Swag

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Swag wrote:Playable on a company at a tapped Ruins & Lairs [-me_rl-] , Border-hold [-me_bh-] , or Free-hold [-me_fh-] . During the site phase, one or two characters in that company may each tap to take control of a non-unique, non-hoard minor item of the following type: weapon, armor, shield, or helmet. You may take these items from your play deck (reshuffle if used), discard pile, and/or sideboard.
The card shares the same scheme and has the same problems as original Old Cache .

I propose the following erratum:

Playable during the site phase on a company at a tapped Ruins & Lairs [-me_rl-] , Border-hold [-me_bh-] , or Free-hold [-me_fh-] . One or two characters in that company may each tap to take control of a non-unique, non-hoard minor item of the following type: weapon, armor, shield, or helmet. You may take these items from your play deck (reshuffle if used), discard pile, and/or sideboard.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Update -- see below
Last edited by CDavis7M on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Original version does work too, albeit very differently.
(play Swag on company at X site, move company to Y site of different type and you still may have benefits of Swag)
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 am Original version does work too, albeit very differently.
(play Swag on company at X site, move company to Y site of different type and you still may have benefits of Swag)
That is a good point and that possibility seems unintended. And Old Cache now has similar CoE errata.

Update -- I agreed with the change originally. And still do. But I have new thoughts on why.

I think that swag can ONLY be played for an effect on the game if played during the site phase because it is a short event without a duration for some effect. Instead, the actions are declared immediately.

It is not possible to play Swag on a company at X site and then move to Y site. If you play Swag at X site, the action of taking control of an item will not resolve because it is not being resolved "during the site phase", which is a condition of the action. Therefore, there would be no effect if it was played earlier and Swag would be returned to your hand.
MELE Playing and Drawing Cards p. 40 wrote:Unless stated otherwise, a card is playable only if its effect applies to an existing situation, hazard, attack, etc. (i.e., you may not play a card just to discard it). A card cannot be played for no effect. A card may be played if it has a potential effect.
There is no explicit duration of the effect. Short events have effects that are implemented and then it is discarded. If there is no duration, then the effect is complete by resolution. Swag does not create a triggerable action as a result of a passive condition. Therefore, you can't play it earlier and use it later.
MELE - Playing and Drawing Cards - Events p. 40 wrote:Short-event -- A short-event's effects are implemented; then, it is
discarded. The effects of some short-events last for a specific period as stated on its card (e.g., some say : "until the end of the turn").
Because ALL of the actions of Swag have the condition of "during the site phase" then Swag essentially is only playable (for effet) during the site phase. Therefore, why not make this a playability condition as proposed as it is more clear and actually has no impact on how the card may be played.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”