Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent wrote:Playable on a stored item. Return item to opponent's hand (discard all attached cards). Place this card in opponent's marshalling point pile. Though it had been made in Imladris for Valandil, it was neither so ancient nor so potent as the one lost with King Isildur at the Gladden Fields.-Kuduk Lore
Text of the card is unclear. Nothing stops a player from playing it on its own item. In multiplayer game it is unclear in whose marshalling point pile the card should be placed and to hand of which of opponents the item should be returned (even if the card is played on opponent's stored item). If target item is an opponent's item it presumably is returned to its owner hand and the card is placed in owner's marshalling point pile, but it is only guaranteed in two-player game (i.e. other possibilities do not exist), but text of Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent does not indicate so.

I propose the following erratum:

"Playable on an opponent's stored item. Return item to the opponent's hand (discard all attached cards). Place this card in the opponent's marshalling point pile. Though it had been made in Imladris for Valandil, it was neither so ancient nor so potent as the one lost with King Isildur at the Gladden Fields.-Kuduk Lore"
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

I agree with the reasoning but I don't think it's necessary as "opponent" is the person the hazards are being played on. I don't think anyone would argue that an item in opponent Alice's MP pile could be returned to opponent Bob's hand.
CDavis7M

MELE p.11 wrote:Note: Because hazard cards are distinct from resource cards, you may not play your hazards on your side of the playing surface. At the end of a game it will be obvious whose cards are whose, i.e., hazards in your area must belong to your opponent.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Technically Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent can be played on stored item, not on side.
Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent, by its text, targets what otherwise cannot be targeted according to general rules.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

It does not overcome the general rule. Same thing for Adunaphel.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”