Liquid Fire

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Card text reads
... Discard to cause all strikes from all attacks of a non-Dragon, non-Nazgûl, non-Balrog creature keyed to a site to fail (resulting body-checks for the creature are modified by -2).
I suggest the following erratum:
... (resulting body-checks for the creature are modified by +2)

Reasoning: Blasting Fire is a similar card that modifies the body-check by +2, instead. I propose Blasting Fire and Liquid Fire should be equal in terms of the modification. Thematically, a modification by a negative factor doesn't make sense to me, either.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Blasting Fire modifies an influence attempts against a factions at the site this turn by +2.

Maybe an intention was to make the Liquid Fire not so powerful (who knows?).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

ugh, right, thank you for the correction!

I'd maintain the proposal, nevertheless.
dirhaval

I like the consideration for the over-power of having +2 to body checks with all strikes failing. The item can be played at Shadow-holds or Dark-holds and for one MP. I would say that the logic is the target decides to forgo attacking, fail all strikes, to parry or shield from the liquid fire and thus add more protection from death. Deadly Dart is no MP, 2 CP, and in a way "defeats" one strike, but with limits, along with -1 to body. Yes, it is a table card, but not like Liquid fire. Blasting Fire cancels all automatic-attacks, yes no MP but you can later gain many MPs during the site phase.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I agree with Dirhaval; one of the strengths of the Maia creatures is their number of strikes as compensation for their lower prowess -- it's easier to defeat a Maia strike, but harder to defeat the bcs. Liquid Fire does not have enough of Sacrifice of Form's drawbacks to merit a similar level of bc altering. I believe the card is balanced the way it is.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

Bandobras Took wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm I agree with Dirhaval; one of the strengths of the Maia creatures is their number of strikes as compensation for their lower prowess -- it's easier to defeat a Maia strike, but harder to defeat the bcs. Liquid Fire does not have enough of Sacrifice of Form's drawbacks to merit a similar level of bc altering. I believe the card is balanced the way it is.
I agree with both. I am opposed to the proposal.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”