The White Tree

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
gkg

Re: The White Tree

Post by gkg » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 pm

I dislike suggesting that:
"- A majority NO vote would mean that the latest printed version by ICE (Challenge Deck edition) should be used; however, it would remain unclear whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). " aka there may be two discarded Saplings in case of a NO vote.

I believe it is clear and any person with common sense, any judge should see and rule that only one Sapling needs to be discarded.
The above test seems to be unnecessarily motivating players to vote YES, when the situation is clear.

Jose-san
Council Member

Post by Jose-san » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm

gkg wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 pm
I dislike suggesting that:
"- A majority NO vote would mean that the latest printed version by ICE (Challenge Deck edition) should be used; however, it would remain unclear whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). " aka there may be two discarded Saplings in case of a NO vote.

I believe it is clear and any person with common sense, any judge should see and rule that only one Sapling needs to be discarded.
The above test seems to be unnecessarily motivating players to vote YES, when the situation is clear.
If we could use common sense as an argument, most of these submissions wouldn't be necessary.

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm

gkg wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:35 pm
I think designing anything without regard for humanity's lack of common sense is a high road to disaster.

Even from a less cynical perspective, "common sense" is hardly as common as its name implies. The only things that can reasonably be called "common sense" are recognitions of situations that lead to physical harm -- the ability of a child, regardless of culture, language, or personal history, to avoid taking a step if they can't find a solid object for their foot -- that's common sense.

Correctly interpreting the rules and the cards for a game that's been out of print for over a decade in order to divine designer intent doesn't come close to common. And the more experience one has with the vagaries of ICE's wording, the less it approaches "sense," as well.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly. This prompted the backlash erratum that I will link to as soon as I notice it is officially posted. :)

gkg

Post by gkg » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am

I am not against the suggestion, I just feel the motivation part here is overly biased.
Maybe I did not have to voice my concern, but why not give constructive criticism, when there is room for improvement?

The baseline that this is GREAT AND AWESOME INITIATIVE and EXCELLENT WORK and KUDOS TO ALL WHO INVESTED THEIR FREE TIME IN THIS was not mentioned, because it is clear - but there :) Thanks for doing this!

Theo

Post by Theo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 am

gkg wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am
I am not against the suggestion, I just feel the motivation part here is overly biased.
Maybe I did not have to voice my concern, but why not give constructive criticism, when there is room for improvement
Aye. What about:
"... however, it would remain disputable whether or not the CRF erratum should be applied to this version (possibly causing two Saplings to be discarded). "
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”