Virtual cards suggested that might are worth adding.

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

The Great Goblin
Creature or Permanent Event.
MP: 2
P/B: 12/7
1 strike.
Unique
As a creature, playable keyed to High Pass, Goblin-Gate or The Under-grottos.
As a permanent event, all non-automatic Orc attacks of normally more than one strike receives +2 prowess. He may opt to attack from a permanent-event state and receive this bonus, but his attack counts as one against the hazard limit. Also, any company moving through High Pass, or using starter movement from Rivendell to Lorien faces one attack: Orcs, 2 strikes with 8 prowess. If Doors of Night in play, this attack also affects Anduin Vales and Rhudaur. Discard when The Great Goblin attacks.

MAybe too long a text though....

Trouble on All Borders
Hazard permanent event

All non-unique men, dunadan, elf or dwarf creature which can only be keyed to regions by name can be keyed to all adjacent regions. Additionally they attack normally versus covert companies and get -1 prowles if they attack in an adjacent region or +1 prowles if they attack in an region listed on their card.
Discard this card if any attack of one of this creatures fails.

Balance between powers.
Hazard Permanent Event.

Environment. Gates of Morning, Doors of Night, and Skies of Fire are all considered to be in play while this card is in play.

Galdor
Mind: 5
Direct influence: 2
Range/Diplomat Elf
Uniqu.
+1 Direct influence against Elves.
If Galdor is one of your starting characters, your company may start at the grey havens.
Homesite: Grey Havens
P/B: 4/9

Not sure about him, might turn ship decks into something too good.

Come At Need
Hazard Long-Event
If a companion controlling an ally faces an attack, at least one ally that companion controls must tap to support the companion.

Long event or permanent event?
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The Great Goblin would need Minions Stir in order to receive his own bonus. I agree that it is wordy. I would also add that there quite a few prowess enhancers for creatures generally and some for Orcs specifically.

For a permanent event ability, how about "As a permanent event, The Great Goblin may modify any one orc attack: each successful strike takes the defending character prisoner at a Shadow-Hold or Dark-Hold. The Rescue Attack will be this creature's card as though played from your hand."

Thematic, but might invalidate Waylaid, Wounded, and Orc-dragged. Of course, that card was invalid anyway -- only works against Hobbits? I'm just not sure that adding yet another Prowess bonus to Orcs is the way to go.

Regarding Galdor, there's nothing starting at the Grey Havens will do for you that starting at Rivendell won't do for you, is there? Also, would this allow FW companies to start at the Grey Havens? Might need a little more thought -- actual use on the Hero side, and possible balance problems on the FW side.

Since I suggested that version of Balance Between Powers, I'm all for it. :)
Nerdmeetsyou

maybe there should be added some discard effekt for the balance between powers...
I don't know which... but there should be one I think...

this would just make the card a much more stronger doors of night... because you cannot cancel it with twilight....
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Why can't you cancel it with Twilight?
Twilight wrote:Environment. One environment card (in play or declared earlier in the same chain of effects) is canceled and discarded. Twilight may also be played as a resource, and may be played at any point during any player's turn.
Jambo

Ringbearer - for the Great Goblin, which I'd really like to see virtualised, how about:

The Great Goblin
Creature or Permanent Event.
MP: 2
P/B: 12/7
1 strike.
Unique
As a creature, playable keyed to High Pass, Goblin-Gate or The Under-grottos.
As a permanent event, all non-automatic, Orc attacks of normally more than one strike receives +2 prowess. He may opt to attack from a permanent-event, counting one against the hazard limit, and receive +2 prowess. Also, any company moving through High Pass, or using starter movement from Rivendell to Lorien faces one attack: Orcs, 2 strikes with 8 prowess. If Doors of Night in play, this attack also affects Anduin Vales and Rhudaur. Discard after The Great Goblin attacks.

This wording will help remove any conflict that could arise between the first effect and the effect of the Great Goblin attacking from a permanent event, which normally does not have more than 1 strike.
Jambo

In addition to Ringbearer's Great Goblin, I'd also like to see virtualised:

[v] Hobbit-lore
Short-event
Playable on a company at a site that contains at least one Hobbit or Gandalf. If played on a company containing a Hobbit and Gandalf is not already in play, Gandalf may be brought into play from your hand at the same site. If played on a company that contains Gandalf, one Hobbit character may be brought into play from your hand under General or Direct Influence at the same site. This does not count against the one character per turn limit.
A Wizard is never late; he arrives precisely when he means to.

[v] Words of Power and Terror
Hazard short-event
Targets and cancels any effect (declared earlier in the same chain of effects) that would cancel an attack or strike from a Nazgul.
Alternatively, gives -1/-1 prowess/body to character(s) targeted by a strike from a Nazgul attack (must be played before its strikes are assigned) for each Words of Power and Terror card played on the attack. When played from [V] The Nazgul are Abroad, this card may only be played for the reduction to prowess/body.

As to other potentials -

[v] Balance Between Powers is definitely an interesting card. Should it be a resource though? i.e. how would it fit in with the original version since neither are "unique" or "cannot be duplicated"? Can a resource and a hazard have the same title?

[v] In Darkness Bind Them
Permanent-event
Unique. Playable if Doors of Night is in play on Will of Sauron or a non-environment hazard long-event (except The Balance of Things) in play. The first attempt to cancel or discard the targeted hazard event discards this card instead.

