Bow of Alatar

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Theo

Re: Bow of Alatar

Post by Theo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:23 pm

That is not what reassigning means. It is meaningless without an initial assignment of strikes.

(edited previous post to add final point)
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.
One family of busy dwarves with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make---or one online community. Cautious skill!

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Post by Konrad Klar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Theo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:23 pm
That is not what reassigning means. It is meaningless without an initial assignment of strikes.
Right.
Theo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:09 pm
Alatar does not reassign strikes, since his ability can only be triggered before strikes are initially assigned.
Anyway Alatar is listed as the card which reassigns strikes.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Theo

Post by Theo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm

As he could have were it not for the CRF entry which requires that he face a strike first.
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.
One family of busy dwarves with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make---or one online community. Cautious skill!

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Post by Konrad Klar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm

If they did not mean by "reassigning" strikes a changing an order of assigning strikes, then a changing an order of assigning strikes is not covered by rules at all.
Right?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 am

My own opinion is that ICE never meant for any card or effect to change who actually faces a strike after the strike assignment portion of resolving an attack was complete. All such cards work perfectly fine if you have to sort out any special restrictions or abilities on who faces strikes before moving on to any character's strike sequence.

But I can absolutely see how it can be read the other way. It might just have to come down to what the voters think will make for a better gameplay experience going forward. It's not like we can go back and ask ICE for clarification now. :?

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 am

I remember having a lengthy debate about Bow of Alatar when it came up for the first time in our playgroup last year.

While I disagree with Moriquendi's interpretation of how this card was meant to be used, I do agree it is a very worthwhile issue to get sorted out with an official clarification.

rezwits
Council Member

Post by rezwits » Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 am

Konrad Klar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 am
I agree with Zakath.
Text of Bow of Alatar may be not super clear, but it contains everything what is required to interpret it, and does not contain errors.
As such it requires only clarification.
"May only by tapped for its effect before a strikes are assigned."
I agree with Konrad.

The usage of the Bow of Alatar, is similar to his innate ability, to face a strike.

But IMHO, this card strictly has usage for Alatar to go up to a sweet spot, and hit the pipe, (i.e. Tapping to sideboard, every turn). Then while sideboarding EVERY turn (tapped) he still gets to take a "pot shot!"

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not Skin-changer, it's not Usriev of Treachery, etc
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”