Ringlore

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
CDavis7M

Seems like no one quoted the rules. I'll admit, it is bothersome.
MELE wrote:Testing a Gold Ring – Once you have a gold ring, you can “test” it to determine what kind of special ring it is. When you test a gold ring, you must make a roll and add any applicable modification (due to the test card and other cards). The gold ring card will indicate what special rings may be played based upon the modified roll.
If the roll indicates a special ring that you have in your hand, you may replace the gold ring with that ring and discard the gold ring. Otherwise, you just discard the gold ring (i.e., it was not that special). If the roll indicates more than one special ring in your hand, you choose which to play.
Balrog wrote:Ring special items are more complicated to play than normal items. First, you must play a gold ring item at an appropriate site. Then you must have a card or effect that tests the gold ring. When you test a gold ring, make a roll. On the gold ring item will be a list of results, and what ring special items you can play. If you have one of the indicated special ring items in your hand, you may replace the gold ring item with the special ring item. In any case, discard the gold ring item when it is tested.
"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates The One Ring."
"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates a Dwarven Ring."
"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates a Magic Ring."

It's clear enough that the Special Ring Item is "played" as a result of a ring test, replacing the gold ring. Ringlore is still a test.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Is Black Rain a "test"? Is the Special Ring Item played as a result of Black Rain a result of test?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 pm Is Black Rain a "test"? Is the Special Ring Item played as a result of Black Rain a result of test?
If it isn't there it isn't there.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

It is like a speaking with a dog.
You can ask him about a name of current month.
He will not say "August", "September", "October" etc.
CDavis7M

Why are you asking me? ICE has already ruled on whether testing a ring is playing an item and whether Black Rain is a ring test.

But if you can't read Black Rain it might be hard to read the rulings.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:38 am Why are you asking me? ICE has already ruled on whether testing a ring is playing an item and whether Black Rain is a ring test.

But if you can't read Black Rain it might be hard to read the rulings.
OK. I see your point.
"Play to test a Gold Ring" is enough to treat Ringlore as a test card, so:

"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates The One Ring."
"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates a Dwarven Ring."
"Playable only with a Gold Ring and after a test indicates a Magic Ring."

applies, regardless of method which is used to obtain the result (arbitrarily chosen by player in case of Ringlore).
Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 pm It is like a speaking with a dog.
You can ask him about a name of current month.
He will not say "August", "September", "October" etc.
My apologies for my rude language.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”