Caching of card images?

Discussion of the web-based platform for MECCG.

Moderator: rezwits

davidk64

Does the site download card images from the server every session? I tried to have a session with Bergil on my PC using mobile phone via usb cable for Internet. It was very laggy and connection to server dropped out heaps. Just wondered if there is a way of only ever downloading a card once.
rezwits
Council Member

yes you can spend time, selecting each set in the cardbrowser,

and load them into your cache,
if you're not worried about NEW DC card updates,
don't worry too much about the images changing and needing to empty cache.

so yes you can what I call "massage them in" you have to view them in the card browser,
i.e. goto an Expansion and scroll down to the bottom till each Expansion loads.

Then you're good...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
davidk64

Well I discovered I could make a second shortcut to Google Chrome and add this to end of the target field in shortcut properties: --disk-cache-dir="D:\Cardnum"

As long as I only have the one instance of Google Chrome running started from my Cardnum shortcut the card images will be maintained separately from other general browsing cache contents. So I can go ahead and clear the default cache without losing the Cardnum images.

But strangely everytime I start a new browser session it takes ages for even the first "Chat" page to load, same when I go to the "Cards" page. By ages I mean several minutes which is weird especially for the Cards page since they are all stored locally on my machine.

How do other people find the initial load time when starting a new browser session? Also has anybody used the site from Australia recently and can comment on what the server response times are like? The site looks great but current response times make it unusable for me.
Theo

My experience has also been that for some reason caching does nothing for new sessions.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

I always leave it open đź‘Ť
Theo

If I leave mine open, the chat does not update. It might update with some new messages, but I could be missing many in between.
CDavis7M

I get that glitch on mobile (Android) but not on desktop (Chrome).
davidk64

Well I've had a couple of sessions with Nickolai which went well and visited the site plenty more times via new browser sessions. I've found that sometimes the chat and card tabs load straightaway and other times take minutes or longer. My naive conclusion is that when I start a new session and navigate to the site some sort of handshaking has to happen first before the cards get displayed or latest chat gets displayed. That is it's not a question of waiting for content to download more of getting connected to the server. Other than that my mornings are often much better than evenings (GMT +10) Anyway when it's working it's excellent and I'm glad this alternative way of playing has been developed which is much easier to get started with, for me anyways.

Many thanks to all involved in getting it this far.
Theo

CDavis7M wrote: ↑Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 am I get that glitch on mobile (Android) but not on desktop (Chrome).
Hrmm. It happens to me with desktop Chrome and Firefox. My aging eyes scream at the very notion of trying to use cardnum on a mobile device.

Return to “Cardnum”