Tempest of Fire

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Tempest of Fire wrote:Balrog specific. Playable during the site phase on an untapped Border-hold [-me_bh-] or Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] ; the site cannot be an Under-deeps site or a surface site thereof. Tap the site. The company faces three attacks (Men at a Border-hold [-me_bh-] , Orcs at a Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] -5 strikes with 8 prowess, 4 strikes with 9 prowess, 3 strikes with 10 prowess). Following these attacks: discard this card or tap a character, place this card in your marshalling point pile, and return each unique faction playable at the site to its owner's hand.
The card has the same problems as:
People Diminished

I propose the following erratum:

"Balrog specific. Playable during the site phase on an untapped Border-hold [-me_bh-] or Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] if you have a company here; the site cannot be an Under-deeps site or a surface site thereof. Tap the site. The company faces three attacks (Men at a Border-hold [-me_bh-] , Orcs at a Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] -5 strikes with 8 prowess, 4 strikes with 9 prowess, 3 strikes with 10 prowess). Following these attacks: discard this card or tap a character in the company, place this card in your marshalling point pile, and return each unique faction playable at the site to its owner's hand."
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Just as with People Diminished, the proposal misunderstands how the Site Phase works. I find it very unlikely that anyone else actually takes the interpretation presented in the proposal.
SitePhase.png
----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 am
the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 am RE: People Diminished / Tempest of Fire .... when would you not have a company present during the site phase if the associated site was in play? If some other effect is preventing such a site from being discarded?
Yes.
...There are no effects that would allow the Balrog to have an untapped site remain in play such that People Diminished could be played on it. Furthermore, site cards do not have site phases on their own. Only companies have site phases. People Diminished, Tempest of Fire, and other site-phase resources are played at Step (3) of the Site Phase for a particular company at a particular site. The brevity of such site-phase resources does not override the general workings of the Site Phase.

People Diminished, Tempest of Fire, and other site-phase resources are only playable during Step (3) on the site that a company entered at Step (1).

----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 am Besides, even if you have a company here, original text does not precise that the company faces attacks.
Wrong. These cards are specifically playable during the site phase -- some specific company's site phase. "The company" that faces the attacks in People Diminished is necessarily the company that is taking Step (3) of their site phase during which this case is played. Again, the brevity of the card does not override how the site phase works.

----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:36 pm Currently the text of the card allows to tap after attacks any untapped character (at least any untapped character under control of player).
This resource is being played by a company during the company's site phase. That the card text merely states "tap a character" is not strong enough to overcome the presumption that the character tapping to successfully play a site-phase resource during a company's site phase must be in that company. This is clear because some other character in another company cannot play a site-phase resource during some other company's site-phase because they have not entered that site.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”