Final two Awakened Plant cards:

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
marcos
Council Member

Jambo wrote:This might be better:

Choking Shadows
Permanent-event
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant and whose company is moving to a Border-hold [Bh], Ruins & Lairs [Rl], or Shadow-hold [Sh]. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike fails, discard this card. Otherwise place creature's card with Choking Shadows - creature is considered off to the side. The target character may not move to another site and his company faces an attack from the creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase. Discard associated creature's card if Choking Shadows is discarded. Discard Choking Shadows if any strike fails. Cannot be duplicated on a character.

Now there should be no attacks at inappropriate sites. Attacks would occur regardless of keyability. There is of course another possibility, which would relieve the problem of keying to inapproriate sites, and indeed keying to the many sites where the APs are not normally playable:

Choking Shadows
Short-event
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant creature. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike is successful, the target character faces further attacks from the creature until either a strike fails or the target character is eliminated. Discard the creature if a strike fails and the creature is not eliminated, or when the target character is eliminated. Cannot be duplicated on a character.

Less roadblocky and more thematic to the effect we're (or I'm ;)) trying to create.
i liked the first version better:
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike fails, discard this card. Otherwise place creature's card with Choking Shadows - creature is considered off to the side. The target character may not move to another site and the target character's company faces an attack from the creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase. Discard associated creature's card if Choking Shadows is discarded. Discard Choking Shadows if a strike fails. Cannot be duplicated on a character.

just wanted to know what happen with the creature and an attack that cannot be keyed to the related site...

Jambo wrote:Darkness Under Tree
Permanent-event
All Awakened Plant attacks are doubled. One character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Any Awakened Plant creature can be played against a company that has defeated an Awakened Plant creature during its current movement/hazard phase. Cannot be duplicated.

Correct for creature.
that is ok
Jambo wrote:Regarding this:
In addition, any Awakened Plant may be played keyed to a site or region where Blackbole or an ally playable at Wellinghall is present, unless any of those allies are in the resource player’s company.

What would happen if this card is in play and one were to key an AP to Old Forest when Treebeard was there. Normally this wouldn't cause a problem, but with this card... would it no longer be possible? Would having any Ent or Blackbole in a company make it invulnerable to APs when this card is in play?
exactly, not possible, it has thematic... you imagine an ent attacking another ent?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Less roadblocky and more thematic to the effect we're (or I'm ) trying to create.
Why more thematic? I thought it was about the forest on your doorstep? I really liked the roadblock stuff :cry: , without it it doesn't make much sense to me, now it's more of a duelling card.
I don't understand the problem, since character can't move if Waiting Shadow is on him, it's not unapropriate for him to face an attack at that site, right? And there can be found ways around the normal keyability, something simple like
"target character's company faces an attack by target creature at the beginning of each organisation fase. Creature is not considered keyed to anything. If all of the strikes fail, discard this card."
Seems perfectly okay to me, character has to stay put, but his friends can decide to stay too and help fight the beast, e.g. if the booster is in play. Face attack(s) at beginning of org. fase, so he can untap, but he can still decide to move if he gets rid of it...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

The first version can have ents at Dark-holds, Free-holds and at sites in Coastal Sea regions?! More importantly it can have awakened plants attacking companies sitting at any kind of haven. If you have a haven where all attacks are cancelled then you enter an impossible loop where character can't move and creature can't attack.

There has to be some site definition.

Or, we go with something else, like one of the other versions I posted, or a different card altogether.
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Less roadblocky and more thematic to the effect we're (or I'm ) trying to create.
Why more thematic? I thought it was about the forest on your doorstep? I really liked the roadblock stuff :cry: , without it it doesn't make much sense to me, now it's more of a duelling card.
I don't understand the problem, since character can't move if Waiting Shadow is on him, it's not unapropriate for him to face an attack at that site, right? And there can be found ways around the normal keyability, something simple like
"target character's company faces an attack by target creature at the beginning of each organisation fase. Creature is not considered keyed to anything. If all of the strikes fail, discard this card."
Seems perfectly okay to me, character has to stay put, but his friends can decide to stay too and help fight the beast, e.g. if the booster is in play. Face attack(s) at beginning of org. fase, so he can untap, but he can still decide to move if he gets rid of it...
agree with thorsten on this
Jambo wrote:The first version can have ents at Dark-holds, Free-holds and at sites in Coastal Sea regions?! More importantly it can have awakened plants attacking companies sitting at any kind of haven. If you have a haven where all attacks are cancelled then you enter an impossible loop where character can't move and creature can't attack.

There has to be some site definition.
and with Jambo on this, keep the site restriction
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

exactly, not possible, it has thematic... you imagine an ent attacking another ent?
Well like I said, Ent in Search can ask questions to Treebeard now too, so there's no change. The question is, do we need to manifest preference of one card over the other. I'd say yes, AP's should still be playable against Radagast or Ent-allies, Treebeard doesn't controll all the Huorns you know, they have a dark hart.

