sense, any judge should see and rule that only one Sapling needs to be discarded.
I think designing anything without regard for humanity's lack of common sense is a high road to disaster.

Even from a less cynical perspective, "common sense" is hardly as common as its name implies. The only things that can reasonably be called "common sense" are recognitions of situations that lead to physical harm -- the ability of a child, regardless of culture, language, or personal history, to avoid taking a step if they can't find a solid object for their foot -- that's common sense.

Correctly interpreting the rules and the cards for a game that's been out of print for over a decade in order to divine designer intent doesn't come close to common. And the more experience one has with the vagaries of ICE's wording, the less it approaches "sense," as well.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
gkg

I am not against the suggestion, I just feel the motivation part here is overly biased.
Maybe I did not have to voice my concern, but why not give constructive criticism, when there is room for improvement?

The baseline that this is GREAT AND AWESOME INITIATIVE and EXCELLENT WORK and KUDOS TO ALL WHO INVESTED THEIR FREE TIME IN THIS was not mentioned, because it is clear - but there :) Thanks for doing this!
Theo

gkg wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am I am not against the suggestion, I just feel the motivation part here is overly biased.
Maybe I did not have to voice my concern, but why not give constructive criticism, when there is room for improvement
Aye. What about:
"... however, it would remain disputable whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). "
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

This White Tree errata was entirely unnecessary and has already been clarified by ICE numerous times.
Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am It is unclear (and is a matter of controversies) whether "if a Sapling of the White Tree is at Minas Tirith" covers a situation where Sapling of the White Tree is stored at Minas Tirith.
It hasn't been unclear since 2 months after the game came out.
Subject: Re: [METW] Yet another bunch of questions
Date: 1996/02/24

>If opponent stored a sapling at Minas Tirith, can you play a White Tree
>to make HIS sapling grow ? Thus scoring a +7 MP difference ?!
>BTW, what is the exact meaning of "an item being at a site",
>must it be stored ?
>If no, if a character brings a sapling to Minas Tirith,
>when is it considered to be at Minas Tirith ? End of Movement/Hazard ?
>Begining of Site Phase ?

The errata appears in the Companion and in the unlimited set.
You can only play The White Tree if you played the sapling. Since the
Saplings aren't unique, you could both have a sapling in play.

The item just has to be there, storing is not required (though you may want
to if you don't have The Tree in your hand...)
----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Jose-san wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am Can The White Tree be played by discarding a stored sapling?
With proposed errata - yes.
Even without.
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Jose-san wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am Is a stored item currently at a site?
No.
Not correct and this was clarified 2 weeks after the game was released.
Subject: Re: METW White Tree and Siege
Date: 1996/01/04
>1. The White Tree can be played if sapling of the white tree is at
>Minath Tirith. Does that mean only present? Only present with your opponent ?
>Stored by ... me ? ... opponent ?

This is one of those unusual situations where the item you store (the
sapling) is said to reside where you stored it.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”