In-game: card manipulation

Discussion of the web-based platform for MECCG.

Moderator: rezwits

Theo

Neat stuff, rezwits!

Would it be possible to instead use the arrow keys (or something) for card manipulation? Right now I have to click and drag seven other cards in my hand to itself if I want a newly drawn card to be on the other side of my hand. O_o Similar shortcuts for moving cards between/along columns would be a nice quality of life.

Some other things I noticed from trying my first game setup:
Most non-character/non-item cards in one click drop onto the board, which is maybe too easy to do accidentally while I'm moving those seven cards in my hand?
I can't figure out how to assign Fellowship to a company.
Clicking on organize again while currently organizing a card seems to create a queue of organizing windows, each of which spams the chat dialog when I select something, but only the first one resolving actually moves the card.
I want my cards to tap in the other direction. :P Maybe a Settings option?
Last edited by Theo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
rezwits
Council Member

Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am Neat stuff, rezwits!

Would it be possible to instead use the arrow keys (or something) for card manipulation? Right now I have to click and drag seven other cards in my hand to itself if I want a newly drawn card to be on the other side of my hand. O_o Similar shortcuts for moving cards between/along columns would be a nice quality of life.
Currently I am on "TAKE a BREAK MODE, I busted butt for a year and I need some Beer and time off, haha :P . But what I could do, and will add this to the list is, make a simple command like /reorder 53216748, and that would take a hand up to 9 cards and let you reorder them to that order. It's just too much to mess with things right now because they are stable (i.e. the dragging and tapping etc).
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am Some other things I noticed from trying my first game setup:
Most non-character/non-item cards in one click drop onto the board, which is maybe too easy to do accidentally while I'm moving those seven cards in my hand?
This definitely is just something that takes time getting used to, learning that if you click and don't at least give "tug" and drag, then it's gonna hit the board. Double clicking would be tragic too, because getting the cards just to react on a single click is sometimes hard enough. But hopefully with the /reorder command that could help out here.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am I can't figure out how to assign Fellowship to a company.
This can be solved with the /host command, then clicking a "LEAD" character, and then the Fellowship, but I will add this to IMPLEMENT section ;)
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am Clicking on organize for while currently organizing a card seems to create a queue of organizing windows, each of which spams the chat dialog when I select something, but only the first one resolving actually moves the card.
This one I am not sure what you mean, by this one.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am I want my cards to tap in the other direction. :P Maybe a Settings option?
The last one is an absolute HELL NO haha no but serious, out of the 9 months out of 12. 4 of the 9 months were spent on CSS CODE and organizing the tapping of the cards and the direction and this was THE worst part of the project, I hope I don't mean to sound like a whiner but this is just never going to happen. I mean maybe in like 3-4 years? if that ever happens? and it won't. I can't STAND CSS coding, because it's logic is built on spacing the code, etc and it's is my most HATED and dreaded to do. CAN'T stand it. I usually do iPhone and iPad and Mac programming, and it's mainly 90% graphically driven coding, you move buttons around and have packages of graphics, CSS?!? no you have to manually CODE where stuff goes? UGH sorry, no dice. I mean if I was getting paid to work on this as a job then I could afford to spend the month re-doing that. :P I'll stop...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Theo

rezwits wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 am
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am I can't figure out how to assign Fellowship to a company.
This can be solved with the /host command, then clicking a "LEAD" character, and then the Fellowship, but I will add this to IMPLEMENT section ;)
Ah, of course. I figured I was forgetting something. But dang! looks like you already added something to the code that does it from clicking.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am Clicking on organize again while currently organizing a card seems to create a queue of organizing windows, each of which spams the chat dialog when I select something, but only the first one resolving actually moves the card.
This one I am not sure what you mean, by this one.
Fixed typo. But the idea is: click on a character card, click organize, do NOT choose a party column immediately but instead click on character again, click organize. Now pick a party column... the card moves. But behold I still need to pick a party column again, say you pick a different one. The card doesn't move this second time (which is reasonable given my stupidity of clicking organize so many times), BUT the chat is erroneously informed that the character was moved.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 am I want my cards to tap in the other direction. :P Maybe a Settings option?
The last one is an absolute HELL NO haha no but serious, out of the 9 months out of 12. 4 of the 9 months were spent on CSS CODE and organizing the tapping of the cards and the direction and this was THE worst part of the project, I hope I don't mean to sound like a whiner but this is just never going to happen. I mean maybe in like 3-4 years? if that ever happens? and it won't. I can't STAND CSS coding, because it's logic is built on spacing the code, etc and it's is my most HATED and dreaded to do. CAN'T stand it. I usually do iPhone and iPad and Mac programming, and it's mainly 90% graphically driven coding, you move buttons around and have packages of graphics, CSS?!? no you have to manually CODE where stuff goes? UGH sorry, no dice. I mean if I was getting paid to work on this as a job then I could afford to spend the month re-doing that. :P I'll stop...
Haha, break deserved. I am not familiar with this CSS. I was hoping it could be an easy directional toggle, but maybe I'll take a peak at the source sometime to see. I'm more used to coding than graphical programming, at least. :|
rezwits
Council Member

Theo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 pm Fixed typo. But the idea is: click on a character card, click organize, do NOT choose a party column immediately but instead click on character again, click organize. Now pick a party column... the card moves. But behold I still need to pick a party column again, say you pick a different one. The card doesn't move this second time (which is reasonable given my stupidity of clicking organize so many times), BUT the chat is erroneously informed that the character was moved.
Hey Theo, check this out tho, if you click on a Character, and there is another one out in the field, the "New Party" menu, while clicking IN-HAND, should give you the option of say, Locale 1, or New Party, in which you could click Locale 1, and then he would get put in as a follower to the Character at Locale 1? No need to click New Party, then click organize on the Character and click Locale 1.

I think that's what you are saying right? But you are saying mainly that the Log window gets jammed up with messages...
Theo

Yes, the chat window has lots of messages, but my point is that some of those messages aren't true. If the last message says a character was moved party 1 but they are still in party 2, it undermines my faith in the system. The only way I know my opponent hasn't looked through his deck and chosen the perfect starting hand is from these messages, but if I can't trust them... ok, extreme example, but hopefully clearer.
rezwits
Council Member

oh yeah I get you, there is some "house keeping" that has to be done for sure with the Log window gotcha. I will be going thru and getting more of that done. But if you are getting messages where, you:

Click a Character
then hit the menu "Tap"

and he DOESN'T TAP?

Thats a problem.

Which can only mean two things:

An older version of a Web Browser,
or you haven't Force Reloaded, to get the latest "code" (to play with)

Because when you click Tap, or Wound or whichever, it SHOULD NOT put "so and so Taps Beorn" and then it NOT tap Beorn.

Let me know please if this is actually the case, IF you upgrade to the latest web browser(s), and force reload, or at the extreme empty the cache for the site.

If you are using Internet Explorer and NOT Edge, you will definitely get this problem, if you are using Windows 7 and NOT Chrome, you will definitely get where you tap the guys and they don't Tap.

If you don't feel like updating that's cool but could you at least tell me which version of which Browser & OS you are using?

Thanks!!

Return to “Cardnum”