Open to the Summons

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Open to the Summons wrote:Playable on a minion company. One agent minion may be played with target company at a Darkhaven [-me_dha-] -place this card with the agent. -1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. This card may be played with a starting company in lieu of a minor item. When played as such, reveal it when starting companies are determined as if it were a character. Cannot be duplicated on a given character.
CRF, Errata (Cards), Open to the Summons wrote:Card Erratum: Replace "minion company" with "company." Does not allow you to
start with a character that says he cannot be in the starting company.
The card does not allow to have an agent character in starting company, therefore its ability "When played as such, reveal it when starting companies are determined as if it were a character." is hardly useful.

I propose the following erratum:

Playable on a company. One agent character may be played with target company at a Darkhaven [-me_dha-] or in starting company -place this card with the agent. -1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. This card may be played with a starting company in lieu of a minor item. When played as such, reveal it when starting companies are determined as if it were a character. Cannot be duplicated on a given character.

(to avoid a possible confusion when used by Fallen Wizard player, a word "minion" has been replaced by "character")
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
dirhaval

I interpret "with a character that says he cannot be in a starting company" to be that phase is literally on the character card and not in the rules pertaining to agents as a whole.

The change you suggested will avoid ambiguity and does not make the interpretation worse.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

dirhaval wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 am I interpret "with a character that says he cannot be in a starting company" to be that phase is literally on the character card and not in the rules pertaining to agents as a whole.
I interpret it in the same way (although currently there are no agents with text that says he cannot be in the starting company).
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:51 am The card does not allow to have an agent character in starting company.
This card was clarified less than a month after it was released, over 22 years ago.
Subject: [MECCG] Rules Digest 30
Date: 1998/01/13

>The minion resource Open to the Summons from the White Hand says that you
>can play an agent with the company at a Darkhaven, and that you can
>include this card in a starting company instead of a minor item. Does this
>make it possible to have an agent as a starting character?

Yes, it does.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I believe that there are rulings that say that some card allows/does not allow for something despite a text of the card.
Such rulings are wrong.

Rulings level is below rules/texts of cards level.
Rulings should be compliant with rules/texts of cards.
No ruling, even correct, should stop anyone for making an errata.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 am I believe that there are rulings that say that some card allows/does not allow for something despite a text of the card.
Such rulings are wrong.

Rulings level is below rules/texts of cards level.
Rulings should be compliant with rules/texts of cards.
No ruling, even correct, should stop anyone for making an errata.
You are misunderstanding how ICE made rulings and what those rulings did. While many rulings are simply an explanation. There are many rulings with clarifications that lack support in the rules or card text. There is no way to know which rulings changed how cards were played and which ones were just explanations unless you already understood how the card was played (though you can often tell by who made the ruling or when it was made, or by their comments). ICE did not only use errata to change how cards were played. Many clarifications also changed how cards were played. There are numerous examples. ICE only used errata to change the text of a card. ICE explicitly states that this is how their rulings work in The Companion and other publications.

So when Ichabod, Assistant MECCG Editor at ICE makes the clarification that "yes, the effects of Open to the Summons make it possible to have an agent as a starting character." He means that OttS should be played this way regardless of the fact that OttS doesn't state "such a character may also be in your starting company."
Last edited by CDavis7M on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Nice introduction to a Chaos Theory.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”