Fixing Fallen Saruman

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Lordly Presence and Ringlore (unless Ringlore gets Virtualized) still essentially suck for Fallen Saruman.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Or we can decide to have UEP rules in virtual tourneys. :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

We plan to work with Ringlore, so that should be very desirable. Why does Lordly Presence suck? Is it not helpful for bringing into play Half Orcs and Uruk-hai? First of the Order would be useful, maybe even more so for the original version.

Not sure how UEPs figure with virtuals, but my guess is things would get seriously complicated. May of the RW UEPs are no longer as important now that many cards have been designed to promote active RWs.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well, departing from the assumption that most players who accept UEP rules would also welcome/accept virtuals, there is no problem, any conflicting UEP's can be changed/abandoned. I don't think there are that many though, if any, maybe the rw/nazgul ones are less needed but not necessarily conflicting.
However, accepting UEP's in virtual play is more difficult, as I remember there was more politics involved some time ago.
Oh well, it's just a thought, you know I don't like those separate worlds :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Lordly Presence sucks because factions just aren't worth much to Fallen Saruman in terms of MPs. Given that Ringlore (or, if I had my way, Secrets of Their Forging) would help with Ring-gathering, I'd prefer some kind of support card that works with his abilities. For example, Look More Closely Later opens up some interesting options.
Nerdmeetsyou

WHY not just alter the cards he could fetch, instead of altering the card it fetches....

that would solve two problems in one:

first saruman would get a boost!

second these crappy cards could also get a boost in beeing played in hero decks.

so we also have a new version of first of his order already....
but maybe we should overthink it...so it becomes a short event instead!!!???

and about ringlore.... maybe a card that needs overdo on itself to push rings!!! So why not do it that way....
maybe making RINGLORE an anticard for ROLLED DOWN....
seeems like a more logical choice that making a stage card against ROLLED DOWN...
why? because so we could even push RING DECKS for heros instead of just pushing them for fallen!!!

Hm... Lordly present is not a bad card after all.... at least I have a deck where I play three of it....
Of cause it is bad for fallen Saruman.
But I think it would be enough if he had two good cards to fetch!!!!
marcos
Council Member

there is already a version of ringlore being tested in preliminar VC2
Nerdmeetsyou

can you give me the gametext?
i cannot find it anywhere....
marcos
Council Member

Ringlore V2 wrote:Permanent-event (1mp)
"Playable on a sage during the site phase at a site where infomation is playable. Tap the sage but not the site. If a Gold Ring in the same company as a sage with Ringlore is tested you may either add or subtract one to the roll (after the roll). A modified roll cannot be used to reveal The One Ring. If a ring is played following such a test, this card gives 1 MP. You may discard this card to target and cancel Rolled Down to the Sea played earlier in the same chain of effects."
Nerdmeetsyou

NICE...i love it!
Nerdmeetsyou

As already mentioned above, Lordly presence doesn't do anything good for fallen saruman.

Why not make a ring supporting V-card for Lordly presence?
marcos
Council Member

but you can take ringlore, wich does help with rings, and as it is playable on a site wich info is playable, it has great sinergy with man of skill
Nerdmeetsyou

Also there is Baugur...
which might also be a good choice for a "Fallen Saruman Specific" character... if anybody has got a good idear for it.
marcos
Council Member

i think that a strident spawn makes baugur rather playable by FW saruman... but i guess that a specific character could be something different, will have to see if there are any good ideas about that
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

After a few games with the Fallen Saruman VC2 cards, I think we've hit about the right balance with the cards we have -- the Virtual Ringlore/Secrets of Their Forging make him absolutely brutal with an active Ring gathering deck (using non-Virtual Fallen Saruman, to boot), and the extended options for MPs provided by his Virtual version are as versatile as I hoped (I cannot begin to express what a relief it is for him to be able to get 3 MPs from factions). Any more would probably be over the top, I think.

Return to “Development”