WITHDRAWN - Duration of Short Events

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I propose the following Rules Clarification:
If a short event does not stipulate a duration for its effect, the effect will last until the end of the current turn.
This clarification would make the following submission unnecessary - Master of Wood, Water, or Hill https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3671

A couple examples which would be affected by this Clarification:
- Master of Wood, Water or Hill
- Come By Night Upon Them

Further supported by NetRep Rulings in the past, Digests 31 and 118.
Theo

I think this needs further qualification. Something like "and if the effect would be meaningless without a duration". Otherwise you end up with debates about Bridge giving infinite M/H phases, or Horns, Horns, Horns played during an Organization phase (say to let the player draw those factions during their M/H phases) still shuffling factions whose attempts fail later in that turn's site phase, etc, etc.

Horses is a good example. The first ability CAN be meaningfully implemented immediately without duration (so shouldn't apply if the company takes additional M/H phases), but the second ability "any" is meaningless if it were to only be implemented immediately (affecting at most one hazard creature).
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Good point. I will have to give this language some additional thought. If anyone else has language to propose, please feel free. :)

If air tight language can't be formulated, perhaps it will be best to revert back to making card erratum on an individual basis. A general Rules Clarification would certainly be most efficient though.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It may have to be individual events. I can't think of a general rule that won't require a lot of qualifications to individual events anyway.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

I'm more in favor of clarifying these problem cards individually.

Say a future player has a question about "master of wood water and hill." Looking through the URD are they going to flip to short events?

In addition to clarifying each card, this might be a better general statement:
If a short event does not stipulate a duration for its effect, the effect will last at most until the end of the current turn.
That is, the effect might happen and then end (e.g., horns horns horns).
Sam.Gamdschie

CDavis7M wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm I'm more in favor of clarifying these problem cards individually.
I support this view: many Short Events are precise in their duration (either due to ist effect or its text), so we should fix (erratum) or clarify those cards (like those mentioned here in the thread) on an individual basis. Although I like the idea of heavy strong and clear general rules, but in MECCG we never had such situation...
Co-founder of the Hamburg Scenarios and Former Slave of Lure's Price Ceremonies
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thanks for the input guys! I am withdrawing this submission.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DECLINED due to author withdrawing submission.

(Note: I am locking this topic at this time for record-keeping purposes)

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”