Skill Cards

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Rulings by Term, Skill Cards wrote:"(Foo) only" cards can only be played by characters with the (foo) skill.
Literally this means among others that a cards with Wizard only keyword can only be played by characters with the Wizard skill. Currently there are no such characters (nor skill).

I propose the following erratum:
Providing that "Foo" is a name of skill, "(Foo) only" cards can only be played by characters with the (foo) skill.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

Given that, as you quote, this entry is listed under the "Skill Cards" section of the CRF rules, I don't think there should be any ambiguity about it applying to "Wizard only" cards. For an equivalent example: we don't interpret the "You may discard one card." rule from the End-of-Turn Phase to apply any time we want it to.

That said, there is a notable lack of rules for non-skill requirement instantiation, for race, type, and other keywords like magics and sorcery. The rulemakers may have relied a bit heavily on implicit parallels.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Enumerating an activities that may be taken in given phase does not allow (does not forbid too) to take the activities outside the given phase.
"(Foo) only" cards can only be played by characters with the (foo) skill.
is expressed in context of Skill Cards, but includes an incorrect reference to a cards that do not belong to "Skill Cards" group.

If a word "rectangle" appears in context of talk about squares, it does not automatically mean that the word only matches "a rectangle that is a square".
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

What's even worse is that "skill cards" are never actually defined in the rules, unless it's the "card requiring skill" phrase in the strike sequence rules.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Not all "skill cards", or "cards requiring skill" (I believe that this is the same category) are enacted by a character with appropriate skill.

I propose the following erratum:
Providing that "Foo" is a name of skill, "(Foo) only" cards can only be played if there is available (under conditions described "(Foo) only" card) a character with (foo) skill.
rezwits
Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 pm What's even worse is that "skill cards" are never actually defined in the rules, unless it's the "card requiring skill" phrase in the strike sequence rules.
This kinda (or kind of) explains what card types there are:

[Page 14 – METW, rulebook]
Clarification: Several types of cards are referred to by the key word included in the first few words of a card’s text. For example, the text of a “spell” card starts with spell; the text of a “Nazgûl” card starts with Unique. Nazgûl; the text of a “Palantír” starts with Unique. Palantír.
Extrapolation:

a Ranger only card is a Ranger card.
a Sage only, is a Sage card.
etc...
You could then expand this and say any cards requiring the use of the following five skills: warrior, scout, ranger, sage, and diplomat, are considered Skill cards.

Where as a Spell card is NOT a Magic card.

So even if they didn't include the keyword:

Magic. Shadow-magic, and just put Shadow-magic.
Magic. Spirit-magic, and just put Spirit-magic.
Magic. Sorcery, and just put Sorcery.

We may be fine, but there could have probably been a controversy of wether those are Spells or Spell cards.
So they put Magic.

I think if they would have put:

Skill card. Ranger only.
Skill card. Sage only.

That would be a... IDK

But I am absolutly fine with:

Ranger only.
Sage only.
etc

As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 pmExtrapolation
And in this word lies most of the problems that exist in understanding the rules. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

What section of the CRF were you reading again?

Oh yeah, the section on skill cards.

There is no need to copy the section title into each of the statements made in that particular section, as proposed.

--------
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am
CRF, Rulings by Term, Skill Cards wrote:"(Foo) only" cards can only be played by characters with the (foo) skill.
Literally this means among others that a cards with Wizard only keyword can only be played by characters with the Wizard skill. Currently there are no such characters (nor skill).
Again, this proposal misunderstanding how the CRF works and fails to recognize that "The Turn Sequence and Rulings by Term sections are specifically considered clarifications to the rules, and are therefore overridden by card text that specifically does so."

This CRF entry clearly does not apply to cards that state "Wizard only."

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”