Submission Rules - Please Read

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:43 pm
the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 pm ...
- All new topics created in this forum should be made only to recommend a rule erratum or clarification for the upcoming 2019 Annual Rules Vote (to take place in June 2019). The deadline for submissions is TBD, but will likely be sometime in March or April of 2019.
Hi Guys. Are there any updates on when the vote will happen?

How much notice will we be given?

Thanks everyone.
Per the Charter Revision that passed earlier this year, found here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 118&t=3821 the ARV must be completed by September 30th.
The ROC is currently finalizing our individual assessments of all of the submissions. Next we will compare notes and decide which submissions to accept, which to decline, and which to roll forward to 2020. After that, each member of the ROC must draft the actual voting topics assigned to him. Once drafts are in, they must be approved by the other ROC members. When that is complete, it is only a matter of creating the voting forum and topics, and at this point a date will be announced for the vote to begin. Likely with about a week or so lead time prior to the vote opening. Then each community member will have 3 weeks to cast his votes. If I had to guess, I would say the vote will run from mid-August to early September, but could be sooner or later. Before too long, I will open a Registration Topic for members to Register for the ARV. Only Registered members are allowed to view and vote in the forum while the ARV is taking place. Thanks for your patience.
CDavis7M

Many of the submissions refer to specific card text, specific rules, a Collected Rulings File (CRF), and/or certain Digests/Rulings/etc. However, it is unclear what is the basis from which we are starting this discussion. This is concerning because errata/clarifications were voted on in 2018 based on certain rulings with no clear source. Statements are just copied -- but from where?

At the very least, the Council should establish which rules, card errata, rulings, etc. are the basis for the discussion and any proposed changes. What ever it is, even if we are just going back to the originally printed rules and cards, it should be stated.

Beyond the printed rules inserts and the cards themselves, here on CouncilOfElrond.org, we only have the Spoiler list of card text (https://councilofelrond.org/rules/) and the re-written/updated rules (https://councilofelrond.org/rules/).

There is no shared CRF available here. And there are no rulings that I can find beyond these 9. Given the numbering, presumably there are more.
Attachments
digest.PNG
digest.PNG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The URD should contain citations. The archives of previous digests are at meccg.net. Various disagreements led to the need for the CoE to found its own site and forums and the refusal to let things be copied over wholesale.

Nevertheless, I agree that citing a source for a rule/ruling/card/whatever would be a good idea.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

Yes, the URD is a great resource. Thank you! It has the answers to many questions. But it's more of a summary and not a source.

If everyone is relying on MECCG, then that would be good to know. It is well preserved. But there are other archives and it is not clear where people are getting their quotes.

Also, the archive at MECCG.net ends at CoE 113. This forum has posts for CoE Digests 114-121. Is that the complete set?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I think that's the time of the split, yes.

When the current CoE members finish polishing the URD, it should qualify as a source for all sanctioned events as far as legality is concerned (see also my sig). Primary sources remain anything officially ICE, while the bulk of NetRep rulings digests qualify, in the main, as commentaries and clarifications.

What I miss, and what I wish were here, is the text of the various player's guides and companions published by ICE. In some cases, those are crucial for understanding what ICE intended for a given card as opposed to what they actually wrote on it. :) They also often tend to be the source of traditional readings not supported by card text or rules.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Hi everyone,

My apologies, but due to some ROC member complications, we are running behind the timeline for this year's ARV. We are currently working to get the vote published as soon as possible.

What I can say at this point:

- We will only be accepting 30-40 of the more than 100 submissions for this year's vote. This is due to two primary reasons:
1) Workload for the ROC.
2) We don't want to overwhelm the community with too many items to vote on. Even 30-40 items will take some time investment for our voting community to complete.

- If the vote is not completed with adequate time prior to the start of Worlds 2019, then no new errata/clarifications will be used for Worlds this year.

For the submissions which are not included on this year's vote, they will either be:
1) Automatically rolled into the 2020 ARV Submission Forum.
2) Declined for consideration at this time by the ROC with a reason given as to why.

I will say that generally speaking, the ROC is unified in forwarding the issues we feel are most important to further enjoyable game play for all and to this point... eliminating unnecessary confusion and frustrations when it comes to rules uncertainties. More on this later.

Sincere thanks to all of those who have taken the time to contribute up to this point with their own submissions and/or comments and input on other's submissions.

At Your Service,

Gavin

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”