So perhaps add then:
"any Awakened Plant may be played keyed to a site or region where Blackbole or an ally playable at Wellinghall is present. Awakened Plants my not be played on a company with any of aforementioned allies, unless keyed to sites or regions as mention on the creature card."

this would be good, except of course the any site or region part, which I still think is strange/incorrect.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

hey Marcos, we seem to be on the same level at the precise same time here, for once :lol:
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Well like I said, Ent in Search can ask questions to Treebeard now too, so there's no change. The question is, do we need to manifest preference of one card over the other. I'd say yes, AP's should still be playable against Radagast or Ent-allies, Treebeard doesn't controll all the Huorns you know, they have a dark hart.

So perhaps add then:
"any Awakened Plant may be played keyed to a site or region where Blackbole or an ally playable at Wellinghall is present. Awakened Plants my not be played on a company with any of aforementioned allies, unless keyed to sites or regions as mention on the creature card."

this would be good, except of course the any site or region part, which I still think is strange/incorrect.
ok, fine with me... so a final version would be something like this:

Darkness Under Tree/ waiting shadow V
Permanent-event
All Awakened Plant attacks are doubled. One character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Any Awakened Plant creature can be played against a company that has defeated an Awakened Plant creature during its current movement/hazard phase. In addition, any Awakened Plant creature may be played keyed to a site or non-Coastal Sea region by name where Blackbole or an ally playable at Wellinghall is present. Awakened Plant creatures may not be played on a company with any of the aforementioned allies, unless keyed to sites or regions as stated on the creature card. Awakened plant attacks at shadow holds are not detainment. Cannot be duplicated.

are we ok with this?

Edited to adjust text (jambo)
Edited to add non-detainment on shadow holds (marcos)
Edited to add "by name" (marcos)
Last edited by marcos on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marcos
Council Member

and:

Choking Shadows V
Permanent-event
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant and whose company is moving to a Border-hold [Bh], Ruins & Lairs [Rl], or Shadow-hold [Sh]. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike fails, discard this card. Otherwise place creature's card with Choking Shadows - creature is considered off to the side. The target character may not move to another site and target character's company faces an attack by target creature at the end of each organization phase. Creature is not considered keyed to anything. Discard associated creature's card if Choking Shadows is discarded. Discard Choking Shadows if all creature's strikes fails. Cannot be duplicated on a given character.

we agree with these 2?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

thumbs up! lets book'm.
except I would change the names like suggested earlier for reasons of rarity, any coments on that?
Is there still room on the booster-card (whatever its name) for an 'awakened plant attacks at shadow holds are not detainment?'
Jambo

I adjusted your text slightly to avoid some ambiguities.

So the idea is you could get a Wizard and an Ent or two following hero/minion companies and ploughing them with Awakened Plants creatures whilst at the same time being relatively immune to the card's extra keyability conditions themselves? Presumably the clause for being allowed to play APs against companies with ents or Blackbole also encompasses the region by type on the creature cards, e.g. w, ww, or Bl? If so, maybe this needs clarified? E.g. "region (by name and type)"

The extra keyability for ents and Blackbole is a wee bit clunky and I imagine it will cause confusion, as to what's allowed and what's not, but if Joe's happy to go with these two, then fine by me.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:thumbs up! lets book'm.
except I would change the names like suggested earlier for reasons of rarity, any coments on that?
Is there still room on the booster-card (whatever its name) for an 'awakened plant attacks at shadow holds are not detainment?'
sure why not, everyone else agree on changing their names?:

darkness under tree -> chocking shadows
chocking shadows - > waiting shadow
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I would say no to keyability by type, just by name, because those are the regions they are 'home' to.
It is a bit complicated yes, but not that much really, you can key the AP's to everywhere you company with ally is, or adjacent, except in water, and opponent can do the same for places/regions mentioned on the creature-cards.
Jambo

So, if you're running an AP hazard strat and using this card as a booster, and your opponent happens to play a tree ally, this card essentially suddenly renders your hazard strategy lame, unless you rid yourself of your own 'booster' card or they happen to wander into named regions or sites?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

that is the downside of it, yes, but that's thematically fair. Also, you can play Quickbeam/Blackbole yourself, which is the main ally that this would matter for, because you're not going to key many AP's to the borderlands or single wilderness the other ents can visit anyway.

But, as I suggested it, this theme was meant for a specific Waiting Shadow card originally, now Darkness under Tree, and I still think it's the best option, because the booster will get Voiced anyway. It's just that Joe suggested adding this so it might get playtested.
marcos
Council Member

i'm gettin a little dizzy on this...
AP booster card wrote:Awakened Plant creature may be played keyed to a site or non-Coastal Sea region where Blackbole or an ally playable at Wellinghall is present. Awakened Plant creatures may not be played on a company with any of the aforementioned allies, unless keyed to sites or regions as stated on the creature card
wich seems to be the main problem with this?
The way i see it, the trees can attack at their normal keyability and they are prevented from attacking with this card's special ability. What's wrong with this?
Also remember that the booster (extra attack) still applies. And the other extra keyability (after an AP is defeated) also still applies. So in my oppinion, if that gets to happen, this strategy won't become lame as Jambo said because you still has some more options...

i also vote for keyability by name

Return to “Development”