Any thoughts on that? It could revitalise so many hazard strategies that are so often simply destroyed by one VoM or MT!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

marcos had a rather good suggestion of making the Virtual Balance Between Powers a Resource playable by either Minion or Hero that can also be played as a hazard.
Jambo

Yes I noticed that Ben. Seemed like a good solution too. I'm hoping to get Marcos added to this forum (I don't think he's able to access it yet).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I like that version of the Great Goblin. A little Shelob for the High Pass. :)
marcos
Council Member

hey guys! i'm here! hope to be helpful!!!
marcos
Council Member

these are my suggested cards so far:

Nature's revenge V:
short event
Look in your discard pile for an Awakened plant creature and put it into your hand, this creature must be keyable to current company's site path. Alternatively, look in your discard pile and shuffle an awekened plant creature into your play deck.
Additionaly, all awakened plant attacks keyed to heart of mirkwood, woodland realm, southern mirkwood, western mirkwood or by by type or name to a [-me_wi-] attacks normally not as detainment for the rest of the turn

Darkness under tree V:
Long event
All awakened plant recive +2 prowess and 1 extra attack. All attacks from any awakened plant with 13 or less prowess and no body receive +4 body. Cannot be duplicated

Radagast the tamer V:
MP: 6*
P/B: 13/9
Creature or Permanent-event
Playable: Free-domain/ Free-hold
Unique. Maia. Manifestation of Radagast. Two strikes. Detainment and -3 prowess against hero companies. Discard this card if Radagast comes into play. As a creature, may also be played keyed to Southern Mirkwood, Western Mirkwood, Woodland Realm, Heart of Mirkwood, or Rhosgobel. As a permanent-event, each player at the end of each turn may bring one awakened plant, animal or wolf creature from his discard pile to his hand. Discard when any play deck is exhausted.

Pirates V:
creature
MP:1
P/B: 10/-
1 strike.
[W,W][C]
May also be played on a ruins and lairs or shadow hold keyed on a coastal sea or a region adjacent to a coastal sea. Unless the attack isnt cancelled, all man attack against the company for the rest of the turn receives +1 prowess +1 strike.

and some versions of joe's in the name of mordor:
In the Name of Mordor (V):
Short-event. Playable if They Ride Together is on table and you have at least 2 RW followers in play. All Nazgul permanent-events on table are discarded.

In the Name of Mordor (V):
Short-event. Playable if They Ride Together is on table. Tap all untapped RW and RW followers. If you tapped at least 1 RW, all Nazgul permanent-events on table are discarded.

I also like the following ones suggested by all of you:
great goblin
balance between powers
Words of Power and Terror
In Darkness Bind Them

hobbit lore V looks a bit overpowered in Fallen gandalf decks, it looks like a we have come to kill for hobbits/gandalf since gandalf can recycle it with grey hat...

i think galdor might need some playtesting in order to check if he is overpowered indeed or not, but he and come at need looks ok too...
Last edited by marcos on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcos
Council Member

talking with b_took at gccg, he said that pirates might be too strong, so we came up with this new version:

Pirates V:
creature
P/B: 11/-
1 strike.
[W,W][C]
May also be played on a ruins and lairs or shadow hold on a coastal sea or a region adjacent to a coastal sea. Unless the attack isnt cancelled, all other Pirates attack against the company for the rest of the turn receives +1 prowess +1 strike.

also we thought that just for text simplicity we need to make the body moddifier for darkness under tree general to all plant attacks, so:

Darkness under tree V:
Long event
All awakened plant recive +2 prowess and 1 extra attack. All attacks from any awakened plant with no body receive +4 body. Cannot be duplicated
Jambo

The Awakened Plant card is nice. Should it be a Long-event or a Permanent-event which is discarded when such an attack is defeated?

I'm not overly gone on the new pirates, since the nice theme of the original pirates was the potential to steal items. That's not to say the two versions couldn't be combined in a deck of course, but with only 3 copies allowed, it's not really opening up a grand new strategy as such.
marcos
Council Member

permanent event wich is descarded after an attack is discarded will cause the card to be discarded after a first attack at +2 prowess. Since the card adds 1 attack not 1 strike making it discard when the attack is defeated won't have much sense... I prefer to make it a long event

any suggestions on pirates? what do you think if i add the same sentence than normal pirates "If any strike of Pirates wounds a character, the company must immediately discard one item (of defender's choice)"

what about:

Pirates V:
creature
P/B: 11/-
1 strike.
[W,W][C]
May also be played on a ruins and lairs or shadow hold on a coastal sea or a region adjacent to a coastal sea. Unless the attack isnt cancelled, all other Pirates attack against the company for the rest of the turn receives +1 prowess +1 strike. If any strike of Pirates wounds a character, the company must immediately discard one item (of defender's choice). No more than one item can be discarded in this way.

any thoughts?
marcos
Council Member

I got this 2 suggestions from Agus:

Shadowfax.
Ranger Ally. Unique. Playable at any tapped or untapped non-Haven site in Rohan, and only by Gandalf. Tap to cancel a strike (not from an automatic-attack) against its bearer or itself.

Horn of Anor.
Minor Item. May only be borne by Boromir. May not be duplicated. You may tap this item if Boromir's company faces an attack, before strikes are assigned, to take Risky Blow, No Waiting to Wonder, or Many Foes He Fought from your discard pile to your hand. Boromir makes a corruption check modified by -2 after the attack is resolved.

IMHO, shadowfax is just awesome, i love it. It helps gandalf against rivers or to prevent some strike, it is a very good propposition...
I don't know about horn of anor... It is true that the cc will be at 4 (1 from boromir 1 from horn and 2 from the ability) so it's a bit risky, but take risky blow on each attack seems a bit too powerful.

What do you guys think?

Return to “Development”