Distribution of Direct Influence

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Distribution of Direct Influence

Post by the Jabberwock » Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 pm

There has been debate in numerous topics in the past over how Direct Influence bonuses were intended to work.

Namely...
Thrain II
Unique. +3 direct influence against Dwarves and Dwarf factions.
The first interpretation, which so far as I know, most players today accept, is:
This +3 bonus may be used towards Dwarf characters and/or Dwarf factions, but you may not exceed 3 at any time. (ie. You may use 2 to control a 2 mind dwarf and put the remaining 1 toward a dwarf faction influence attempt. OR You may use 3 toward a dwarf faction influence attempt but may not use any of the 3 bonus simultaneously to control a dwarf follower.)

The second interpretation is that the full +3 bonus applies both to factions and characters simultaneously. (ie. Thrain may control a 2 mind dwarf character and a 1 mind dwarf character and simultaneously receive +3 to a dwarf faction influence attempt.

I propose a vote to make an appropriate Rules Clarification:
A character whose text gives a direct influence bonus to both characters and factions must distribute the bonus to those characters and/or factions without exceeding the number given.
OR
A character whose text gives a direct influence bonus to both characters and factions may distribute the full bonus towards characters and simultaneously distribute the full bonus towards faction influence attempts.

Reference Topic: None (yet)

Theo

Re: Distribution of Direct Influence

Post by Theo » Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 am

(If the parsing trees weren't evidence enough...)
CRF wrote:Restricted direct influence is limited in its use, usually to characters and/or factions of specific races.
There would be no reason to say "and/or" if there were separate +3 bonuses for characters and for factions.
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.
Have I not earnestly studied this matter?
Look up "e.g." if e.g. you think that it is an all-encompassing list.

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Re: Distribution of Direct Influence

Post by the Jabberwock » Thu May 16, 2019 4:20 am

Point taken, but I don't think that CRF entry is enough to clearly prove the point. There could theoretically be a character who gives a bonus to "man factions" but not to "man characters." In this case, the quoted CRF could still apply using the OR clause.

Or it may have just been the way the author chose to write that ruling.

If you remove the "OR" it still leaves room for interpretation.

I will try to dig up the old topics where this was discussed, but I know it has been debated in the past without clear resolution.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”